ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #2281
SuperTimmy
On A Mission

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy762 View Post
Has anybody ever ridden the Holly Game Shelter area?
It just depends on what you are expecting. No super gnarly single track trails, but if you just want to get on some dirt/gravel and enjoy being away from the pavement and a bunch of cars then you can have a great time. Just mellow riding....but sometimes that is all you need to decompress and get that positivity going again....It's all what you make of it man......
Old 03-19-2013, 07:50 PM   #2282
kennedy762
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking at google earth and eyeballing various trails as I ride around.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #2283
clfless
Former Dualsporter

Oddometer: 346
fwiw saw that both bear garden and the holly shelter gate on shaw highway were open today.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:47 AM   #2284
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,182
Everyone wish SuperTimmy a quick and speedy recovery. He managed to aquire a nasty fleshwound, 30 staples, and some stitches yesterday and handled it like a trooper.

DRZ and gear is safe and sound awaiting your return!!
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #2285
mothra
Rally Driver

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
Everyone wish SuperTimmy a quick and speedy recovery. He managed to aquire a nasty fleshwound, 30 staples, and some stitches yesterday and handled it like a trooper.

DRZ and gear is safe and sound awaiting your return!!

Sorry to hear that. Heal fast!

'02 F650GS Dakar
'09 HUSBERG FE450
mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #2286
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,077
Sorry to hear that dood got fucked up.... saw the pic... Pretty nasty!!!! Just think how a $150 pair of riding boots could have saved him what will amount to 5K or more in medical bills....

He was warned.... and for all you nay sayers "I don't need that stuff"... "I am a good rider"... I CALL BULL SHIT.... If your are going to ride off road... get the gear!!!

It may save you a trip to the hospital........

WP
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #2287
clfless
Former Dualsporter

I say he was distracted looking for that F800 BMW that can go anywhere a drz can go

Maybe Sam, tim, Zack (not naming any names;) need to do a group buy on boots. Props for Matt and Wynn who always set a good example for wear the safety gear, I am bad example, don't look at me please. I admit that I showed up to this ride wearing work boots, but went home and changed after meat wagon rolled out with our rider in it. seriously ....All The Gear All The Time. Another lesson learned, myself included.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #2288
kennedy762
Adventurer

Tim, put some neosporin on yer wounds and get well soon brother! I'll be out as soon as my bike is fixed up!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 PM   #2289
SuperTimmy
On A Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparkinson View Post
Sorry to hear that dood got fucked up.... saw the pic... Pretty nasty!!!! Just think how a $150 pair of riding boots could have saved him what will amount to 5K or more in medical bills....

He was warned.... and for all you nay sayers "I don't need that stuff"... "I am a good rider"... I CALL BULL SHIT.... If your are going to ride off road... get the gear!!!

It may save you a trip to the hospital........

WP
WP, look, two days ago I had most of my calf hanging off my leg...Not that you are not right, but I think it could have been delivered a little more compassionately:) So, I agree with you fully, but you may want to watch your tone man on the internet-I know you are a nice guy:) AND fun to ride with, but You made me sound like a fool and you like a jerk. I am not one that thinks I am too good that "I don't need that stuff"- You are right when you talk about safety and I learned the hard way. In all honesty, I just love to ride and get what I can when I can, and try to be careful. Doesn't work. I most definitely will NOT ride again without proper boots. As gnarly as my wound is, it could have been prevented. Thank goodness I was being watched over and had great friends with me......Thanks Chris, Sam, zach, and Shawn.... and WP, there is no doubt in my mind if you were there that you would have helped just as much:) Thanks for all the kind words guys.
Happy trails and stay safe...

SuperTimmy screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 10:08 AM
SuperTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #2290
Icecold Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Timmy, sorry to hear about your leg. Hope you heal up quickly. What more can you share with us about the accident? Besides the boot issue, is there anything you can tell us about, that may help us learn from your misfortune?

Get well soon!

