ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2007, 04:19 PM   #61
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 973
Hey fellow WARDS. I took a quick ride out today. I found those sand trails that you saw off of River Road. I also found that a Ford Ranger with an orange light on top and SECURITY painted on the side cant keep up with a DR650 on tight sand trails. I'll be avoiding there in future.
Sutton Lake, on the other hand, is just 10 minutes from downtown, and might be a great place to blow off a little steam after the next meeting at Hells Kitchen. The deep sand though is not for those who are faint of heart, or those who have 90/10 tires. There were a couple of ATV'ers out there, and a sheriffs deputy driving down to the boat ramp who paid me no mind.
Me and my monkee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #62
mothra
Rally Driver

Oddometer: 726
Good to meet everybody and put some faces to names. Ride back through Fort Fisher was a nice change of place. Looking forward to the next one. Maybe we can find some dirt.

'02 F650GS Dakar (looking for an NC plated endure to lighten the load)
mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:34 AM   #63
OldBMWMaster
Banned

Oddometer: 4,185
In the good ole days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and my monkee
Hey fellow WARDS. I took a quick ride out today. I found those sand trails that you saw off of River Road. I also found that a Ford Ranger with an orange light on top and SECURITY painted on the side cant keep up with a DR650 on tight sand trails. I'll be avoiding there in future.
Sutton Lake, on the other hand, is just 10 minutes from downtown, and might be a great place to blow off a little steam after the next meeting at Hells Kitchen. The deep sand though is not for those who are faint of heart, or those who have 90/10 tires. There were a couple of ATV'ers out there, and a sheriffs deputy driving down to the boat ramp who paid me no mind.
It has been that way since 9/11.

Right across the river is the Sunny Point facility. Most of the gear headed to Iraq is loaded there; so security is a little bit tight and twitchy.

I used to ride the entire river from Carolina Beach to Wilmington. That can't happen now. They call it "progress".
OldBMWMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:50 AM   #64
OldBMWMaster
Banned

Oddometer: 4,185
For you old locals, 1989

Were any of you living here in 1989?

I will never forget that year.

In April, I bought a new GMC pickup. The first new truck I ever owned. I still ahve it and it has over 320,000 miles on it.

That September, we were hit by hurricane Hugo.

On this day in 1989, Wilmington broke its low temperature record.

It was -3 F here.

It was a mess. Pipes were broken all over town. People who had old cottages were hit very hard. Those cottages were built in the 30s and 40s and had NO insulation. The poeple were summer residents; so when the pipes thawed, water flooded their houses.

I made the trip down from Columbia, SC, and spent three days with a water tool, turning off water to every house I could.

I left notes on the houses letting people know who I was and why I had turned their water off. I still bump into some of those old guys and they still thank me.
OldBMWMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 04:32 AM   #65
SkylineKeith OP
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,612
I've got dirt in my yard...that needs sod. JK

We are close enough to each other that we need to go exploring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothra
Good to meet everybody and put some faces to names. Ride back through Fort Fisher was a nice change of place. Looking forward to the next one. Maybe we can find some dirt.
SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:06 AM   #66
mothra
Rally Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapeFearKeith
I've got dirt in my yard...that needs sod. JK

We are close enough to each other that we need to go exploring.

Sod's no problem. I need to put out some this spring myself.

Lot's of places left to explore. Let's just make sure we don't let Monkee lead. I need to stay out of trouble with the law.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #67
praetorian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
You guys are going to force me to go buy a KLR instead of waiting for the F800GS.... you realize this?
praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:31 AM   #68
SkylineKeith OP
Motorcycle Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorian
You guys are going to force me to go buy a KLR instead of waiting for the F800GS.... you realize this?
Buy a used bike and wait on the GS. Win-Win multi bike garage.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 AM   #69
waldrtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I wish I could have meet up with you guys! Yes, you better watch at at River Rd. I grew up in Wilmington and rode out there every weekend about 15 years ago. I mostly ride in the Holly shelter game land and anogla bay game land. I have not been to Sutton lake in a long time. There use to be some good trails off Market st. near Porters Neck behind the Food Lion. Not sure if they are still there since they have built the new bypass. Let me know if anybody would like to go on some exploirng trips.

Tim
waldrtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #70
praetorian
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrtw
I wish I could have meet up with you guys! Yes, you better watch at at River Rd. I grew up in Wilmington and rode out there every weekend about 15 years ago. I mostly ride in the Holly shelter game land and anogla bay game land. I have not been to Sutton lake in a long time. There use to be some good trails off Market st. near Porters Neck behind the Food Lion. Not sure if they are still there since they have built the new bypass. Let me know if anybody would like to go on some exploirng trips.

Tim
There will be many more opportunities for you to join us in the near future, Tim.

Keep an eye and ear out.

Robert
praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #71
mothra
Rally Driver

Holy Shelter would be a nice ride. I have not been there in 10 years. What are the rules for access? I noticed lately that the gate on US 17 is usually locked.

The Croatan National Forest has lots of dirt and an ORV area. It's only 1.5 up the road.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:59 AM   #72
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Quote:
Let's just make sure we don't let Monkee lead. I need to stay out of trouble with the law.

C'mon, you know you want to come to the swamp again.

The trails behind the food lion in porters neck are still there, though they end at the bypass. not sure how to get to the other side.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #73
waldrtw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
It use to come out at the end of Murryville road. You might be able to get to the other side from there.

The Holly shelter game land is open to licensnd vehicles when the gates are open. Which they should be open for hunting season. I ride out there on most Sundays but have not been in a few weeks.
waldrtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:45 PM   #74
SkylineKeith OP
Motorcycle Junkie

+1 I have looked on my Atlas and gazetter and lust to ride Holly Shelter. Those who have riden there previously are the designated ride leaders.

Quote:
Holy Shelter would be a nice ride. I have not been there in 10 years. What are the rules for access? I noticed lately that the gate on US 17 is usually locked.

The Croatan National Forest has lots of dirt and an ORV area. It's only 1.5 up the road.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #75
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrtw
It use to come out at the end of Murryville road. You might be able to get to the other side from there.
Yeah, you can still ride from Porters Neck to Murrayville rd, but I wouldnt really call it trails. Just a few miles of dirt road with a few side tracks.