Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 150 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #1906
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 5,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltmueller View Post
one of my dreams - to try that out (meaning an extented USA tour)
Bring it on-- we've got lots of backcountry roads, beer, & hospitality around here.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:12 PM   #1907
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyfatman View Post
That is nice. I've seen a couple at shows and never noticed haw low the transfer case hangs down.
Weren't they a 'divorced' transfercase?
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #1908
fireflyr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412

After a day of fishing for golden trout, I couldn't resist.

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer, #347
2004 XR400R Dual Sport, Baja Designs kit
2005 TTR 125 (son's)
1967 & 1971 Honda Trail 90s
fireflyr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #1909
PecosBill
Get off my f'n lawn!

Oddometer: 41,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflyr View Post

Save $5 on your new SmugMug account, go to: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=K0vxRpKbulMhM
PecosBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #1910
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Here's one I miss. IHC B140. This was ordered by the USAEC and delivered to Camp Mercury, Nevada Test Site in 1960(I have a copy of the lineset ticket). Those are 41" tall tires on it and it's not lifted. They are slightly taller tires than stock. Original size was 9.00-18 and those are 9.00-20. It's a dually rear housing but used a special hub to fit the rear as a single.

Ken
IHWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:21 AM   #1911
ducnek
Misadventurer

Oddometer: 982
that thing looks like a tank, and I am sure it was.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 AM   #1912
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Speed King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:17 AM   #1913
Juanjo_NY
Made in Argentina

Oddometer: 3,898
I still think the second Gen. Ram have one of the nicest lines for a truck! I used to droll when first saw it back in the days!!

Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #1914
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWillys View Post
Those are 41" tall tires on it and it's not lifted. They are slightly taller tires than stock. Original size was 9.00-18 and those are 9.00-20.
Those are duece-&-a-half wheels & tires.

What does it have for axle gearing?

Old 08-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #1915
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
Those are duece-&-a-half wheels & tires.

What does it have for axle gearing?
Yes, those are some surplus tires from a deuce-1/2 but the wheels were actually from an old Dodge "Job Rated" truck. I put those on there because the wheels that were on it when I got it were true split rims. The wheels in the pic are the more conventional split lockring which are still commonly referred to as split rims but really are not.

It uses the same 1.5" lug nuts as the deuce but only five of them(5 on 8 vs the 6 lug of the deuce). R/P gearing is 6.16. Front and rear axles used the same third member. This truck had no lockers, the Detroit No-Spin was an option. The lockouts on the front are the old Dual-Matic out of Longmont CO, three lever version. The smaller ones were two lever, the deuce-1/2 were four lever. This truck was spec'd with two PTO winches on the lineset(A10 King and an A11 King) but I believe only one was installed at the factory. Winch and PTO were long gone by the time I got it.

It is a cool old truck that is now in the hands of a fellow planning a full resto. It was fun to drive though the brakes left a little to be desired as they were not in top condition. It steered with ease despite no power steering. I swapped in an SV345 because the original BD264 had been abused to it's demise though it still ran enough to get the truck up and down the street, leaving a nice anti-mosquito cloud in it's wake.

Ken
Old 08-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #1916
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
Yes, those are some surplus tires from a deuce-1/2 but the wheels were actually from an old Dodge "Job Rated" truck. I put those on there because the wheels that were on it when I got it were true split rims. The wheels in the pic are the more conventional split lockring which are still commonly referred to as split rims but really are not.

It uses the same 1.5" lug nuts as the deuce but only five of them(5 on 8 vs the 6 lug of the deuce). R/P gearing is 6.16. Front and rear axles used the same third member. This truck had no lockers, the Detroit No-Spin was an option. The lockouts on the front are the old Dual-Matic out of Longmont CO, three lever version. The smaller ones were two lever, the deuce-1/2 were four lever. This truck was spec'd with two PTO winches on the lineset(A10 King and an A11 King) but I believe only one was installed at the factory. Winch and PTO were long gone by the time I got it.

It is a cool old truck that is now in the hands of a fellow planning a full resto. It was fun to drive though the brakes left a little to be desired as they were not in top condition. It steered with ease despite no power steering. I swapped in an SV345 because the original BD264 had been abused to it's demise though it still ran enough to get the truck up and down the street, leaving a nice anti-mosquito cloud in it's wake.

Ken
Yeah, I misspoke on that one: I meant deuce-sized.

6.16/1?! What were there, about 5 teeth on the pinion gear? 5.83's were stock in the M37/43 that I had, and you could hop out of it in compound low & slacker-walk along beside it. I can't imagine 6.16's.

It wouldn't surprise me if those axles were the same type as the M-series if the third members were interchangeable.

That is one heluva neat truck, and it's a shame you got rid of it-- it's something I would love to check out.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #1917
IHWillys
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
... 5.83's were stock in the M37/43 that I had...
...It wouldn't surprise me if those axles were the same type as the M-series if the third members were interchangeable...
...it's a shame you got rid of it...
I really like old Dodge trucks. I have an M43 I bought 15 years ago and haven't driven it yet. It is still in "someday" limbo. I have four different engine/trans combos to choose from for it. What I don't have is any extra time for it. Someday, someday.

The axles in the B are larger than those in the M37/43. In IHC nomenclature they are an FA50 and RA20. FA=front axle, RA=rear axle. IIRC, both are an Eaton design made by IHC with few changes. The brake drums on the FA50 had "Eaton" cast in.

'tis a shame, but there are lots of great trucks out there and hopefully I have many years ahead with which to get acquainted with some of them.

Ken
Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #1918
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Quote:
The axles in the B are larger than those in the M37/43. In IHC nomenclature they are an FA50 and RA20. FA=front axle, RA=rear axle. IIRC, both are an Eaton design made by IHC with few changes. The brake drums on the FA50 had "Eaton" cast in.
I'll be-- you learn something new everyday.

Those must be some burly axles.

Good luck with that -43, by the way. I had a Hercules diesel in mine, and that heavy beast may have been the most capable 4-by I've ever driven, and it rode like a Town Car on rough roads.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:08 PM   #1919
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,482
Looks like a Colt Hottinger '40. I hope it worked out well for you. That guy's porked a lot of folks in the FJ community. When you buy something from him it's best to inspect it very closely.

legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:13 PM   #1920
legion
Lard Council

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseKiller View Post
Nice lookin' rig, Legion!
Thanks for the comments on the Mercedes. Got a ways to go to get it the way I want it but it's definitely an xlnt starting point. It's a three ton two door that has doors that open and close like a bank vault. With a little work it'll be my DD this winter.

legion is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: