Old 08-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #211
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,199
Talking Found a bug?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie
and you have just made mine!

We have had 3 solid weeks of rain (and i mean solid, lots of flooding) and today the sun is out!

Tagesk, the mount for your camera is the Ram mount one with the screw that goes up underneath into the camera? It is secure enough? Is your camera's female thread plastic or metal?

(and you called me 'Sir' - the honour does not sit well upon me but as your friend i will endure it!)

Come and ride NZ with me and stay with my family soon!

Yours, as ever

Shane
When I grew up I was taught that you should treat everyone you don't know with great respect. Now, shiwing respect is not the same as "not being rude". Part of showing respect for people was to use the means available to us in the grammar of the language.
Now in Norwegian, as German, and to an even grater extent Italian, has grammar to show respect without having to say it. For example, in Norwegian I would have written "Hper se Dem snart" rather than "Hper se deg snart" which translates into "I hope to see 'you' soon". Where the form of 'you' indicates that I hold you in high esteem. Regardless of it is becuase you are King, or becuase by default, people are to be regarded with great respect.
In English there is no way to convey anyting like that, expect by starting the thing with Sir. After all, writing "My highly esteemed reader" sounds a little over the top, or what?
All this modulo the fact that English is my third language and I don't know sh*t about it

Sir,
The "riding camera" is screwed onto the RAM mount by means of the big screw. The threads are plastic so it is important not to tighten too much as they will tear. The camera stays fixed with no issues what so ever.

I tried to find New Zeland on Google Earth but the globe turned up-side-down so I probably tripped a bug or something.

I have a friend whos daughter married a man from New Zeland. He goes twice a year to visit his grand children. He tells horror stories from the travel, and needs two weeks to recover from the jet-lag.
But you never knows - I almost went to Brisbane (next door) a few years ago. I even rented a GoldWing for three weeks planning to ride around the "island" together with Capa della Famiglia. But then she made it clear that if we did that, there would be no trip to Italy that year.

So I sent a student to Brisbane (to present this paper) and then went to Toscana for holiday.

Anyway - please write a Ride Report for us to enjoy!

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 01:45 AM   #212
bLaCk 8east
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk
Notice that she rode the red CBR and not the blue R6. Still hot enough?

[TaSK]
I didn't even know she had a bike until now you had mentioned it
Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 AM   #213
MattW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Sir,
I notice that you have chosen my little thred for your very first posting. I find that mighty inspireing (however that might be spelled - doesn't look right as it is, but ). I promise that if you ever venture, with your GS obviously, over the Alps and then over the Appennini, I'll serve you a lavish lunch in my garden.
Before lunch we'll use my vacuum-meter to adjust your throttle bodies to perfect balance. Then a nap, and a trip to the Ocean to watch the sun set.
If that is to your liking, that is.

[TaSK]
"to my liking" - you must be joking! - what better reason could there be to get a GS and visit Tuscany :)

I look forward to being able to lunch with you Tagesk.

best

Matt

MattW screwed with this post 08-06-2008 at 05:32 AM
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 02:36 PM   #214
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Talking Your huble servant

This is to prove once and for all that I do it all for you!
I appreciate my readers so much I ride all over Toscana and have lunches just to make you happy.
A RR from todays hard work is forthcoming. I just had to post this one.
For you!

[TaSK]
Old 08-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #215
musicman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Tagesk, of all the many ride reports I have read, this is my favorite. I have ridden in Italy a few times and you not only captured the essense of the place, but also will help me enjoy it all the more when I return. I will be back in Tuscano in Septemeber and will certainly retrace some of your rides and eat at your favorite cafes. I hope I have a chance to treat you to lunch in appreciation of your excellent information and witty style.

Yes, the vest is quite ugly!

musicman screwed with this post 08-10-2008 at 12:54 PM
musicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:59 PM   #216
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Thumb Eastern border - Going there

Today map is here.

