Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 PM   #601
slowpoke69
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Good living son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagesk

I spent an evening reading the most absurde reports from the Iron Butt Ralley. Hello? Riding 20.000 km i a little more than one week? Holy Mackerel! Oh well, to be culturally connected, I shoudl probably say something along the lines of Holy Brunello; oh well, regardless:
Next thought: How far is it, actually?

Here I must make a tiny digression. The thing is: I am well adversed in designing and conducting experiments. In fact, in my former life I was a university professor, making my living by conducting experiments, and teching students how to do so. Suffice to say that making an experiment is not quite as simple as one should think. Anyway, in my new life I have used my former skills for what it mmight be wort. For example (no pun intended!): Two years ago we examined with great care the following problem: Does Barolo (the wine) taste better in Barolo (the place) than in Toscana?

The picture was taken while the experiment was ongoing! The while scientific report (with pictures) can be studied here. It is enctypted for security. At any rate: It is unlikely that you'll be able to read it. But the essence is: We got there on our bikes.

With this backrgound it is obvious that there is only one way fir me to get a better understanding of what it implies to ride 12.000 miles in 11 days. I'll ride 1.000 miles in one day and make some projections. But since I live on the Old Continent, I'll do the 1600K instead.

In other words: Today Bamsefar and I have done more than 1.610 km together. As the weather was really crappy, and I didn't know how far it aw so I couldn't spend time taking cool pictures, you'll have to accept what I got.

Since I am a computer Geek, my plan for tyday is available for you to study on Google (cool, or what?). As you can see, Google report that the tour is 1.612 km, but a more careful pre-study in MapSource (that came with my Garmin Zumo) reveils that it is more like 1.680 km. In other words: We have a plan.

Getting up before I "should" is for me much, much harder than getting into bed later that I should. Or, in other words: it has no purpose for me to get up in the middle of the night just to get a long day. I'll be so wasted after lunch that I'll be dangerous for my self and others. Thus, I get up at 07:30 as usual, have my cappuccino and two slices of fresh bread with jam made by a neigbhour from aprictos he has in his garden - yummi! I loat my Zumo with waypoints and create a route; this will turn out to work flawlessly!

The forcast says that the rain that has kept us inside for 10 consectutive days (!) will run out during the night, it will be a little cloudy in the morning, but then clear sky. When I get up at 07:00 is has just rained, but it is not raining. Goodie! I ride down the local station to get my receipt (read the IBA pages to understand the importance of this step). I'm there at 08, and I fill up the tank, check the tyres, and I am ready to go.
But....they have problems with their computer and it is not before 08:30 I finally obtain my receipt. I reset the Zumo at home (2 km from the station), and the reults of hanging around there for half an hour will be evident later.

ANyway, I have been ten minutes on the bike when it starts to rain. And it doesn't stop, so before I know it I am soaked When I finally find a place to stop to pull on my rain gear it is too late. Argh! I have a (very!) cold and damp journy. After 240 km I stop to refuel - rally style, not even getting off the bike. I reach Roma, and turn east.

When I get the yellow light I stop at the first station. It is almost noon, I have done 470 km (292 miles) and it is time for lunch. The Zumo says that including the wasted in the morning 30 minutes I have a total average speed of 101 km/h (63 mph) and a running average of 115 km/h. The speed limit is 130 km/t and as I (try to) keep it 115 isn't bad at all over 470 km!

Lunch, however, must be sacreficed today. I grab a panino and a bottle of water, eat it quickly, and then have an espresso. Proper crema on the espresso, but with no proper lunch, being wet, and the termomether showing only 5C I'm not looking jolly good. And look that sky - no sun to be seen.
And, My Good, that yellow west is ugly! But it works, so the professor in me tell me to continue to wear it

The road climbes up, then winds down. And suddenly I'm at the Adriatic Ocean! I stop the bike to snap a quick photo, and Lo and Behold, just then the sun suddenly pops out. Just for two minutes, but it is enough! I race up north along the coast (in case you forgot the ineniary, it is still here) and stop every 200 km for fuel.

At about four I stop for what one in lack of a better word could call dinner. I take two panini. They are not pre-packed (she put them in the trays for me), they are fresh, the bread is nice, the prociutto is good, and so on. But, alas, dinner is supposeed to be a little antipasti, then a primo, a substantial secondo, and then some dolce to finish it off. And a bottle of water is no substitute for Chianti. What sacrifices a man must endure!

