User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #1
grandpa_ken OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Remote Operated Home Thermostat

Can someone recommend a home heating/AC thermostat that can be remotely operated? Maybe one that is remotely controlled via the internet. I have done some research, but I'm looking for some input from someone that has personal knowledge about how well they work.

Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #2
koncha

Oddometer: 10,026
I own a Nest. Works exactly as advertised. I believe the claims for energy savings are dead on for cooling and under estimated for heating.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM   #3
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,147
I have one of the Honeywell units from HD. I prefer the web interface to the front panel for anything other than temporary temperature adjustments. I'm pretty sure it has paid for itself already over the POS that was there before it.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #4
CoffeeGuy
Coffee is 99% Water

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_ken View Post
Can someone recommend a home heating/AC thermostat that can be remotely operated? Maybe one that is remotely controlled via the internet. I have done some research, but I'm looking for some input from someone that has personal knowledge about how well they work.

Thanks.

I've had a nest for two years or so. It works.

I use my iPhone to control it. It works.

You could also use any computer.
I know the nest has already paid for itself in savings on the heating cooling bills.

St. Louis Cardinals
2006 WS Champions
2011 WS Champions
CoffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #5
hyperboarder
Potato Farmer

Oddometer: 1,000
I installed a Nest in our house about a week after moving in, so I don't have a baseline to see if we're really saving money or not. However aside from some early crankiness with the wifi it's worked well.

Quarter Life Crisis 2011 Ural National Rally
hyperboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #6
xit109
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Nest. Works. The UI is ok but not great for the initial set up. Could be a little better. It wants to be Apple like and it is close.
Old Yesterday, 11:18 PM   #7
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,125
I've considered installing one at our cabin, so that when we go up in the winter, it would be warm when we got up there.

My concern is this - I keep the place heated to 50 degrees in the winter so the pipes don't break - the power goes out occasionally up there though. If we had a power outage, is there a backup on the thermostat, or will it reset itself when the power goes back on, leaving the place to freeze?
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:47 AM   #8
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Mine holds its settings, at least for awhile (it's probably NVRAM, so it'll hold it until the cows come home), plus I get an e-mail alert from Honeywell about the loss of communications. Note that this kind of device requires having a wireless access point and Internet service at the location.
Old Today, 07:46 AM   #9
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 1,996
Get the Nest. It's the cleanest and simpliest one there is. I put one in about a year ago, and it's been flawless. I use an iphone or ipad to control it remotely, very, very easy.
Old Today, 01:13 PM   #10
Will LC8
I stubbed my toe

Oddometer: 584
My vote would be an Ecobee. Actually does more than the nest, can control more complicated equipment and costs the same. It's what I have.

No love for the nest among HVAC professionals.

Here's a thread on a major HVAC site asking the same question:Best Wifi Stat?

http://abuddyforlife.org/

Will LC8 screwed with this post Today at 01:33 PM
Will LC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:25 PM   #11
grandpa_ken OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Thanks everyone for the info. I want to use this at a beach home and will need an "away" setting, but I want to be able to adjust the temperature before we arrive. It also needs to be easily adjustable for family and guest when I'm not there.
Old Today, 02:14 PM   #12
CA_Strom
Cunning Linguist

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the info. I want to use this at a beach home and will need an "away" setting, but I want to be able to adjust the temperature before we arrive. It also needs to be easily adjustable for family and guest when I'm not there.
I still think the Nest is the best fit for the requirements you outline above. The Nest adjust like the old school dial thermostats and it's very simple. Heck, my 89 year old aunt can do it.... It has an "away" setting that it automatically switches to when it does not sense any activity. With an Iphone or Ipad you can set the temp to be just where you want it when you arrive.
Old Today, 04:34 PM   #13
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Mine has both temporary (either to next schedule period or a number of days) and permanent hold settings, plus a 7-day 4-mode schedule (Wake, Away, Return, Sleep), and a filter timer based on blower runtime. It can be set for heat only, cool only, or auto (my preference, especially this time of year). It also has the ability to run a heat pump, having terminals to activate the changeover valves. And the website sends me e-mails for temperature alarms and loss of communications, but the high temp alarm maxes out at 104F. I set the low alarm to 50, so I don't know where it bottoms out--probably 32.

As for local control, the front panel makes it easy to temporarily override the schedule temps. It takes a couple of extra steps to lock it in place, and changing the schedule takes some practice. I prefer using the web interface for schedule work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: