Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #1
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Question Type of Oil for G650X Motor?

Hi,

Just wondering what the recommended oil type is for the G650X motor? The owners manual is ambiguous in that it starts by recommending mineral of a certain quality, then goes on to talk about not using synthetic until after a certain mileage has been reached.

Following engine break-in, I always assumed that it was the quality rating of oil that was important, rather than whether the oil is synthetic, semi-synthetic or mineral only. Indeed in some countries I've not been able to find fully synthetic.

Thanks.
Ian640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #2
oldschoolnutter
crash...never

Oddometer: 32

BMW Motorcycles
Service Bulletin

Subject: SJ Engine Oil - Not Approved

Specification: BMW provides specific recommendations for fuel and lubricants in the Service and Technical Booklet for each model of motorcycle, or in the Rider’s Manual on older model motorcycles. These recommendations are based on specific knowledge of the engine requirements and thorough endurance testing.

Recommendation: The current recommendation is as follows:

Brand-name HD oil, API classification SF, SG or SH; CD or CE suffixes are permissable; alternatively, brand-name HD oil, CCMC classification G4 or G5; suffix PD2 is permissible.

Not Approved: The API specification SJ is not approved for use in any BMW motorcycle. This latest API classification does not guaranty the required levels of wear protective additives such as Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc etc. As with most prior API specifications.

Customer We suggest that you council with your customers regarding the oils being
Interaction: used in their motorcycle. Most oils found in commercial discount and automotive supply stores are now API SJ classification, which means that they should not be used. Use this opportunity to create in store displays and promote the full range of approved BMW motorcycle lubricants.

That's an old bulletin but good to know....
BMW doesn't recomend Synth in any of their bikes except the new K1200's beyond 6000miles.
10w40 for the GXs in most applications.
That said I run 5w40 full synth in my track bike....get me a couple of ponies.

Buy good oil...motorcycle specific Motul, Repsol, Spectro....get exccellent reviews
If you are changing your oil as often as you should any good oil should suffice.
I will run Synth in my GX when it clears 20,000km.
Hope that helps.
oldschoolnutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
The instruction booklet that came with my bike specifies NOT to use full synthetic in the first 10.000 kms. I doesn't mention I should not use full synthetic oil in it AFTER these first 10.000 miles. Just like on mostly any other engine.

I see no reason not to use it after the engine is fully broken in. The F650/G650 engine is not that different from any other single cylinder. Just as long as you wait until you've reached the 10.000 km mark, and use motorcycle specific synthetic oil.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #4
Metteke
Beemer beat in me

Oddometer: 209
In the ETK application BMW says BMW 15W40 mineral oil. This is the oil for the cars as well.
Basically, any good mineral/half synth oil is ok. Make shure you do not have friction enhancers in the oil, this is not good for the clutch. I think oil is rather different in US than it is here in EU, so better check.

The F650's use Castrol gps 10W40 as recommended oil. Should be ok as wel.

I'll take a picture of the BMW bottle...
Metteke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Kool
The instruction booklet that came with my bike specifies NOT to use full synthetic in the first 10.000 kms. I doesn't mention I should not use full synthetic oil in it AFTER these first 10.000 miles.
Yes, my owners manual says the same, but before that states mineral oils of API SF to SH.

Anyway, I'll likely use semi-synthetic after break-in, and do an oil filter change more frequently than recommended. Putoline is current favourite.

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #6
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metteke
In the ETK application BMW says BMW 15W40 mineral oil. This is the oil for the cars as well.
Basically, any good mineral/half synth oil is ok. Make shure you do not have friction enhancers in the oil, this is not good for the clutch. I think oil is rather different in US than it is here in EU, so better check.

The F650's use Castrol gps 10W40 as recommended oil. Should be ok as wel.

I'll take a picture of the BMW bottle...
What's the ETK application?

Look forward to the pic.

By the way, I'll take this opportunity to say IMHO the G650X looks like being the best motorcycle I've ever owned in this category (previous were an air-cooled Tenere, LC4 Adventure and 640LC4-E).

Yet to take the XCh off-tarmac, waiting for my 'protection parts' to arrive as it's a bit slippy round these parts at the moment.

Thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Metteke
Beemer beat in me

ETK is Elektronic Teile Katalog or Electronic Parts Catalog.
I usually check the engine chapter because there they put the original oil...