When the Autostrada pulls away from the coast it enter the Pianura Padana (plain of Po). It is not like those two-day rides without a turn that I read about from the central parts of the US, but it is still quite flat. And humid. And cold. Which is why smart people lilves in Tuscany and not in Milano. ehem - let's move on.
The tank on my GS is too small. With an average of some more than 100 km/t I am out of petrol in about two hours. What a whimp! How could I have gotten accross Austraila when I can't even get from Rimini to Padova without refuling at least once? I get an attendant to snap a photo of Bamsefar 9with his new Hella FF-100), and me. It is not Bombay Sapphire that makes my nose red, it is lights rain and 5C (that would be....let me type into Google... 41F). Argh - that yellow west is ugly! You are also free to say "My God - look at that picture. Not only does his bike look like a Christmas tree, he even has white reflex on the front of his hemlet - I bet you he has red reflex on the back ". Sigh - safety and security used to be my field of expertice. What more can I say?

In the evening I start to jump in for an espresso every time I have to stop for fuel (about every second hour). Mostly in order to get into the warm bar. But even at the bar at a random petrol station will the espresso be decent. I love this country!

I run west until I get to Bologna, then I turn north and cross the plan up to Padova. Then I turn west again towards Milano.

I pass Milano on my way west, I come to Novara, and I head south towards Genova. As I climb up on the mountains a red lamp start flashing on the dash. I stop to examine. It seems to be the frost-warning light. But it should't flash - there doesn't seem to be any reason for it to flash. Not as far as I can determine, at least. I ignore it and ride on. Soon I am down by the ocean, I turn south and after a while I am back in Toscana. Ah, almost home!

As you can see, I rode 1.686 km today (1.047 miles) with a total average speed of 98 km/h (60 mph) and a running average of 112 km/h. I flagrantly broke the sped limit on one occation when I almost missed an exit and had to dash past two truck to squeeze in. The while experiment took 17 hours with two hours spend refuling and having a total of four espressi. The meter on the bike tries to tell me that I have done 1.755 km today for an added value of about 4%. I'll send a letter to IBA as soon as I find the time.

Now, what did we learn from this experiment? First and foremost that the Iron Butt Rally is not for me. And that riding 12.000 miles in 11 days is an unbeliveable accomplishment. We also understood that January might not be the ideal time fo the year for such experiments.

Regardless of how good I feel about myself, there is a reason! Do not forget that all this was possible only because Capa della Famiglia is not at home! So? Well, what about dinner? It is two-thirty, and making a proper dinner at this hour is out of the question. But I did not have lunch, e ora ho fame. I'll have to settle for some junk-food.
I cut four slices of fresh bread, some nice procutto that was recommended to me by a neigbhour who works as a butcher, and spread duetto (mascarpona mixed with gorgonzola) on two of them as dessert. Add ample supply of Chianti. And, since I am such a naught boy, I'll have a non-trivial amount of grappa to finish it off.

Thank you for your attention!

[TaSK]
I could dine with you, I had a good bit of grappa at Verrazano winery when I was in Italy in 08, LOVED IT! Make sure you have some good vino for me!
slowpoke69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:29 AM   #602
OneOff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69
I could dine with you, I had a good bit of grappa at Verrazano winery when I was in Italy in 08, LOVED IT! Make sure you have some good vino for me!

Seriously?... you quoted all of that (which by the way I enjoyed reading again) just so you could add 1 line at the bottom?
Old 05-04-2010, 05:32 AM   #603
quicktoys2
ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer: 630
hmmmmm ...... should we start the countdown to your Greek ride report???

some time soon I hope

Soto
Old 05-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #604
Viking
驥t tr鷢der!!

Oddometer: 441
Good to see the Norwegian expats are involved in very serious activities contributing to man kind in the best way we can. I liked the "non trivial amount of Grappa."
I do as well experiment with activities that puzzles my new Canadian countrymen and it is explained by them as a new saying we have here. "Hmmm, must be a Norwegian thing."

I am really looking forward to your Greece trip report, but please lets not rush so much that certain pleasures of life are passed by...
Bjorn
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:11 AM   #605
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,217
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktoys2
some time soon I hope
Soto

Even though we had "planned" to stay on the main land, we were convinced by an inmate here to
visit Εύβοια. He described how to find a certain gas station where we would meet.
As the gas station there was also a large restaurant. Outside was a bus, and inside everyone from a village somewhere
in the mountains. Obviously, we were immediately invited in for food, and, later, Capa Superiore
were drawn in to what looked to me as a re-enactment of Zorba the Greek.

