Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #46
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,120
Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.W
The question is Rhino, how did you get the bike there??!!!! Muddy track, muddy boot prints next to bike, clean rear tyre??????

Magic, strength, use of the legendary sky hook
Mark, that photo shows just the entry... I had been flying down a track and saw a bit of a drop off ahead and by the time I saw the DEEP mud on the other side of the small slope, I was already into it, hard on brakes and stopped dead when the front wheel became suctioned in to the mud! Don't worry, by the time I got to the other end of the track EVERYTHING was covered in clay mud
Took me quite a while with the hose on fine high pressure to get it off and that was after going through some two foot deep puddles not long after the mud bath as well. I have had bad luck with puddles lately, I have slowed down for some that turned out to be only inches deep and then gone flat out through others that looked the same only to turn out to be bike swallowing, arm tearing, bottomless pits

Looking back the other way with AngryAd holding my TE:

Southern Explorers trail and adventure riding group contact me for details
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #47
Trang OP
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343
Thanks mate, I already tried to buy from billsmc off ebay and from justtanks in the US as well. Bill told me he couldnt send through mail and courier was $400 same from the other guys. It seems that the tank is just over the dimensions that USPS will allow since 9/11!
I have emailed R&D already as well but havent heard back from them, I will call them friday if no one on here wants to sell one?

edit: R&D just emailed me back. So unless there is a second hand one lurking around I will order one through them??
Any progress with the tank Husky?
Old 11-03-2008, 09:51 PM   #48
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyte610e
Any progress with the tank Husky?
Not at this stage, still dubious as too the quality of the IMS and there doesn't seem to be anything else on the market... am in two minds as to what to do at present.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:49 AM   #49
Mark.W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
I would have bought a new FI 610 3 months ago if you could get a LR tank for it. Wanted to loose the KLR and 1100GS at the same time and thought a 610 could satisfy the gap and be a good enduro entry.

Ultimately went with a two bike option of WR450 and kept my 1100GS. Currently updating both and happy to keep them .

However, if I was in two minds like some here I reckon' that 650XC at 11990 must be real tempting.................would be a great allrounder with the TT tank and a screen .
Mark.W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #50
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark.W
I would have bought a new FI 610 3 months ago if you could get a LR tank for it. Wanted to loose the KLR and 1100GS at the same time and thought a 610 could satisfy the gap and be a good enduro entry.

Ultimately went with a two bike option of WR450 and kept my 1100GS. Currently updating both and happy to keep them .

However, if I was in two minds like some here I reckon' that 650XC at 11990 must be real tempting.................would be a great allrounder with the TT tank and a screen .

Nah not in two minds about the bike, just about sticking with my bum tank or buying the ims larger main tank... personally I think the Husky is a way better bike than the xchallenge for what I want it for... the xchallenge is probably next best choice though. Even at 12k I find the bmw overpriced unless they gave you a complimentary Ohlins rear shock with it...
Old 11-05-2008, 03:09 AM   #51
cautiousbob
struggling along

Oddometer: 415
speed wobbles

I have noticed that around 100km/h i get a bit of a wobble through the handlebars. At first I thought it was just getting flung about a bit by wind (on the putty rd) but it happens all the time. anything from about 98 and up causes a wobble. I haven't been game to go past 110 to see if it goes away.

Has anyone else had this? btw - my bike is an '08 with the stock karoo tyres. the've seen about 1500km (mostly street)
cautiousbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #52
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cautiousbob
I have noticed that around 100km/h i get a bit of a wobble through the handlebars. At first I thought it was just getting flung about a bit by wind (on the putty rd) but it happens all the time. anything from about 98 and up causes a wobble. I haven't been game to go past 110 to see if it goes away.

Has anyone else had this? btw - my bike is an '08 with the stock karoo tyres. the've seen about 1500km (mostly street)
Mine is '07 but when the Karoo's were on they were rock solid, the Tractionator Enduro gave a bit of a weave but I got used to it... I've done speeds upto 160kmh for extended periods and no major probs, even on the Tractionator
Have you got rim locks fitted? Balanced the wheels since they were installed? Checked that the wheel is set true?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:08 AM   #53
aussiehusky
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Te owners in brissy

Seen a few posts but not many from Qld Te owners, I'd be interested in South Brissy/vegas, maybe a get together if possible..

Pat --> in the Logan area
aussiehusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:21 PM   #54
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,176
Qld Rider

Hi there, have had my 08 TE610 for a while now, bought one of the very first to come into Oz, having lived on the US and Oz internet forums for 1.5 years just researching the 'which bike' question for me.

I have found it is the perfect bike for me. I had some early problems with electrics (some italian guy had put the negative wire to the positive battery terminal) but this was easily fixed after the early terror.