We have some boxers running on 20W50 BMW Mineral and after almost 100.000kms, no signs of wear. Everything within spec. So good maintenance with mineral is better than no maintenance with expencive synth...

Took al while for photo, had a fight with the GIMP. Wouldn't start, had to reinstall... sorry...
Old 12-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #8
Ian640 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Thanks Metteke.

Does the ETK come with the service manual DVD?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:34 PM   #9
Metteke
Beemer beat in me

No, is separate. Is also updated several times per year.

Good alternative is http://www.realoem.com
Old 12-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
jthurber80
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Oil Boy

What kind of oil? Slippery oil!

That being said, if you go to Germany you'll find every single vehicle running synthetic oil -- usually from the beginning of life. Engines break in just fine on synthetic oil, or petroleum based oil, or even vegetable oil. Just make sure it's slippery oil.

The Europeans have a once-a-year habit where they change their oil -- mileage be damned. Why? Synthetics. The only time oil should be changed more frequently is when you're using it for cooking. When it gets rancid, change it.

When checking your oil level (critical on a Triumph, unnecessary on a Japanese unit, questionable on anything from Germany) occasionally smell it. If it smells like a dead pig, change it.

Otherwise, the only thing that seems to matter -- seriously -- is that you actually have oil in the engine and it is . . . slippery.
jthurber80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:54 AM   #11
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthurber80
The Europeans have a once-a-year habit where they change their oil -- mileage be damned.

[...]
What do you know about Europeans that we Europeans don't even know ourselves?

The discussion on synthetic versus dyno oil is just as lively over here as it is in the States.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #12
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Just keep one thing in mind when manufactures say stuff like they dont reconmend using synthetic oil in there engines, That only means that if you run it (after a proper break in period) that your engine would last too long and they wont sell parts to you, to keep making money off you.

I will be running 20w50 amsoil in my bike after about 10000 miles, Right now I am just running good valvoline in it. I have ran 20w50 ams in everything I own and have no problems at all. Plus the amsoil engineer my dad spoke to said its there best oil period.

As for the once a year oil change, thats my habit on my old van with 20w50 ams in it, My Mercedes I run 20W50 ams in and change around 5-7500 miles. The new Mercedes Benzs that i work on at the dealer all have a 1 year life span on the mobile 1 fully synthetic they run, or 13,000 miles.
They are also filled from the factory with it and do not have a dyno oil break in period. And i figure if its good enough oil for a 600 HP 750 ftlb twin turbo v12 that cost an extra 80k on top of the already 120k price tag of a new sl or s class amg, then that the oil is ok.

And JMO I think the SJ oil will be just fine, when I learned about the oil classifications in school, In order to have the next class of oil like SJ It must meet all of its predisesor qualifications. So i think you wont ever have a problem running SJ. That is also the manufacture saying, Shit we have all this old oil on the self that we gotta get rid of before we can sell the newer stuff, so lets just say it hasnt been tested yet and reconmend only the old stuff.
Dont get me wrong I am sure they test the shit out of it but you get my point i hope.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:15 AM   #13
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,567
Ahhhh, G650X...how about GTX? Seriously.... Castrol.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:32 AM   #14
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

It's a G650X right? So as long as the oil has a G and an X in its name it must be ok.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:20 AM   #15
oldschoolnutter
crash...never

Oddometer: 32
synth vs. mineral

Right.
Ok the reason (I understand) BMW tends to shy away from synth in new bike is due to the fact that it takes forever for the average rider to break in the bike.
BMW considers it acceptable (specially on the big twins) for the bike to burn up to a liter of oil per 1000km....that gents is a hell of alot of oil.
My last new twin (R1100S) finally smoothed out at round 30,000km, it didn't use an ounce of oil in it's 10k invervals. I was knocking down 25000km a season so I was using the thing....track days to.
I perosnally have never put synth in a BMW motor.
20w50 in twins
10w40 in singles
(motul or spectro)
Synth in trans and final.
The barrels are coated with nickel silicon tough stuff takes a little longer to break in, synth because it tends to be more slippery, will slow that process down.
Break in the bike...
then switch to synth to aid longevity.

my though anyway.
oldschoolnutter is offline   Reply With Quote