Dan
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #2291
SuperTimmy
On A Mission

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecold Dan View Post
Timmy, sorry to hear about your leg. Hope you heal up quickly. What more can you share with us about the accident? Besides the boot issue, is there anything you can tell us about, that may help us learn from your misfortune?

Get well soon!

Dan
Thanks for the kind words Dan. Really, WP is right when it comes down to it. How I got hurt was not something I even thought about with boots. I have seen CLFless's bike fall over on him and his leg against a rock-most definitely saved him a trip to the hospital. This was just a freak thing that could happen to anyone not wearing boots. Boots are stiff and you have to get used to the feeling, but it is worth it to not go through what I did/am. Nothing crazy happened, I wheelied over a log and my foot slipped the peg. The ped went into my leg and ripped my calf apart as the bike was going up-literally ripped my calf apart. I thought it was just a charlie horse and when I looked down I saw some blood. I lifted up my pant leg and was absolutely dumbfounded at what I saw. I had to make a quick decision as what to do. At that particular moment, it didn't look like I was bleeding out such as with hitting something really important, so I rode out. I sat down when out of the woods and made sure the wound was stable with the help of my friends. I then road to the closest road, a friend helped me get my leg above heart level to control bleeding while another friend called 911. Here I am inner stitches and 30 staples later:)

I guess the most important sound advice I can give you is that always make sure that someone you are riding with is first aid/cpr certified or at least read up on it. You really never know when something crazy is going to happen. AND most importantly, remain calm as to not go into shock. This goes for those that are witnesses as well. If the victim sees everyone freaking out, it could send them into shock. I am lucky, as I ride with a great group of guys...

Thanks for all the kind words again guys. Anyone that wants to see the photos, I can send them to you-but they are graphic....

Happy trails....

SuperTimmy screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 10:06 AM
SuperTimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #2292
kennedy762
Adventurer

Anybody riding this weekend? Should be some good, cold mud to play in! However, Tim justified my new boot purchase (Sidi Discoveries) which I want to wait to come in before I get too crazy.
I'll be at Southeastern Steel Choppers (Jacksonville Triumph) on Friday afternoon if anyone wants to meet up.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #2293
wparkinson
Gear Whore

Oddometer: 2,077
Good snag on the boots... those are great... I have a friend that loves them. I have always wanted a pair but they are pricey. They don't offer quite the protection of a MX style boot but are good none the less.......... I am in the market for a new pair of boots myself... Not sure what am going to get...

Timmy.... Sorry your butt is a little sore about my comments.... but that is the harsh reality.... Sometimes it takes a slap in the face to realize that the chic don't want none of it.... Its called tough love... I don't mean to make lite of your pain.... but I hope others will learn from your mistake.... (I see some already have)

There are a few other here that need to learn that.

There are lots of great boots on the market that aren't as stiff as MX style boots... and like the SIDIs I have read that some people wear them every day... Once they get broke in are like a regular boot....

You will be wise to get into the habit of ATGATT...... Now I don't wear my neck brace on the road... Some do... I do wear a padded jacket and many times I wear my riding boots when on the road. Not always.. but I do always wear boots of some sort....

I suspect there are more then a few that would go without a helmet if they were allowed to... not very smart but again that would be your choice.... ask Indian Larry about not wearing a helmet!!! You can say its about freedom.. I say its about thinning the Gene Pool..... Darwin in full effect...

Like it or not Gear will save your ass...... I know all too well... Watch some of my videos... It has saved my ass many times......

WP
wparkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #2294
clfless
Former Dualsporter

I do love the feel of the wind through my toes when I ride in sandals, but I cannot do flip flops. shifter is kind of hard on the toe. usually this is jUST inter-neighborhood riding, but have done a beer run in sandals before.

point?
I am horrible example, don't do or listen to anything I say. really.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #2295
bobbed06
Cavalera Conspirator

Oddometer: 1,182
Im a believer in Alpinestars Tech 6 boots. I tried the Tech 8s and went back to the trusty Tech 6 boots.
bobbed06 is offline   Reply With Quote