Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #76
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by cautiousbob
hey guys,

i went for a ride with some mates on monday around some pine forest at oberon (had a decent coming off which resulted in a dead leg and bruised confidence and sorry no pics) but i had a ride of a crf450 with a steering dampener. i have not ridden a bike with one of these and i was surprised at how true the bike seemed to feel through some otherwise pretty slippery stuff. has anyone got one on their 610? if so which one, is it under or over the bars and do you think it makes a noticeable difference to the bikes handling (or your riding)? and how much was it?

i should note at this point that the 610 was pretty well behaved through the slippery stuff even though the rear rubber is looking pretty tired.

There's a whole thread on it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241707

There is only one that is a simple fit, you can find it here:
http://www.motosportz.com/HVA-SS/610damper_details.htm
It is custom made for the 610 by Motosportz in the Usa... you can also pay more to get it in aussieland from www.husky.com.au
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #77
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,243
Motosportz damper

The only problem I see is that it really does obscure the speedo etc when you are sitting down. I posted this question to a US forum and they confirmed that it is not perfect in this regard.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:42 AM   #78
tduttr1
rippin dr650

Oddometer: 13
How many miles do you guys have on your te 610? i'm very interested in picking one up if they're reliable. Also how often do you have to adjust the valves and how much $ to complete this service? any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!
tduttr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:19 PM   #79
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,243
I have about 2500kms on mine, first service was a couple hundred bucks I think; but I know they had a pretty good look over it......I guess changing the oil and airfilter should not cost that much?? But they did do the performance tune up for my new Uptite exhaust at the time.

I had noticed black sticky stuff around the top of the head when I cleaned it, not sure at this stage if it is just some muck/dust stuck to some CRC-type spray; or whether I have a leaky head gasket.

It is just too hot at the moment to go and take off the fuel tank etc and have a good look. If there is any problem, I know two dealers who will fix it up on the warranty with minimal aggravation.....one plus of the big warranty I guess.

Would like to ride it more, but just too hot at the moment. Am planning a ride from Gympie to Cunnamulla & return in Autumn next year, so that should put about 3000kms extra on it, when I get around to organising a couple of mates and a route.

Everything I have read on the US forums indicates that the TE610 is very reliable and valves do not need much / any attention.

The service intervals are 5000kms, that should be an indication. (but I will change the oil at 2500kms; because oil is cheaper than a breakdown)

On trail and road riding, you would have to try hard to go over half throttle. I'll never wear the motor out, I'm sure. Plenty of power and wide gearing.

I hope that with oil changes, clean air filter and casual riding, I'll see 50,000 kms. At my ride rate that is over 10 years away - time to think of a F800GS or comparable then.

Addendum: As to the above comments about the front suspension, I'd have to agree and am hoping a visit to a suspension tuner might improve things. Just not great over that fast corrugations or rocky roads. Good on the big hard stuff though.

Blakduk screwed with this post 12-30-2008 at 07:24 PM
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 PM   #80
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tduttr1
How many miles do you guys have on your te 610? i'm very interested in picking one up if they're reliable. Also how often do you have to adjust the valves and how much $ to complete this service? any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Done about 10000k's on mine in the last 12 months since I bought it new. Only problem I have had is the upper chain roller breaking off twice (both times when bike was being ridden very hard and fully loaded with luggage etc.) fixed under warranty... very reliable bike and services at 5000k intervals.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:41 AM   #81
ronnie ron
n00b is fine

Oddometer: 68
Hey boys,

I am looking at getting some soft panniers and I was wondering what set ups others had on the TE610. I haven't got a rack on yet so any advice on racks would be great too.

Cheers.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 AM   #82
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie ron
Hey boys,

I am looking at getting some soft panniers and I was wondering what set ups others had on the TE610. I haven't got a rack on yet so any advice on racks would be great too.

Cheers.
I have the Dirtbagz rack and bags, been on some long hard rides with them and they are great!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #83
ronnie ron
n00b is fine

Cheers Justin,

They look really good, quite a simple design too. The low Aussie dollar has increased the price by almost $100 though! Did you buy them direct?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #84
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie ron
Cheers Justin,

They look really good, quite a simple design too. The low Aussie dollar has increased the price by almost $100 though! Did you buy them direct?
Ordered them direct but ended up getting referred back to Aus supplier who gave a good deal. this is their site:
http://www.mtdtours.com/index.php?op...d=62&Itemid=50
Old 01-08-2009, 05:37 AM   #85
cautiousbob
struggling along

Oddometer: 417
Ron,

I think Steve Red (who is all over these forums) is the distributor now for Giant Loop which is a really cool looking soft bag. From memory i think the capacity is about 30l and the price is around $400, but i could be wrong on the last bit...
cautiousbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #86
ronnie ron
n00b is fine

Cheers Bob,

The Giant Loop bag looks really good. They even whack one on a Husky on their website! I like the fact you don't need a rack and it looks solid.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #87
cautiousbob
struggling along

Oddometer: 417
I really like the idea of the giant loop bag, but given that i have three kids under 7, the whole 'adventure' part of riding is in my mind. that and working 6 days a week. i can't really justify buying this sort of stuff, yet.
cautiousbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #88
Bleh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,258
looking for a new (to me) bike, I came across an ad for an 06 TE610 at a reasonable price. I've wanted one for a few years now but the price has been holding me back, so this made me happy.

My only concern is, that this bike has 24,000km on it. I assume they are mostly road k's because he has a motard kit on it.

How many km's have people put on these? Is 24,000km getting close to a rebuild or is it still a long way off? I don't recall reading anywhere about people putting much more than that on them.

Any advice/info appreciated.
Bleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #89
zc351
crash test dummy

Oddometer: 26
To all you guys wondering about buying a TE

Mines for sale in the flea market regional section

Top bike and its an 07 so you can put the big tank on and click your suspension good

'07 TE610
'07 XB12R Buell
'69 FORD Fairlane
zc351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:48 AM   #90
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,128
I got one, I got one!!!
I'm so freaking stoked. 2006 610 with 900k's on the dial. I think it's accurate, disks, pegs, original front tyre etc all support it. $6300. I bought it unreg, it'd been sitting on the dealers floor for months. I think they were just happy to be rid of it.
Spent all day today playing with it. Put some bling on. IMS tank, Barrett pipe, new jetting as suggested by shop. (Yeah.. I'm suspect.. ) Cleaned airfilter, checked it all out.
How bloody stupid is it to have a 10mm allen key for sump and front axle. Any one changed out the sump plug for a magnetic bolt arrangement? My 360 husky has the R and D bolt in the front axle. Guess I'll be calling them Monday. Air filter arrangement is odd. I guess I've been spoilt by no tool ones. Bark busters and fat bars to come, only because I have a spare set lying around. Have a BandB bash plate to fit. All the bling bits cost about $1400 so so far it's a $7700 bike.
Anyone had any experience with the JD jet kit for the 610? I put one in a 625 kato and it seemed to clean it up. Jetting seems Okay but a bigger ride will tell.
I'll have to take some pics and show. Going for a big two day single trail ride this weekend so am taking my 360 but hope to put some miles on next week...

Giddyup!!