So here you are: Capa Superiore dancing συρτάκι.

Working, working, working, .......

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #606
slowpoke69
Studly Adventurer

Damn,damn,damn!!!

Quote:
I seem to recall that when you were here during Christmas, you
only got coffee and some cantuccini; you need to return for a proper meal!

I don't ride up to Colonnata, for two reasons. The first is that I almost, almost, almost lowsided on the piazza
The second is that even though the quarries there are OK, and the lardo is indeed nice (one panino, not two ), it is also crowded.
The quarry I know about near Arni is deserted. And, as you can see, the view is stunning.

I have two places I bring riders (in the context of marble). I've made you a map here. Up at Campo Cecina there are two places to have lunch.

Since no-one can hear us, let me tell you a secret: Tuscany for Friends. Not official yet, so don't tell anyone!
It can be your venue to have lunch(es) and dinner(s) here.

[TaSK]
I wish I'd found this awhile back,that's my birthday, would've been a great present for myself! The 1st time I was in Italy I wasn't on a bike,I won't make that mistake again!
Old 05-08-2010, 04:25 PM   #607
tagesk OP
Tuscan rider

Oddometer: 3,217
Thumb Tuscany for Friends

The Honorable Mr. Cooltours took this picture of Capa and me today. We were dragging the
left peg as the picture was taken.

Or, in other words: High velocity travel was today's theme. Chianti was the setting.
The mix was very nice, indeed.

[TaSK]
Proud contributor to Wisdom and GSpot FAQ and European Ride Report Index.
IBA: 33616
tagesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #608
IDScarecrow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:

[TaSK]
This photo is actually more impressive when you straighten the horizon. Although then the road line isn't level, if you look at the posts in the field, the trees, and the horizon, this is closer to the true vertical:

Looks like you are having fun!

IDScarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #609
canuk_guy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Tage ... how did Capa feel about hearing and feeling the peg dragging around the corner???

Still awaiting the ride report

Cheers, Guy
aka canuk_guy
canuk_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #610
atermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
and then he goes around whining that the rear tire wears too quickly
Mr Task it's time you come to terms with your inner hooligan
footpegs are a wear n tear piece.

post some gelato for us
atermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 AM   #611
g容g
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuk_guy
Tage ... how did Capa feel about hearing and feeling the peg dragging around the corner???

Still awaiting the ride report

Cheers, Guy
aka canuk_guy
reminds me of that BMW ad

"after 20 years of marriage... she's holding me tighter than ever"

sorry no bigger pic to be found

great shot

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #612
MichaelJ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
The Honorable Mr. Cooltours took this picture of Capa and me today.
Ah! I'm glad to see that Ren is getting out of the house at last.

52 days until my flight leaves for Frankfurt and I'm reunited with my sweetie (who is being warehoused at Stefan Knopf's place).
Michael J. - IBA #3901
Ten years in the Alps (so far)
Alpine Trip Reports: 2006, 2007, 2009
Pictures, pictures and more pictures
MichaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:19 PM   #613
slowpoke69
Studly Adventurer

Damned computers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Reliable
Seriously?... you quoted all of that (which by the way I enjoyed reading again) just so you could add 1 line at the bottom?
Sorry, not very good on the computer. I tried to quote just the last line, about the Grappa, oh well!
Old 05-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #614
BigKev72
ANZAC

Oddometer: 826
Grappa is good stuff! I have a bottle at the house at the moment that is halfway killing me every time I have a glass...some Sardinian stuff, quite evil!

1992 BMW K75RT (sold)
1988 R80GSPD (sold)
1990 Suzuki RGV500 (sold cos I was scared)
1990 Suzuki GSXR1100 (sold to buy the RGV)
1986 Suzuki GSX550 ESD (ridden into the ground)
1987 Suzuki GN250 (gave away)
1986 Suzuki TS250 (sold)
1976 Yamaha DT250 (sold)
BigKev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:04 AM   #615
OneOff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke69
Sorry, not very good on the computer. I tried to quote just the last line, about the Grappa, oh well!
Aw crap Slowpoke, now I feel bad. I must learn to be more patient.

When you reply using a quote, just highlight everything in the original quote that you don't want and delete it, so that you are left with the bit you want with the "[quote]"s at the start and end.