Yesterday Capa delle Famiglia spent all day at the beach. Good for her. I stayed all day in the house, doing exiting work such as translating webpages, writing documentation of computer systems, and so on. Outright thrilling.
Of course you have been deceived by a continuous Ride Report to believe I live some sort jet-set life down here. But I don't. I work hard for my bread. very hard. And, more importantly: I am at the bottom of the food chain. Today, for example, for reasons that will be left in the shadow, my simple assignment is to ride to the east-msot point in Tuscany and snap a picture of the bike by the sign (that we believe is there). As you will see, riding for a living isn't quite as glamourus as riding for leisure.
Normally I read maps while eating breakfast, but I also have to plan dinner. And today I am researching farro. It is a sort of grain. The home made lemon marmelade goes very well with cappuccino. As always!

First I need to fill the tank. I'm in line behind a typical Italian scooter; noone rides the Vespa with a 50 cc engine any more.
Notice the price: If I type "1.48 euro per liter in dollars per gallon" into Google (try it here) I am told it is 8.40 US dollar per US gallon. Need I say more?

As proof of how drearly life can be, I offer you this image taken on the high way (Fi-Pi-Li) on my way east. I mean, Toscana can be nice, and have a few things to offer. But if you need to get from one end to the other as fast as possibel, you'll end up here. And life here is simply awful. I guess this is what you call "sluper slab" over there.
Quality is not so good but it is still by on-board camera and the speed is about 100 km/h.

I race from Pisa east on Fi-Pi-Li to Firenze. There I enter the Autostrada proper, and fly down to Arezzo. From there east to Sansepolcto. Just a few mountaions separate me from todays assignment.
The pass above Sansepolcro is named Bocca Trabaria. The surface on the road up there is of excellent quality, and the last part has six nice hair pins with long streights between them. For "obvious" reasons the limit is 60 km/h and it would not be wise of me to claim I ride any faster.
If you take the two minutes it take, you'll se that in the third hairpin I meet a car that is fully in MY LANE
Even though I manages to avoid him, it was not pleasent experience. If I had hit the brakes I would surely have low-sided. But I didn't, did I?

The first little town I arrive at is Lamoli. You can't accuse the owner of the bar for excessive advertising (only the chairs outside reveils there is a bar inside). Cool car - an old man arrived in it as I was taking off my AGATT.

I've almost crossed Italia at this point (look at the map) and done about 220 km, so I deserve a cup of coffee. The cappuccino isn't bad, but wasn't made with the care and attention I like. It is, however, the Real Thing, and I enjoy sitting in the cool bar. It is 35C outside by now (95F).

I am heading out in the moutains, and contemplate to fill the tank again. I find this automat on a gas station. As you the see, in the upper left-hand corner it doesn't accept credit cards any more. So I give it a ten-euro bill and, Lo and Behold, it works. Again, sorry about the quality.

Refilled and refreshed, I head for the east-most point. It isn't in this valley, but the next one. So I cross some hills. There I encounter the worst pavement I have ever experienced. It is proper asphalt, but with a 5 cm thick layer of normal road-gravel on top. I have no idea of what the purpose is, but anything harder to ride on is hard to envision.

The only comfort during my ordeal is a nice oak tree, under which I can park my bike and rest a while. It is about one o'clock, and the sun is without mercy. The colours aren't as nice as I had hoped. I will have to come back here an afternoon as the sun is setting the and soft colours make the whole setting worth a picture.
It is very hot, so I sit for a while in the shadow, drink a bottle of water, and refrain from smoking.

The road becomes worse and worse. And steeper and steeper. Here, as always "It is steeper that it looks", the road continues ahead, so steep it drops out of vew. But I make it down without dropping the bike.

And then, finally, at 13:45 I am at the east-most point in Toscana. I hope my boss finds this picture worth a while day of riding.
I note that it is 13:45 becuase we all know, getting lunch becomes hard after 14:00. And I am dangerously close. Danger!

