I need another one...

Oddometer: 1,262
next was Rhyolite

Redbull Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #152
vegasphotog
Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer: 3,259
great fucking thread and awesome pics! Way to represent Wheeldog!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 AM   #153
CrazyCarl
The Eternal NooB

Oddometer: 420
Great RR! I've seen lots of DV pics but when you add some detailed personal experiences to it, it really comes alive. I think DV has just made my list of places to ride. I'll take a 250 with soft saddle bags though. I like the NX. :)

Looks like the bikes protested a bit at Mengel Pass. How did the Beemers fare over the rocks? The group have any problems with the difference in engine sizes?

Awesome pics from everyone and cool video clips. In that kind dramatic landscape a small 3ccd video camera would be sweet.

Quality!

CC
CrazyCarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:50 AM   #154
Redbull Addict OP
I need another one...

I'm just having some fun with this.

http://gallery.mac.com/redbull_addict#100000
Old 12-12-2007, 06:59 AM   #155
Doghouse_Riley
Wannabe Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 2,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat
it wasn't just the altitude it was the bends from the scuba dive you took the day before during that water crossing.... ...man sorry we didn't see you....we could have helped and laughed at the same time....

For those who didn't hear...86d4life, doghouse, Osii and I were out looking for a track north of Ryolite...I went off to the North East where in the path was a normal looking puddle not unlike the other 6" deep puddles I had crossed that day...so off I went....when the entire front tire disappeared and I couldn't see for the water on my face I knew things were different.. ...a twist of the throttle and a prayer later I was across...shaking and giggling in my helmet as I knew 86d' was 15 seconds behind me....plenty of time to warn him..but as we have known each other for years and he routinely rips my head off during his Jiu Jitsu classes...I passed on the warning....hiiilarious...he pulls up half pissed half cracking up...then doghouse rounds the bend....Well we just met him ( 1 other ride for me)..so we start waving frantically...but he was already focused on the water...I will let him finish the story if he chooses....
I hit that puddle and watched my front tire sink in until just some black was showing at the top. I think to myself, "Fuck, that's a lot deeper than I thought!" but I powered through and made it out.

Nowwhat and 86d were going to scout ahead while I went back and found Osii. The last thing I heard Nowwhat say was, "go around the puddle." Did I listen? I thought, "hey I made it once I can make it again." But not enough power on take off got me stuck partway. The mud was so deep even I couldn't touch ground. I fell over. Luckily I was close enough to the edge that most of me was out of the puddle. The problem was my leg was still stuck in 18" of mud and now there's an XR650L on top of it. From where I was lying I could only lift the bike a few inches at which point I would pull on my leg as hard as I could and maybe I pull my foot another 1/4" out of the mud. Then I'd have to let the bike down again and rest and try again. It took about 10 minutes of this before I got my leg out. Picture of bike in puddle to follow.

Canis meus id comedit.
Doghouse_Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:23 AM   #156
MojaveGS
Loving it!

Oddometer: 3,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by IB Mike
Then I noticed a fella standing near the sign, giving us the
Turns out it was MojaveGS.

You sir have been conned by one of the many imposters claiming to be me. Probably another one of the groupies dreaming again.

Seriously, I was not even in the states.
VTTMZFPKWGDKZXTJCDIGKUHUAUEKCAR
MojaveGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:23 AM   #157
canpile
Trail User

Oddometer: 638
Farki'n beautiful fellas!!! I sooooooo wanted to be there with y'all! See you at DVD........
canpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #158
julianuk
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thumb

Great report and amazzzing pics, didn't relise it snowed there.

Thanks for the .KMz files RBA, I was there (Vertually (In google earth only)) Though did lose track of the group at some places

julianuk screwed with this post 12-12-2007 at 04:15 PM
julianuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #159
Redbull Addict OP
I need another one...

Day 3 was pretty uneventful for me
Can't say the same for H8chains....

I found Joel by the side of the highway staring at his bike...

So I did what any red blooded american would do....I stole it.

