Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2007, 08:50 PM   #46
Ratman
Lucky Rider

Oddometer: 1,103
As you know by now, if you stayed home you miss a good time. The good news is that Death Valley is still there. There's still a chance for you.

Friday started out with two basic groups, about half taking in a 25 mile sand loop out toward Red mtn to the Trona Pinnacles, and the smart guys going hwy direct.

some of our group

I chose the extra 25 miles. Eleven of us started out, and as the guys sorted out the directions on the GPSs the stops for consultation were frequent. It was all good fun, but we were eating up valuable time because we had 150 miles to do before we slept.

That's my bike with the gas can..........kinda plain.......but she runs good.

Jamin's bike......I rode one of those from Maine to San Diego two years ago. Amazing bike for the money.

Daylight in the winter doesn't last long. We also had a few spills to eat up time. One of which was a slow wash out resulting in a traped left leg under the bike. It seemed to be a trend. The rider ends up on all fours and can't turn around to lift the bike off his leg. I happened to be the first there for this 'catch and release'......Damn I forgot to get a picture first, and help second.

I think an 11 man riding groupe is to much if you have a destination in mind.

Oh well, I was having a good time. Half way to the Pinnacles a group of 4 of us got out front. Jamin caught up with us as we waited for the rest, and told us that Davebro broke a clutch lever, so we decide to go on in a smaller group, and for him to tell the rest. Cool, two smaller groups would do better.

We were left with Dan Webster (Gratis), Michael KTM 950, Broken Spoke (Gary, 625KTM), and myself (DR350). We got a move on to the Pinnacles.

At one point the trail we were on turned into much sand and a lot of whoops. I hate whoops so I was riding a line off to the side. Dan and I were pacing ourselves with similar skill levels while Michael and Gary were way out front.

I guess I had wandered 50 to 75 yards off to the right, and was keeping Dan in sight every once in a while with a glance his way. One of those glance came up empty.....oh, oh.

The possibilties were he either he got way in front, or dropped way back, or he was down. I couldn't assume that he was ok, so I found the trail he was on and back tracked not more than a quarter mile.

Sure enough he had washed out and found himself in the all fours position with the left leg under the bike. In that position you aren't going anywhere unless you can rotate that knee joint 180 degrees, or are able to gnaw off the lower leg.

So Dan was perfectly ok, but couldn't get out from under his cycle. Again I forgot the picture first thing. Quickly he was up with a little of my help, and we continued off toward Trona.

But it a good lesson about the possibilities if you are riding alone. Being careful isn't good enough in some cases. Ok, off my soap box, but those traps could happen to any of us.

So we posed for a couple pinnacle shots.

Soon we were into Trona for gas, and readying ourselves for Goler wash and Mengel's Pass..............
That gap in the mtn up ahead is the begining of Goler wash with possibly bouldered stair steps up to four feet high waiting for us. Osii on the left had caught us, and now there were five.

More later........
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #47
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
n00bin' Ridgecrest. Friday night was very windy. Luckily I secured a place for Design4d and myself at a friends house. Our other choice would have been to tough it out in the trailer

This wasn't looking like a good start to a weekend of riding but the weather turned out to make the trip awesome.

I was n00b sweeper the for the first ride even though these really weren't n00bs. Everybody got through the deep sandy washes sooner or later.

H8chains had an issue with a water bladder leaking. I pulled him over to help out. I think his backpack crushed the water bladder so he had to redo how everything was tied down. A shame as his plastic wrap job was awesome

The backpack now becomes a moto-pack

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 08:58 PM   #48
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86d4LIFE
Big thanks to Redbull Addict for setting this up! What a blast.
Didn't get to meet everyone, but it was cool to put names to faces for the ones I did meet.
Redbull Addict, nice shots - you're a helluva photographer
Maybe if you and Nowwhat start riding slow, then you'll be able to meet us all!
NSFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:02 PM   #49
Redbull Addict OP
I need another one...