Becuase of the danger of having to force down a panini or something, I rush into the nearest village. That village, do my deep regret, isn't in Toscana, but in Marche. But I hoep that you all forgive me - pranzo is too important to not be allowed to leave Toscana for a few minutes.
I start with farfalle con verdure. Often these vegetable sauces are tasteless and uninteresting, but this one was very nice. And the parmesan was very fresh. So fresh that I take a little more than I should. It hides some of the taste of teh sauce. But it is OK.

For secondo I have a insalata con tonno e formaggio. Normally I don't fancy terra and mare together. But tuna is in a class for itself, and the combination worked well.
The bread is a story in itself: They were out of bread (late, you know) and offered me grissini instead. I probably looked very offended, so she said "Wait a moment". She returned with this extrordinay fresh, crispy on teh outside and very, very soft on the inside, bread. Simply wonderful!

Fully satisfied with the lunch, even at this late hour, I venture outside. There I did one of the most fulfilling things one can do in such a state of mind: Write a letter to a friend.

The return will be documented in the next installment.

Thank you for your attention; don forget the map.

[TaSK]
Old 08-10-2008, 01:20 PM   #217
musicman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Re your "worst pavement". I encountered the same surface riding to the top of Gran Sasso last year. Asphalt with a coating of loose gravel... like riding on marbles. What made it worse was that the pavement looked the same with or without the gravel on top so you had to look straight down in front of the bike constantly. Never touched my front brake for about 20 kilometers.

You never mentioned the road surface in Sicily in your report. The "aggregate" component is marble chips in most of the older roads there, not hard gravel as used in the USA and the rest of Italy. Being soft, it wears quickly down to the binder and into a very slick surface with little traction. My front tire slipped out twice in the first moderate-speed corner I took which kept me riding slow for several days. Fortunately, the wonderful twisties up and down Mt. Etna were paved with conventional asphalt. Apparently moto riders from all over Eastern Sicily meet there to ride on decent pavement.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #218
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Quote:

The road becomes worse and worse. And steeper and steeper. Here, as always "It is steeper that it looks", the road continues ahead, so steep it drops out of view. But I make it down without dropping the bike.
I'm happy to see that you do some fuoristrada after all !
Nicely done, mate !
/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #219
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Thumb Eastern border - coming home

The map is here.

To recap: Todays assignment was to snap a picture of the bike at the east-most point in Toscana. So I ride there (it's a dirty job but someone has to do it). On they way back my orders are to check out small and (possibly) interesting places. I'm in a valley, and I will follow the main road down, while checking out things as I ride down.
The first one is the Sasso di Simone National Park. Not very interesting (from the seat of a GS, at least). But, Lo and Behold, as I ride down again I meet this car (image from this page) What is it, is explained here. It takes some time for to realize what it is (it is rather funnly looking, top heavy as a GS :-). I met him at N43.72402 E12.33093. So when (if?) the images become available you should be able to notice a very good-looking yellow vest! I'lll keep an eye on it for you (I know you are thrilled!).

Next thing is the village (town?) of Sestino. I don't really know what they are most famous for, but they sport three things that are all very important to me: There was a large Roman town here, they raise the Chianina cattle, and they harvest truffels. Truffles are nice, but from the Chianina cattle you get Bistecca Fiorentina. If you haven't tasted a well made Bistecca alla Fiorentina, served with good olive oil and lemon from the garden, and a ten years old Brunello to go with it, well, then you have not lived. OK, a little over the top, but you get the idea.

Here are some Bistecca alla Fiorentina in the making. So to speak.
It is interesting to notice that the Italian version of Wikipedia as the most obvious thing in the word has an good article about Bistecca alla Fiorentina. The Italians might not be so proficient in organising things, getting the buses to depart on time, dealing with taxes and other more marginal things. It is worth noting that he Italian Wikipedia article on taxes isn't longer than the on Bistecca alla Fiorentina; I actually find it hilarious
But the food.

OK, let me ride on. Unfortunately I wasn't prepared to find a Roman town here, and the museum is supposted to be very nice. But I am not prepared so I have to come back (how awful!). Nice statue of a Roman soldier.

