User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2007, 03:15 PM   #1
cyclewizard OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,811
83 XL600R twin flat slide carbs

I got a 83 XL600 twin carb, I'm thinking of putting twin flat slide 32mm carbs on it. Anybody done this or knows of a site that has info for the swap?

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #2
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
I havn't read of that swap yet, but this site or http://www.thumpertalk.com/ would be your best bet for the info in North America.
Here are a couple other sites you could search, but you might need http://babelfish.altavista.com/ to do some translating:
http://www.xl600.de/site/
http://www.hondaxl.it/
There is also some good stuff here:
http://justxr.com/justxr.html
http://www.xlintperformance.com/index.htm
http://www.oldrice.com/xl_page.htm
Good luck on your quest.
If you figure it out, please post a report here.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,031
Tough to change carbs on the 80s Honda XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard
I got a 83 XL600 twin carb, I'm thinking of putting twin flat slide 32mm carbs on it. Anybody done this or knows of a site that has info for the swap?
The main problem with this conversion is that the intake has two ports for each of the carbs--you will have to match the twin carbs to low and higher volume air. You might be better off modding the existing Honda carbs.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:32 PM   #4
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,760
I think it would be better to swap in a XR600R head and single carb from something parted out on Ebay but I am no expert.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #5
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnakx250
I think it would be better to swap in a XR600R head and single carb from something parted out on Ebay but I am no expert.
Single carb heads are very difficult to make work on the XL600R frame because the rear shock is dead centre, with one carb intake boot on either side of it. Single carb frames have the rear shock offset a bit to one side to accomidate it.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #6
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,760
OOPS! My bad.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:47 PM   #7
cyclewizard OP
Beastly Adventurer

carb mods

Is there any good carb mods I can do instead of swaping out for the 32's.
On my 83 model the primary carb has a 125 main an the secondary has a 112 main. Would 120 mains be better on both carbs?
How could I get the second carb to open at the same time as the primary carb? Also this bike has a reed valve, should I get rid of that?
It seems like you shouldn't need it since the 84 an up did not have one.
The bike runs great, But I would like to get all the performance I can out of the ole gal. I'm also going to get my exhaust jet hot coated.
For a 125.00 bucks I think it's well worth it.

thanks
Pop's

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclewizard
Is there any good carb mods I can do instead of swaping out for the 32's.
On my 83 model the primary carb has a 125 main an the secondary has a 112 main. Would 120 mains be better on both carbs?
How could I get the second carb to open at the same time as the primary carb? Also this bike has a reed valve, should I get rid of that?
It seems like you shouldn't need it since the 84 an up did not have one.
The bike runs great, But I would like to get all the performance I can out of the ole gal. I'm also going to get my exhaust jet hot coated.
For a 125.00 bucks I think it's well worth it.

thanks
Pop's
What you have is a 2 stage carb, this allows for higher intake velocity (vacuum) and better fuel atomization at low RPM, (= better throttle response) while on the primary carb. As opposed to a single larger carb which would decrease intake velocity (vacuum) at smaller throttle openings, and give poor throttle response. You then have the secondary (right side) carb that starts to open at about 1/2 throttle. You end up with a larger carb at wide open settings than if you had a larger single carb. Trust me a single 60mm carb would not work as well as your 2 stage (dual 30mm = 60mm) carb. The reed valve between the two intake ports, function is to deliver an air/fuel mixture through both intake valves while on the primary carb. without it you would only be supplying air/fuel through the left intake valve from idle to 1/2 throttle. This would cause the right intake valve to run hot, because there would be no cooling effect of the incoming air/fuel mixture on the intake valve, and this would also not fill the big 100mm bore evenly. Also the jetting on each carb is different because each carb has to handle different throttle openings. There is some overlap in their operation. Essentially you have all the benefits of a large carb at full throttle, and all the benefits of a smaller carb from idle to half throttle.
I had an early "83" that I bought new, and could not get the bike off the dealers lot, due to persistent stalling at idle. I mean the bike would shut off if left to idle for 2 minutes. The bike would also stall when chopping the throttle approaching a red light. There was a technical bulletin on the "83" XL600R for "slow speed drivability". The update included if I remember correctly, new needles for each carb, a new insulator (intake manifold) which had a passage between both ports, a new CDI box with a different ignition advance curve. They then removed the limiter cap from the mixture screw and adjusted the mixture. These bikes were so lean they would not idle from the factory. I believe the bikes that received the slow speed drivability update from the dealer were to have a center punch mark on the engine next to the engine serial number. I dont know how many bikes were involved, but they were performing this update on "83's" in dealer inventory prior to delivery. Or at least they were supposed too. It was rather dangerous having a 600cc kick start only bike shut off in traffic. But the update combined with a supertrapp slip-on made a huge difference.
I hope this helps some......Tech23
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
cyclewizard OP
Beastly Adventurer

That's some great info, I'll check for the update an see if it was done.
Thanks for your help.

Pop's