Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 01:07 AM   #91
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleh
looking for a new (to me) bike, I came across an ad for an 06 TE610 at a reasonable price. I've wanted one for a few years now but the price has been holding me back, so this made me happy.

My only concern is, that this bike has 24,000km on it. I assume they are mostly road k's because he has a motard kit on it.

How many km's have people put on these? Is 24,000km getting close to a rebuild or is it still a long way off? I don't recall reading anywhere about people putting much more than that on them.

Any advice/info appreciated.
I've heard in the US forums guys with over 40,000 kms. I certainly won't worry much about my motor until after about then. It is such a big slow heavy and well oiled motor.

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.
Blakduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #92
ronnie ron
n00b is fine

Oddometer: 68
Hey guys,

How is ya all? I am going on a big ride in a couple of weeks with the guys down at West Coast Trailbike Safari's and I am thinking about my current tyres? I am reasonably happy with the Karoo's but I have come off a few times on the dirt. This probably has as much to do with my ability as anything else but it has made me think!

Any suggestions on something better/more grip offroad? I do ride it on the road but nothing major, into work or out to the dirt.

Cheers guys, check out WCS website.

http://www.westcoastsafaris.com.au/
Old 01-22-2009, 06:33 PM   #93
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie ron
Hey guys,

How is ya all? I am going on a big ride in a couple of weeks with the guys down at West Coast Trailbike Safari's and I am thinking about my current tyres? I am reasonably happy with the Karoo's but I have come off a few times on the dirt. This probably has as much to do with my ability as anything else but it has made me think!

Any suggestions on something better/more grip offroad? I do ride it on the road but nothing major, into work or out to the dirt.

Cheers guys, check out WCS website.

Hey simon, I reckon the Karoos are a pretty good tyre for the 610 but they wear real quick if you are heavy handed. Once the rear is at about 50% there is bugger all grip left. I run Motoz Tractionator Enduros on mine, lots a grip with the huge tread and last for ages. Bit squirrely on the black stuff when brand new but settle down quick. Dunlop 606's are a good tyre as well if you are only doing minimal road riding (they wear quicker than Motoz but are street legal) good hookup and feel. I run them on my WR450 and am very happy with them.
BTW if you are down doing a w.c.s. ride you should swing down my way for a beer mate!
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #94
ronnie ron
n00b is fine

Cheers Justin,

I'll have to go and check them out. I will try and drop in, we're staying in Donnybrook. I've never been down that way so it should be interesting.

Are you in Yals?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 AM   #95
FatBoyCrash
Buckle up SpankY!!

Oddometer: 1,124
Yeah, I'll second the Motoz Tractionator.. I'd push towards the standard tractionator and not the enduro 'though.... After seeing how well the standard tractionator held up last weekend on my mates 950 Kato...

From the weekend.. Crikey I'm starting to like this bike..

Later...

Old 01-30-2009, 04:13 AM   #96
niknteen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cautiousbob
I have noticed that around 100km/h i get a bit of a wobble through the handlebars. At first I thought it was just getting flung about a bit by wind (on the putty rd) but it happens all the time. anything from about 98 and up causes a wobble. I haven't been game to go past 110 to see if it goes away.

Has anyone else had this? btw - my bike is an '08 with the stock karoo tyres. the've seen about 1500km (mostly street)
I'd check the sag is right. My bike came with the rear wound up solid as bricks. This throws the rake out and can cause lil' slaps.
niknteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:39 AM   #97
niknteen
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk
I have about 2500kms on mine, first service was a couple hundred bucks I think; but I know they had a pretty good look over it......I guess changing the oil and airfilter should not cost that much?? But they did do the performance tune up for my new Uptite exhaust at the time.

I had noticed black sticky stuff around the top of the head when I cleaned it, not sure at this stage if it is just some muck/dust stuck to some CRC-type spray; or whether I have a leaky head gasket.

It is just too hot at the moment to go and take off the fuel tank etc and have a good look. If there is any problem, I know two dealers who will fix it up on the warranty with minimal aggravation.....one plus of the big warranty I guess.

Would like to ride it more, but just too hot at the moment. Am planning a ride from Gympie to Cunnamulla & return in Autumn next year, so that should put about 3000kms extra on it, when I get around to organising a couple of mates and a route.

Everything I have read on the US forums indicates that the TE610 is very reliable and valves do not need much / any attention.

The service intervals are 5000kms, that should be an indication. (but I will change the oil at 2500kms; because oil is cheaper than a breakdown)

On trail and road riding, you would have to try hard to go over half throttle. I'll never wear the motor out, I'm sure. Plenty of power and wide gearing.

I hope that with oil changes, clean air filter and casual riding, I'll see 50,000 kms. At my ride rate that is over 10 years away - time to think of a F800GS or comparable then.