Old 12-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #160
aalegado
Team Gear Whore

Oddometer: 477
Wow. Great pics! Next time I won't wuss out and leave so early.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:37 PM   #161
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,161
RiverRat wrote, and posted a video:
HTML Code:
 Walk back to the bike and make it look EZ.
First, Thanks RR for getting that on video. The funny thing was to me, that I thought I was bouncing way out of control, and prolly did a wheelie over at least one of those boulders.

As easy as it looked in the video, and as apprehensive as I was doing it, shows what a bunch of n00Bs we really were.

.............anyway, it was a fun weekend and it was great meeting those of you that I did. Next ride for the rest of you all.

I gotta Thank Redbull Addick again......way past the call of duty.

Ratman, Pete.
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #162
BigT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
Fantastic pictures, everyone!
Looks like it was a great ride and I'm (kind of) sorry I missed it.

-T
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:53 PM   #163
IB Mike
Ex-Wingabego Rider

Oddometer: 600
got through 3/4 of my pictures today... that PoS camera I bought jacked up a bunch of my pictures

hope to get them up on smugmug tomorrow!
Old 12-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #164
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull Addict
I'm just having some fun with this.

http://gallery.mac.com/redbull_addict#100000

Nice

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:17 PM   #165
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
OK, time for me to add my two cents to this thread (not that it needs any help at this point).

I left Petaluma early Thursday to make the big ride down to Ridgecrest. The weather had been threatening for days, and participants were dropping out like flies, but I had a feeling that things were gonna turn out fine.

A stop at Peets to fuel up for the trip.

Linked up with I B Mike near Stockton, and we motored down to Los Banos to meet up with Senor Peligro (Andy).

The three of us cruised down I-5 and over Walker Pass (Hwy 178).

We arrived late afternoon in Ridgecrest, where a few folks had already gathered.

Here is BenJava, Andy, IB Mike, and Wheeldog (Roger).

Others have already covered Friday, so I won't say much. After the morning's wandering in the desert, I hooked up with Jim (spafxer), Joel (h8chains) and Jamin in Trona, and we made our way to Ballarat.

On the way, Joel and Jamin were attacked by arrows. Good thing they had their helmets on.

By the time we got to Ballarat, it was getting late and we decided to beeline to Furnace Creek by way of Emigrant Canyon. Once there I set up camp.

On Saturday, Jim, Joel, Paul, IB Mike and I decided to check out the Chloride City loop.

I B Mike's dumping prowess is now famous (and lucrative). I'll add to the evidence.

The Racetrack rocks must be wintering in Chloride, because one jumped out at me and took me down too.

With predictable results.

Tom joined us and we all made it out to the highway without further incident.

After lunch in Beatty, we checked out Rhyolite. For some reason I was more interested in taking pics of the sculpture garden next door.

Titus Canyon was closed, so Mike, Jim and I headed to Artists Drive to finish out the day. Hmm, no photos from there.

Sunday was the epic day for me. I decided to join the group headed back over Mengel Pass. I really wanted to do this ride, but I wasn't sure if my skills or biggish bike were up to it.

Westside Road, headed toward Warm Springs.

I started to lose my nerve on the 30+ mile ride out there, but Pete was encouraging. "We'll get the bikes over it." Well alright!

Up into Butte Valley we climbed.

Dan, Pete and I caught the rest of the group up at this cabin.

I was too busy keeping my shit together over Mengel Pass proper to take pictures. It was a challenging ride, but only the basketball section was really tough. I did manage to grab yet another rock with my side case (this is getting old, innit?), pushing me off course and into a rock which tweaked my shift lever. Jamin, handy with the vice grips, got it straigtened out enough that I could ride out of there.

After heading over the pass, we dropped down into Goler Wash.

The group emerged from the canyon and met up in Ballarat one last time before heading to Ridgecrest.

I got back to Ridgecrest tired and cold, but exhilarated from a great ride.

The bike was worse for the wear (I think those side cases are history), but after putting a new shift lever on and re-taping the broken blinker, I was ready to ride home the next day.

Thanks to everyone for making this such a great weekend! I'll look forward to riding with you all again.

And Tom, Jamin and everyone else: I'm in awe of your photography. Thanks for capturing the trip so well.

DaveBro

DaveBro screwed with this post 12-12-2007 at 11:30 PM
DaveBro is offline   Reply With Quote