ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #1501
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Finally!!!! I got another video to upload. The HD eats up the memory, but watching the vid in 720 with no graininess is nice. As you can see there was water everywhere, seemed like everytime I hit 5th gear we were slowing down for water crossings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcgXXX0Ac4c
Old 01-27-2010, 06:54 AM   #1502
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,077
Hey you bums need to get off your asses and come down to the Sandblast.. Jonah Street will be racing this year. He just finished the Dakar down in South America and will be running the Sandblast. It ought to be pretty exciting. You guys should make the trip down.

WP
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:57 AM   #1503
mothra
Rally Driver

Oddometer: 741
For all you fence sitters for Sandblast here is a little extra motivation. Lot's of cars and bikes as usual this year and they put on a great show. I will be going down Friday late from Raleigh and driving the combo truck (moto sweep/zero car) all day Saturday. Hope to see the WARDS turn out.

PS Anders still needs rally volunteers and volunteers usually get the best seat in the house for the rally.

PSS I believe the Red Bull girls will be there again this year.

PSSS Did I mention real Dakar rally bikes racing in South Carolina.

Raleigh, North Carolina
January 26, 2010

JONAH STREET TAKES SEVENTH IN DAKAR THEN RACES IN AMERICA WITH NASA RALLY SPORT

Jonah Street just finished seventh at the Dakar rally in South America, and was the top competitor from the USA. After months of training, preparation, and two weeks of grueling racing in the Dakar, this hero deserves a break. But less than a week after making it back home to the US, he's already planning for his next rally. Street is headed South again, only this time he won't need a passport or a translator, he's racing in the United States. The Sandblast Rally on February 6 in South Carolina, is his next stop.

Sandblast Rally runs in a similar format to the Dakar. Racing stages are separated by liaison sections. The main differences for Street are going to be the length and the navigation. Sandblast is only one day long, running from morning to night. The format of the rally is the same as a WRC rally event, so the stages are completely closed and there are no navigation choices to make during the racing sections. Relative to the Dakar, the Sandblast Rally is much more of a sprint, with the competitors covering 130 miles.

"Our other racers are very excited." say Anders Green of NASA Rally Sport. "Like millions of other race fans, they have been watching Jonah on Versus for the last three weeks. Getting to race him, in the sandy conditions we have, is like escaping to Dakar just for a day. Other Dakar competitors have said that our stages remind them of the old Dakar Day 1 stages in Portugal, so I have no doubt that Jonah will jump right in move out to the front."

Sandblast Rally is one of only a handful of rallies in the US that take part in NASA Rally Sport's program called RallyMoto(TM), which allows motorcycles to compete on the same racing stages as traditional rally cars. This program started in 2007 and has exploded in popularity. For the last two years, Sandblast Rally has had the biggest entry fields of any rally in America.

Street's machine, given his long relationship with the manufacturer, is no surprise: KTM. The 950 Super Enduro is built and ready for the trip to Cheraw, SC next week. The Dakar had a recent class rule lowering the allowed engine displacement, but large engines are still allowed with NASA Rally Sport. Some riders will be on BMW HP2 bikes with 1200cc engines. "A key difference," notes Green "is that since the format of our rally is so compact, we can have medical staff only a few miles away. Safety is still our primary concern for all racers."

For Dakar fans that want to follow Street as he races next weekend, they can sign up for text message updates and get scores on SandblastRally.com For those folks lucky enough to live in the Southeast, they have a chance to meet this Dakar hero and watch him race in South Carolina. A testing session on the Friday before the race is open for viewing. Friday evening all competitors will have their race vehicles on display in Chesterfield, SC. The ceremonial start is Saturday morning in downtown Cheraw, SC. More spectating information is available on SandblastRally.com.

'02 F650GS Dakar
'09 HUSBERG FE450
mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #1504
DirtDobbler
love to ride

Oddometer: 165
I'll probably be a spectator at the rally with family
any one going to enter and run in it?
where would be a good spot for spectating.
DirtDobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #1505
mothra
Rally Driver

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDobbler
I'll probably be a spectator at the rally with family
any one going to enter and run in it?
where would be a good spot for spectating.

http://www.sandblastrally.com/2010/fan-welcome.php

You will need to get a spectator guide when you get there (worth the couple bucks) it has all the maps and directions and event schedules etc.

The Cooper Black 4 way is a good spot and their is another spot behind the forest office near the railroad which gives a great view of the cars/bikes coming through a series of sweeping corners (Hunter Pond Esses - i think)

'02 F650GS Dakar
'09 HUSBERG FE450
mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #1506
sarasotausmc
Percocet powered

Oddometer: 179
The closer the date, the more I wish I could be there. Next year
Old 01-30-2010, 05:17 AM   #1507
wparkinson
Gear Whore

All you gotta do is get off your ass and come down.. Pick up Flessner on the way down and enjoy the day... Quit being a lazy ass.. That goes for both of ya... We did a day trip with bikes... this is just to watch... Ya gotta see if if ya ever want to run it..
Old 01-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #1508
buddha
buried in the sand...

Oddometer: 704
I'll probably go down for the day to spectate. Been to it a couple of times before... crewed once and volunteered once. It's always a fun time.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #1509
Semper_ride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Wicked

Anyone up for a ride on Sunday? I think the weather report for Saturday is rain but Sunday is forecasted to be partly sunny and mid 40's. Just wondering got my new tire and just waiting to have an excuse to put it on.
Semper_ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #1510
DirtDobbler
love to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper_ride
Anyone up for a ride on Sunday? I think the weather report for Saturday is rain but Sunday is forecasted to be partly sunny and mid 40's. Just wondering got my new tire and just waiting to have an excuse to put it on.
Put tire on any way so youre ready to sling dirt. Probably won't make it this week end to ride. I am going to watch the SandBlastRally on Saturday.
Criss, George & Wynn are you guys going??
Old 02-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #1511
clfless
Former Dualsporter

Oddometer: 346
Was up that way today in rain and it is really wet right now. More rain coming and then cold on Sunday, does not look good. Really want to ride but Angola would be a mess for sure.

Lets see how the weather plays out, may have to put some antifreeze in my vagicyl .
Old 02-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #1512
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDobbler
Put tire on any way so youre ready to sling dirt. Probably won't make it this week end to ride. I am going to watch the SandBlastRally on Saturday.
Criss, George & Wynn are you guys going??
I am going to be down there... Planing on getting there early to watch the start of the race. Give me a call.....Do you have my #?

WP
Old 02-03-2010, 06:14 PM   #1513
DirtDobbler
love to ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson
I am going to be down there... Planing on getting there early to watch the start of the race. Give me a call.....Do you have my #?

WP
I do if its the same? What time you thinking?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #1514
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Well I am going to be EARLY... Probably like 7 or 7:30. I want to look around when I get there...

Just call..
Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #1515
Gotlabs
Killing with kindness

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by clfless
Was up that way today in rain and it is really wet right now. More rain coming and then cold on Sunday, does not look good. Really want to ride but Angola would be a mess for sure.

Lets see how the weather plays out, may have to put some antifreeze in my vagicyl .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper_ride

I may be able to squeek away for a few hours to ride if yall want to. Or we could roll out to Cape Fear?