ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #1591
Semper_ride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Thanks, but instead of showing off for the camera, it was don't let George get his statisfaction.

Past Bikes
84 Honda Sabre V45
83 Honda Sabre V45
79 KL 250
75 KE 125
?? Honda Trail 50
Semper_ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #1592
Semper_ride
Adventurer

[IMG]ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G-CF3CVqes[/IMG]

Went ahead and put it on youtube.com as well see how many people will view and comment.

Past Bikes
84 Honda Sabre V45
83 Honda Sabre V45
79 KL 250
75 KE 125
?? Honda Trail 50
Old 02-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #1593
clfless
Former Dualsporter

Oddometer: 347
Pretty cool video.

Would have been cooler if you crashed though

Deja Vu KLR flying through air http://www.flickr.com/photos/wparkinson4/3477790623/

BTW budda, this was Green Swamp, "the ditch"

clfless screwed with this post 02-28-2010 at 07:55 PM
clfless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #1594
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,077
Hey don't get me involved here..... That was pure grace on my part....

Good save there man.....
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #1595
mothra
Rally Driver

Oddometer: 781
looks like I missed a great ride. I hope to have my act together in a couple more weeks just in time for some Green Swamp fun.

'02 F650GS Dakar
'09 HUSBERG FE450
mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #1596
sarasotausmc
Percocet powered

Oddometer: 179
I don't know nothing about any of this swamp stuff you're all talking about.

We miss you Matt.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #1597
Semper_ride
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson
Hey don't get me involved here..... That was pure grace on my part....

Good save there man.....
It was a graceful fall it almost looked like you planned it, my save was more like luck and probably I couldn't do it again. I am just glad my hero (George) continues with his words of encouragement and I keep my bike in one piece.

Past Bikes
84 Honda Sabre V45
83 Honda Sabre V45
79 KL 250
75 KE 125
?? Honda Trail 50
Old 03-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #1598
Bob Arthur
some "Kid" ...

Oddometer: 1,301
Question Croatan and Hofmann Forests in NC

question about these places.. I know there is a small OHV section of trails in Croatan Forest (off of catfish rd or something). Right now I have a KTM 200 exc, but i'm thinking of selling it and getting a Husky 250 TE (probably take advantage of a leftover 2009 at a great price). Would having a 100% legal bike (that's still small enough to flick around if I find a trail or two) give me access to riding on all of the dirt roads and jeep trails in both of these forests ? My ktm is tagged/registered/insured for use in enduros, but I imagine it would turn a few LEO's heads if they saw me riding down a forest road.... Thanks in advance..
'03 KTM 200 EXC ( )
'04 DRZ400s (dirt mod.): sold. I'll miss her I'm sure.
'02 DR200 (1st bike ever): sold.

Bob Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #1599
sarasotausmc
Percocet powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Arthur
question about these places.. I know there is a small OHV section of trails in Croatan Forest (off of catfish rd or something). Right now I have a KTM 200 exc, but i'm thinking of selling it and getting a Husky 250 TE (probably take advantage of a leftover 2009 at a great price). Would having a 100% legal bike (that's still small enough to flick around if I find a trail or two) give me access to riding on all of the dirt roads and jeep trails in both of these forests ? My ktm is tagged/registered/insured for use in enduros, but I imagine it would turn a few LEO's heads if they saw me riding down a forest road.... Thanks in advance..
Hey Bob, good to see a new face. Yes, a plated bike will get you everywhere you see that we ride, mainly Holly Shelter and Angola game lands. Problem is that these two places close in the off hunting season. At the Croatan, there are 8 miles of trail, 6 of it mostly in a straight line and costs you $10 for the day and it's pretty disappointing. There are a few tracks around if that's your thing. We are constantly looking for new LEGAL places to ride, and new people to join us. We talk alot about planning trips to Uwharrie Nat'l Forest (URE), Cape Fear ATV Park in Elizabethtown and a couple other places.

About turning heads of LEOs, if you get stopped, well you get stopped. Where we ride, if your stuff is legit and you're not acting the fool, then you are legal. I think the guy at Holly Shelter has seen enough of us that he knows we are plated and we actually stopped him to ask questions.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #1600
Bob Arthur
some "Kid" ...

Oddometer: 1,301
My KTM has a valid license plate bolted on the rear fender, matching VIN # and registration card and insurance.. It doesn't have DOT tires, and no turn signals.. Is this legal enough to ride in the forests on the roads ? That's not "street legal" 100%, but it's dirt legal enough in most places.. and I never "act a fool"..
'03 KTM 200 EXC ( )
'04 DRZ400s (dirt mod.): sold. I'll miss her I'm sure.
'02 DR200 (1st bike ever): sold.

Bob Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #1601
clfless
Former Dualsporter

Sound legit enough to me. George and I are not running any turn signals either. If you have them, they all have to work, so we took them off to eliminate the chance of that ticket.

As far as the tires, there is very little visual difference between a trackmaster or a Dunlop 606 and a non dot tire. Until you get close enough to read the sidewall, its hard to believe we are even running dot tires.

Have to be careful where you ride on the game lands, the Game Warden makes a big deal about not getting off the state maintained road for any reason. Also some of the roads are state maintained others are not, but he would not elaborate on how to tell. I have almost 5,000 miles on my bike, and all of it is from the last 2 years of riding game lands and have not had a problem yet.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #1602
Semper_ride
Adventurer

Chris now that HS is going to be closed any ideas for this Sunday the weather is suppose to be great. If not I can make plans with the family for that day. But let me know if something is going cause you know I will be there in a heart beat.

Past Bikes
84 Honda Sabre V45
83 Honda Sabre V45
79 KL 250
75 KE 125
?? Honda Trail 50
Old 03-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #1603
clfless
Former Dualsporter

Our fallback ride while the game lands are closed is Green Swamp. Its about a 70 mile ride from Jax. Sometimes George would trailer down to my place, and then we ride the 20 miles to the woods from here. Its way different than the game lands, and I do not know my way around there very well.

Other option is Cape Fear ATV park in E-town and thats about 80 miles from Jax, and its a pay for ride thing.

Also sometimes ride at the MX track in Castle Hayne, but its also pay for ride.

Other option is to go to Fayetteville and ride with Wynn and the cool kids.

Edit to add:
George just brought to my attention another option.
We buy ass-less leather chaps, hang tassels from our handguards, and gain 60 pounds so we can ride poker runs with the harley crowd.

clfless screwed with this post 03-03-2010 at 07:41 PM
clfless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:35 PM   #1604
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,077
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #1605
sarasotausmc
Percocet powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Arthur
My KTM has a valid license plate bolted on the rear fender, matching VIN # and registration card and insurance.. It doesn't have DOT tires, and no turn signals.. Is this legal enough to ride in the forests on the roads ? That's not "street legal" 100%, but it's dirt legal enough in most places.. and I never "act a fool"..
NC safety general statute is if you have turn signals, you have to have all four and that all four work. The other choice is that you have none, and use hand signals. One, two or three signals, not legal. I opt for the none, have passed two safety inspections, so I figure I'm good and you are too.

Where I work, I need to know legal or not, and honestly, have never seen a statute or regulation anywhere that requires DOT approved tires in NC law for any type of vehicle. If anyone know different, I'd like to know.

And act a fool, you know what I mean.

Come ride with us.