Of shoes-and ships-and sealing-wax-
and Husqvarna TE610's...

Trang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
about time.
Only had mine a few weeks but i wont taint this thread too with my drible.
Suspension work is a must on this bike, they seem to have done the opposite to the japs and made the suspension too hard. It feels as harsh as a sport bike on bumpy tar roads. Then again, im only 75kg.

After the minor "issue" is fixed i'll probably be selling it, not because its a bad bike but it doesnt suit my needs at the moment.
ADVJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,129
Woohoo... I'm in! Here's a photo of mine with a little inspiration in the background... The Light Horse Cavalry.

Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #4
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Oddometer: 679
I was thinking of selling mine and getting something like 950/990 around the middle of next year - but it's just too much fun, so just bought a biggish road bike.

Here's my pic titled "The bike will go anywhere - you just gotta hang on...." and yes I was riding downhill

vbstubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 09:51 PM   #5
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

do you guys use regular unleaded or premium in your 610?
Old 12-16-2007, 01:10 AM   #6
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Premium when I can get it, but have used normal a few times and can't tell much difference.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:50 AM   #7
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbstubby
Premium when I can get it, but have used normal a few times and can't tell much difference.
Thanks VB... my Dakar runs WAY better on regular and my TTR runs better on premium, so premium it is for the 610
I love the smell of PULP in the morning
Old 12-19-2007, 11:46 PM   #8
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

This thing eats tyres and farts gravel

Well finally got to take the 610 for a decent shakedown ride today. Gravel roads, high speed bitumen and about 70k's of dirt track. This bike rocks
Best bike I have ever ridden on gravel, I felt like I wanted to ride gravel forever today and I usually hate the stuff. I don't know how much was the bike and how much the tyres, I am a bit dubious about the Karoos in sand (had many moments today) but they sure seem the shit on gravel. This is just a confidence inspiring bike I reckon, once you are under way you forget about the height and weight and I was getting some nice jumps and just flying over all kinds of terrain, a steering dampener for the sand would be nice. All in all totoally enjoyed the bike today, just one little hickup. I pulled up in some bush just before the highway to have a drink and reset my mirrors and realized that my right boot, knee and glove and most of the rightside of the bike were covered in liquid? It looked like someone had hit me with a water baloon. At first I thought the fuel tank was leaking, but it didn't have any smell... wasn't thick like oil... hmmm thinking, check the brake reservoir- yup pull the front brake, fluid pisses out!
So had to ride all the way home with no front brake, which was interesting when I overcooked a turn and went through sideways on the rear brake at 90kmh. Hopefully just a minor problemo, I will check it out later, I'm off to bottle some beer now!

One last thing, I bought this bike for a specific purpose... to be able to do highspeed bitumen/gravel comforatbly over a distance to get to areas that I want to ride off road and then be able to ride hard when I hit the dirt. Today proved it to be excellent for this purpose.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:01 AM   #9
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Yesterday was my first fire trail type ride for a few months - after my last few trips have been on smooth farm roads. The smile never leaves your face, even when your arms and legs are aching

Totally agree Rhino - 610's very confidence inspiring - now just gotta learn to ride better
Old 12-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Got a couple of questions for you guys,

Is AS expedition panniers possible on the 610? It looks like you need a rack?

What is the seat like for big days?

Is servicing/spares on the KTM or the Suzuki side of the balance?

I understand there is a IMS 17L tank available

Is there any "common mods" people do? I would think that getting rid of the Boeing707 dick of a muffler would be at the top.

Why didn't Australia get the FI version?

rossco

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #11
ADVJake
***** dweller

Oddometer: 4,341
I took the 610 out on sunday with a girl on her first trail ride.
this was the first time i had taken the 610 on its first trail ride.
She was on the 200 EXC.

So we went to the Watagans, up slippery rock rd, (not the nice rocky hill to the left at that intersection, hehe)
and followed the main dirt rd to the pines. And did that trail to the right just as you enter the 40 zone.

The 610 is shit easy in hillclimbs, cant believe how it tractors. I took it up one rocky bitch of a hill with ease with the girl watching on in disbelief. Oh you got to show off now and then
ADVJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:02 AM   #12
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
Got a couple of questions for you guys,

Is AS expedition panniers possible on the 610? It looks like you need a rack? I'd say no issues. Check out www.dirtbagz.com for excellent side carry racks (very good standard rack), it also comes with a heat shield for the exhaust

What is the seat like for big days? Stock seat is crap, I have GUTS racing one, plus a sheepskin and have done a few 700km days on motards and feel OK end of the day.

Is servicing/spares on the KTM or the Suzuki side of the balance? I've had no issues so far, booking in for 10K service early Jan.

I understand there is a IMS 17L tank available. It's 19 litres, and I reckon there's another half a litre when I divert the breather hose up rather than down.

Is there any "common mods" people do? I would think that getting rid of the Boeing707 dick of a muffler would be at the top. Yet to do this, this bike is fast enough for me out of the box. There is a Barrett exhaust around $400, and supposedly a few extra HP, plus much cooler but louder.

Why didn't Australia get the FI version? I haven't looked into this yet, I'm due out to one of the biggest dealers in a few weeks so will ask then.

rossco
Hope this helps, anything else just ask.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
rosscoact
need constant supervision

Oddometer: 5,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbstubby
Hope this helps, anything else just ask.
Yes it does, thanks.

I'm thinking a new bike in the garage for 2008 and I'm keen on a cafe racer or street tracker but I don't particularly like the tar, just pretty shiny things.

The TE610 looks the horn IMHO and I would prefer a more dirty successor to the DR than the tar oriented bikes which seem to dominate the DS market.

cheers
rossco

www.transaustraliatrail.com.au
rosscoact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
vbstubby
One day I wont be a nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoact
....I don't particularly like the tar....

The TE610 looks the horn IMHO and I would prefer a more dirty successor to the DR than the tar oriented bikes which seem to dominate the DS market.
I've never ridden a DR (owned a KLR), a second hand '06 610 will be close to the same price as a new DR and IMHO much more worthy trail bike with some of the two year warranty left. Try and get a ride on one, even an older 02-04 model are similar engines with the suspension set up on the newer ones being that bit better.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

oil change leak- need help

I changed the oil last night (and the oil filter) and had a quick ride after and no leaks. Today it is stinking hot out, and I started the bike up to head off on a long ride and oil just pissed out from around the seal of the oil filter cover. I think I may of put a little too much oil in, would that create to much pressure on the hot motor? Or did I not replace the oil filter cover properly (it seemed to go back together ok, by the way it is a brand new bike and this is the first oil change at about 500k's.) I did not replace the O-Ring in the filter cover as I figured it is so new it should be ok, would that be a problem? Any ideas appreciated???

Oh yeah, what is the torque pressure recomended for the screws that hold the oil cover on, I am worried I am going to over tighten if I crank on them any more??