Oddometer: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off
Redbull Addict: Nice rig. I have a silver FJ as well. Ever thought about putting air bags on the rear springs to level out your load when hauling your X? I'm thinking about putting some on my FJ.

How did you manage at DV with only a 2.5 Gal fuel tank? Did you carry extra gas with you and if so how?
Hi,

No I haven't. I have a medium OME lift sitting in the garage for it. The problem is getting it into my garage with the rack. Having air bags would solve that. Do you have a lead on the air bags?

The range was acceptable for the routes I took on the bike. Toping off in Furnace creek before I left I was able to do 20 mule trail, visit echo, Chloride city trail all the way to Beatty. I had one MSR fuel bottle with me, but never needed it. I would have been short for loops into Saline Valley where the distances are greater and fewer choices to top off.
Redbull Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #50
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
The rider ends up on all fours and can't turn around to lift the bike off his leg. I happened to be the first there for this 'catch and release'......

Good stuff, Pete! It was great riding with you yesterday. Thanks for not letting me lose my nerve on the approach to Mengel -- I was feeling out of my depth in the company of more experienced riders and didn't want to hold back the group. You encouraged me to keep going and I had the time of my life. What a cool ride.
DaveBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #51
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Jamin aka Hollywood cause he rides the NX like a rockstar.

I roll up on the first crash. No big deal right? Turns out a broken clutch lever and the chain fell of the rear sprocket. Where is a T27 when you need one. The expert field mechanics used a flathead screwdriver and a wrench to get the new lever in place.

Help came quick

I don't see why they call him h8chains. He got the chain back on davebros bike quickly.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #52
RiverRat
Endless Chores

I was begining to think that bmws are weak but then I saw how davebro rides. He is a good rider and never gives up.

I think his bike has a thing for bushes.

Let's back down... Naww, just ride through it!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:13 PM   #53
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
Turns out a broken clutch lever
All I can say is: Goddamm Touratech for fucking up my handguard order (twice)!!

Quote:
The expert field mechanics used a flathead screwdriver and a wrench to get the new lever in place.
Yeah, you guys saved me. I'd still be out there if not for h8chains -- I guess you mechanical engineers are useful after all.

DaveBro screwed with this post 12-10-2007 at 09:24 PM
Old 12-10-2007, 09:14 PM   #54
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat

Hey DaveBro, there's the answer written all over the swing arm about your question on how much tension your chain needs!!!!!I guess you no spracken deutch neither read your manual at all!
Old 12-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #55
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
Hey DaveBro, there's the answer written all over the swing arm about your question on how much tension your chain needs!!!!
No dude, I knew it all along! Adjusted to BMW spec before the trip. Mostly it was everyone else who questioned it. I'm thinking it's OK if the chain throws when the bike goes over like that.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:21 PM   #56
Redbull Addict OP
I need another one...

While you boys were coming out of Mengal or Goler I finally arrived at Furnace Creek. Unloaded the bike again and began riding around.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #57
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBro
I guess you mechanical engineers are useful after all.
Yeah, one thing we learned in school is "Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty!"

and of course !
Old 12-10-2007, 09:23 PM   #58
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Soon the bimmer was on a course to attack another shrub but changed direction at the last minute.

n00bs spread out all over creation.

Planet of the apes

Picture of spafxer taking picture

We finally found our way to trona and met up with rba and others. I heard that one group had gone thru mengel on to furnace creek. I got gas as quick as possible and hit the road to catch up with them. I met them at the pass and had an awesome time riding all the way east to the junction of warm springs and west side road.

Here we are looking around as the vstrom lights can be seen on the road

Osii has the cleanest looking Vstrom ever. Amazing considering the terrain he takes it over.

Ratman on the 350.... More on this cat later.

Sundown on the panamints

Old 12-10-2007, 09:26 PM   #59
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8chains
and of course !
Would that be "the Right Hand Rule"? (A fact of life for lonely engineering students. )
Old 12-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #60
Redbull Addict OP
I need another one...

Damn I hate mud....

but sometimes it looks cool...