Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #1
jsd454 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
What is the expected clutch life on an LC4?

I just bought a 00 Adventure with 14k miles. How many miles are you guys getting out of your clutches?

My clutch seems to slip a bit. It is difficult to tell though. The rpms will rise about 500 immediately when you accelerate. I have tried putting it in 4th or 5th around 4k rpms and going from no throttle to WFO. The revs jump ~500rpm or so and it feels a little soft, but it doesn't just redline or anything.

I backed off the adjuster pretty far, so that I have a good 25% free play in the clutch lever. I am running motorex 15-50 semi synthetic oil (fresh). I pulled the clutch cover off, and all of the plates measure ok, but the friction plates are dark and pretty shiny. I have been away from wet clutches for about 10yrs, and don't recall off hand what is acceptable.

Thanks!
jsd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,137
Excellently stated question jsd - a little description of the behavior, plus you cover things that effect the clutch.

It must really depend on the rider and how they use the clutch, especially on a D/S bike. Hopefully there are clutch plate measurements and/or slipping behavior like you stated that can be used to identify a worn clutch.

I'm interested too.

EDIT; here are some threads for you to review (in no particular order):
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160821
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173264
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180878
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233283
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84267

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.

meat popsicle screwed with this post 12-11-2007 at 09:07 AM
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,228
If you back off the throttle, and whack it back open again, do the rpm's still rise again?

If so I think you need to replace the clutch plates. If it only slips every first time after you have engaged the clutch it might be the basket that has worn spots.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
jsd454 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
If you back off the throttle, and whack it back open again, do the rpm's still rise again?

If so I think you need to replace the clutch plates. If it only slips every first time after you have engaged the clutch it might be the basket that has worn spots.
That is when I get the 500RPM jump. I can't tell if it is a true slip or if it is just a glitch in the tach, or actual acceleration.

Based on the other threads posted by Meat, I think 3 Rally springs would be a good start. I wouldn't mind the clutch feel being a bit more aggressive. I am not going to worry too much about the clutch discs until I get some more pronounced slippage.

I am surprised that the clutch drag is so minimal. I used to own a '93 400EXC and a '97 400EXC. Both were very sensitive to oil types. You could hardly even stop the '93 in gear with some types of oil! I had very good luck with Synergyn oils back then. The Motorex in the 640A seems to be fine.
jsd454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,767
JSD,
I don't think rally springs exist....KTM myth.
Sometimes I am wrong.
b.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley

bmwktmbill screwed with this post 12-12-2007 at 10:01 PM
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:19 AM   #6
halfcab
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
I am guessing you are calling the "steel" plate the friction plate.
If the steel plate has any discoloring it should be replaced are repaired.

Check the clutch basket for wear marks from the fiber plate.

Remimber....a wet clutch needs to be installed "wet" (coated with oil), never install dry.
halfcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #7
Jan from Finland
Registered

Oddometer: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsd454
I just bought a 00 Adventure with 14k miles. How many miles are you guys getting out of your clutches?
84 000 km/53k miles and still counting, even if I consider myself as a heavy user. It would take an awful amount of work and misuse to kill it at 14k miles. Make sure that the cable is not binding or something.

LC4 has so little power (compared to street bikes) that clutches seem to last forever. I actually bought a new clutch pack few years ago when the gear box was open, but I haven't installed it yet. No need, what-so-ever.
- Pro Travel Tip by Overland Journal
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan from Finland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #8
Achtung
Wicked Pisssah Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
If its like my DR then it'll last about 2 miles of hard single track with a couple of nearly impassable hill climbs thrown in.

Seriously though it all depends on how its used, could vary greatly but it sounds like yours may be on the way out. You could try using conventional oil before doing

anything else.
I've found that semi synth (even designed for motorcycles) can cause premature slippage in some bikes.
Achtung is offline   Reply With Quote