I have put an Uptite Racing slip-on pipe, an Uptite bashplate and those barkbuster handguards. I haven't even put on the rear rack yet, I found I never needed to buy a Nomad tank after all - was getting 300kms on a tank on easy cruising around.

With the first service out of the way and the bike being tuned for the race pipe, now it goes like a rocket. And if you move from idle up towards 5000 rpm, it sounds like the monster that it should be.

I would have to agree with the susspension criticism, I need to do somethign about the front forks' harshness over fast little jarring bumps, e.g. fast gravel roads with ruts or rocks. I have also had to wind the rear shock almost all the way up to get the sag right.

I think I might spend some $$ early next year and get the front forks serviced/tuned/fixed and also a heavier shock on the back so that it can operate in its ideal range of movement.

I ride areas from tight and mountainous forestry single trail, to flying along the bitumen down to Rainbow beach for a blast along the beach.

My only serious complaint at the moment is a slight wobble in the front (I put on a Dunlop 606) at speeds over 100km/h, but when I replace the rear tyre soon, I'll get my new front balanced at the same time.

Look forward to hearing some stuff from Oz TE610 riders. Seems like we're so happy off by ourselves we don't get into this forum stuff.....

Edit: some more info:
haven't done any more than a few hundred kms at a time. I imagine a softer seat option or an airhawk would be needed unless you had 'buns of steel'. I spend most of my riding standing up, so it doesn't bother me too much yet. I think an Airhawk option for adventure type rides might be on the cards. I am planning a ride from Gympie to Cunnamulla & return next year, so I reckon I'll know about the distance thing. It should go for ever with that slow big motor and all that oil capacity. The 'cush' type thingy in the clutch probably helps smooth out the stresses on the drive train too.

Blakduk screwed with this post 11-08-2008 at 03:07 PM
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:56 AM   #55
cautiousbob
struggling along

Rhino,

Thanks for your reply. I have done neither of the last two...but i had a bit of a go on saturday night on the freeway and cruised past 100km up to about 115 and it felt smooth as.

i don't really have anything meaningful to contribute, but here's a picture from my mobile. i just figured out how to bluetooth it to my laptop...
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2008, 05:57 AM   #56
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cautiousbob
Rhino,

Thanks for your reply. I have done neither of the last two...but i had a bit of a go on saturday night on the freeway and cruised past 100km up to about 115 and it felt smooth as.

i don't really have anything meaningful to contribute, but here's a picture from my mobile. i just figured out how to bluetooth it to my laptop...

That pipe look wicked, is it a Barrett(sp?)
Old 11-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #57
cautiousbob
struggling along

Yeah the pipe is a Barrett. When i bought the bike, i let the dealer choose the colours. I think he did a good job. The pipe is not too loud, but loud enough. The rear left blinker is copping it though, still works but getting a bit melted in the current position.

here's another shot from the other side.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #58
cautiousbob
struggling along

sorry, try again...
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2008, 05:03 PM   #59
rpo83
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 584
I have been thinking about replacing the 1150GSA with one of these things, but the durability worried me. A mate has a 2000 TE610 and it is a weapon, BUT bugger all oil capacity.

I had entertained the idea of a........... DR650 because it had 2.4 ltr oil, but Blakduks comment about slow motor and "All that oil capacity" caught my attention.

What is the oil capacity of these engines?

I might have to look harder at these. I walked in to my local husky dealer in Melb and was very impressed with the bike, however a large tank would be needed, are large tanks available for the 07's? Or accessory tanks for the 08's?

Now you bastards have me thinkin.......

My 2011 Ride around Aus http://rpo83.blogspot.com.au/
rpo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:00 PM   #60
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

steve, the oil capacity is 2 litres. The bikes sure as hell are durable. They make great adventurfe bikes if you are really getting off the beaten track. The 07 has a approx. 22litre tank available from ims, I use a Nomad bum tank with mine instead though. The 08 has a tank being made for it at present but not out yet, i think it is from Acerbis?? Much more info is available in the Thumpers forum, under the main TE610 sign in thread!
Basically they are an excellent do it all, indestructible bike. And having done a nig trip with Pejie on his 1150 Gsa and me on the Husky.... I can tell you which bike I would rather be on (well Pejie wasnt 'on' a bike very much at all... rather more like under it... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpo83
I have been thinking about replacing the 1150GSA with one of these things, but the durability worried me. A mate has a 2000 TE610 and it is a weapon, BUT bugger all oil capacity.

I had entertained the idea of a........... DR650 because it had 2.4 ltr oil, but Blakduks comment about slow motor and "All that oil capacity" caught my attention.

What is the oil capacity of these engines?

I might have to look harder at these. I walked in to my local husky dealer in Melb and was very impressed with the bike, however a large tank would be needed, are large tanks available for the 07's? Or accessory tanks for the 08's?

Now you bastards have me thinkin.......