Addendum: As to the above comments about the front suspension, I'd have to agree and am hoping a visit to a suspension tuner might improve things. Just not great over that fast corrugations or rocky roads. Good on the big hard stuff though.

G'day to Blakduk...mate on the oil changes, I do mine every 1000 k's and filter at 2000k's. I find the gear box gets tight if i run it longer?Perhaps it's in my head.. I might be the 610 owner in M'boro your thinking of, though I know of one other as well, his with a Barrett pipe. I've just hit the 4000k's mark. have chewed up 2 rears and am eatig up the third at a rapid rate as well. If htere's one thing i can say about these bikes," man it's hard to back off". Now I've found out my password etc, i may become a regular contributer to the site. to all Nick.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:42 AM   #98
niknteen
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBoyCrash
Yeah, I'll second the Motoz Tractionator.. I'd push towards the standard tractionator and not the enduro 'though.... After seeing how well the standard tractionator held up last weekend on my mates 950 Kato...

From the weekend.. Crikey I'm starting to like this bike..

Later...

Hey fatboycrash.your axle is in wrong way round bloke... That handle is meant to be on other side of bike...it stops it from spinning if your axle nut loosens out the bush. Well, thats what i think its there for, apart from helping to get the damn thing out.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #99
big jas
which way is up again

Oddometer: 26
610 lover

Hi guys im only new to the site ive got a 610 barrett pipe big tank etc.I cannot say a bad thing about the bike it does everything so well,if anyone is in the brisbane gold coast genearl area lets get together for a ride.
big jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #100
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,129
Anyone out there got an IMS big tank they want to sell for a 07 model?? huh??? Maybe a aftermarket pipe??
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #101
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

A meaningless post to keep this thread alive.......

no, i haven't taken off the fuel tank yet to check the greasy head.
no, i haven't taken the bike to get the front suspension fixed.
no, i haven't even done any decent rides
I have still on the completely bald original rear tyre because I have been lighting it up on my shed's new concrete floor (did you know that a burnout on cement can actually CHIP the cement away - ooops.)

Don't know if I've posted this before, but I also have a bit of a speed wobble problem at 100 - 115 km/h. Either soften the rear sag, sit well back, speed up, or slow down!!

In any human interaction where money is moving from you to another; NEVER trust ANYTHING you are told.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:21 AM   #102
cautiousbob
struggling along

Oddometer: 417
I'm all for keeping this thread alive...so here's my not much to report.

- I have recently changed the tyres from the stock karoo's to dunlop 606. The wheels are now balanced but I have only had one ride to work since getting the new rubber and didn't get past 100 (i only have 1 pt on my licence) it seemed at that speed.

- Spent a couple of hours poking around it in the garage yesterday. My airbox is rooted, in that two of the bolts can't come out because the silly retaining nut is spinning inside the box. is there a fix for this??? my bike is still under warranty...

- Hit the donk with some degreaser, but you really need a toothbrush to get that thing properly clean. i'm not that into cleanliness.
cautiousbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #103
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

I am going to put the D606 on the rear (have one on the front already) and I have heard good reports about them. I'm going to ask the dealer to balance the wheels as well.

I haven't heard of the airbox problem, can't say I've had to change the filter much yet. I think you will find that Husky dealers are pretty good with the warranty - it is just the hassle getting the time to get the bike there!

Old 02-16-2009, 04:41 PM   #104
ronnie ron
n00b is fine

Hey Bob,
My airbox is doing that too! Only one nut is rooted on mine so i can still get the filter out but it is annoying. Let me know how your 606 goes, I hear they are really good on dirt and I would be interested in seeing how they go on the road.

Had a f**king awesome ride recently. Did a one day tour down south with a really good company;

The bike was excellent, we were doing some pretty tight riding. It was more suited to a smaller trail bile but I had a ball and the bike held up very well. The tyres felt quite loose on the gravel but still kept me upright, most of the time!

I'm really happy with the beast and love riding it as hard as my very limited skills allow.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #105
niknteen
Adventurer

RE - Airbox

Mine suffered that from NEW! I didnt worry about the warranty thng because,IMHO it's an Engineering disaster, waiting to re occur. Instead i had one fabricated out of Alloy. re routed the oil reburn hose to a filter and Zipped it up under the seat rails. Had the angle at the back of the changed too so as to scavange air form a larger area. Doesnt look as neat as the orig. but works 100% better, in that the edges seal, no feet to fall off the inside of the box. and result in a loose fitting filter.
Tyres, I have a 952 dunlop on the front, works real well compared to the deadly Karroo.( 2nd tyre at front). I'm Abusing a Motoz Tractionator at present, works real good in sadny or real Rocky terrain. I think the 952 rear was awesome too. 4500 k's and 3 tyres on the back. The best milage has been from the 952. Will be trying something else after the Motoz is done ( wont be long, has 450 ish K's on it, nearly dead) thinking of using a Metz.Safari next up on the rear?? maybe.