I criss-cross the countryside, riding on small roads, pass though countless villages, take a lot of pictures.
In the village of Colcellalto I told that there is a bar at the beginning of the village.

The bar is closed, but the note says " (I) am in the garage". I don't know where that migth be, so I ask the boy sitting there for help to get a coffee and a bottle of water. He hollers out Mama, ce' qui un signore e lui vorebbe un caffe' and out of a garage comes a very nice lady that opens the bar for me.

But then, as I have had my espresso and s small dolce, and I sit outside drinking a bottle of water dreaming of being able to smoke just a single sigar, then I suddenly get this very strong urge to get home. Very often when I am off by my self like this, I get to this point in the late afternoon. And then, then I race home.
I stop for several seconds next to the very nice medieval town of Anghiari (need to return), and I race on.

Then I plan to stop for several seconds at the monument I find in a curve deep in a forest. But I remain for a while, listning to the silence. Becuase the marble reads:
In memory of the patriots
Mazzi Sabatino, 22 years
Fransceschi Francesco, 20 years
Checcaglini Pasqvale, 19 years
Riponi Enrico, 19 years
Calabresi Tommaso, 18 years
that at sunset on the 26th of June 1944
sacrefied their youth
for the libery of the country
when they at this pillar
were strangeld in a barbarian way
by the evil Germans
and their Italian facist collaborators
522 km.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:45 AM   #220
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by task
I stop for several seconds next to the very nice medieval town of Anghiari (need to return), and I race on.
Indeed ! a famous battle occurred here. (A guy from a town near your's even did a drawing ;) )

Did u pay a visit to Sansepolcro ? Worth it, really.

keep going, we're tuned ;)

/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #221
Extreme Velcro
Vegan Junk Food Addict

Oddometer: 8,072
Ok - loving this and now just posting so that I know I can get updates....

Jeez, its hard to stay on top of ride reports here ! I'm exhausted !
Old 08-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #222
bigsteve950adv
White Trash Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,181

Lived in this town all my life...and still got my own front teeth

05 KTM 950 Adventure

87 KTM 350 MX

82 MAICO 250 Alpha 1 Enduro...went to the big welsh bog in the sky
bigsteve950adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #223
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktos
Indeed ! a famous battle occurred here. (A guy from a town near your's even did a drawing ;) )

Did u pay a visit to Sansepolcro ? Worth it, really.

keep going, we're tuned ;)

/thierry
Probably a nice drawing, but the other genius won the competition. So his was probably even better. I mean, who would want that second-rate stuff from Leonardo?

When my FD failed I was stranded in Sansepolcro. Stayed a full day (Sunday), the night, and most of Monday waiting for repair. Nice town indeed. Ride report here. In Norwegian - but nice picture of a failed FD (click on it for details). The funny thing was that when we had dinner that Sunday night, the waiter tried to comfort me by saying that I was probably l'unico del mondo that had ever been stranded on a BMW. That was before I had found GSpot

But tomorrow I fly to Norway. I have rented a R1200GS so there might be some pictures of fjords and mountains with snow on them here in two weeks time.

Thank you very much for paying attention to my humble thread here on ADVrider. And do come and visit me again!

[TaSK]
Old 08-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #224
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Outstanding as always

Read the last 4 pages and must say that the people while reading the RR you set in your thread, really can get the feeling of the location, the food, the wine, the smell and the taste of everything.

Thank you for taking us along again Task. Wish you safe trip and adventurous two weeks in homeland,

and I'll come and visit again for sure, maybe in October we'll drop by to Tuscany for 5-6 days

www.lobagola.com Bed & Breakfast in Zagreb
Frgich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #225
skeptic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Thumb

I have nothing to add but sincere gratitude for your wonderful report. All of your reports are exquisit and memorable. I feel guilty not thanking you for each report, but I am sure there are innumerable lurkers who feel the same.
skeptic is offline   Reply With Quote