User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
jthurber80 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
F800 Reliability

Within a gnat's behind of purchasing a BMW F800S. I'm wondering about owner reliability. Initial reports indicate a great bike but sometimes what starts fine ends poorly.

Have any new owners experienced any problems with their F800 series? The bikes have been on sale in Europe / Britain for much longer than this country so any inputs from overseas would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks much and please, don't call my banker!
jthurber80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #2
Foxy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Bird I know has got one, and likes the ride, but has had a few problems. Hers in quite an early one, but it's still been back in a few times to try and sort a gearbox problem. And once more because of a random cutting out problem at low revs, typically when trying to manoeuvre the bike at low speeds. Other than that seems quite well put together, but with faults like those I'd be glad of a warranty and another means of getting about to depend upon for transport.
Foxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
farmer fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy
Bird I know has got one, and likes the ride, but has had a few problems. Hers in quite an early one, but it's still been back in a few times to try and sort a gearbox problem. And once more because of a random cutting out problem at low revs, typically when trying to manoeuvre the bike at low speeds. Other than that seems quite well put together, but with faults like those I'd be glad of a warranty and another means of getting about to depend upon for transport.
We rented them in Japan, an S and an ST. They made some funny transmission noises, and my ST would shut off at low speeds after running for a long time, but then after a restart would do fine again, as if the computer had been re-set. My ST vibrated a couple of fairing bolts loose. My bike's rotors were warped at 8,000km.

I have heard of cylinder head and head gasket problems, but not first-hand.

farmer fred screwed with this post 12-13-2007 at 08:26 PM
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,228
San Jose BMW has found the F800's to be absolutely bullet proof.

This F800 has spent several thousand miles playing Go Fast in the Calif mountains, ran a 4 hour at Infineon, and then with a San Jose Chain Drive conversion ran the 8 hour Moto ST at Daytona plus dozens of practice days, would you belive it, the bike now has all its street gear reinstalled asd is part of the San Jose BMW rental fleet. The engine and tranny have never been apart. The bike runs perfect and you can not tell the engine and tranny from a new one by riding it.

www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

I would suggest that you talk to San Jose BMW about F800's.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Thinman
Cornfield inspector

Oddometer: 43
With 9,000 miles on the F800ST, the only trips to the dealer have been for regular service and oil changes. Yes, there's an occasional false neutral and I've had it cut out once or twice, but nothing that would prevent me from buying another one. That drivetrain is smoooooth!
Thinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #7
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW
I would suggest that you talk to San Jose BMW about F800's.
Not to sound like an ass, but if you ask a BMW dealer if their bikes are reliable, what do you think they are going to say?

Not to single out BMW. If you ask any dealer about their brands, does anyone think they are going to hear " yeah, great bike, but its got a crunchy gearbox, but it will be under warranty, so what are you worried about?"

I asked the local Kawasaki shop about the KLR650 doohicky, and he looked at me as if I spoke to him in Bengalese.

Just sayin'

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
XPatriot
Charges have been dropped

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deans BMW
San Jose BMW has found the F800's to be absolutely bullet proof.

This F800 has spent several thousand miles playing Go Fast in the Calif mountains, ran a 4 hour at Infineon, and then with a San Jose Chain Drive conversion ran the 8 hour Moto ST at Daytona plus dozens of practice days, would you belive it, the bike now has all its street gear reinstalled asd is part of the San Jose BMW rental fleet. The engine and tranny have never been apart. The bike runs perfect and you can not tell the engine and tranny from a new one by riding it.

I can't believe they'd run a bike in endurance races, practice days etc. and not take it apart in some fashion to race prep it.

Really?

There comes a time when the jewels cease to sparkle, the gold loses it's luster, and the throne room becomes a prison. And all that is left is a father's love for his child.
XPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
giblets
Membrana Profunda

Oddometer: 134
OP: beware in your quest for wording like "the most totally turbo solid as the rock of gibraltar bike on the planet," which, as exaggerated as my example is, is in a slightly toned-down version often what you get (emotional rhetoric, that is) when people refer to the premium brands of motorcycles. (e.g., make sure you've got your flame-retardant thong on before you criticize a guzzi online.) anywho, i'd be more apt to believe moderate language, which often reflects the reality of the situation better.*

*from one european moto press source: "The BMW F800S is a well put together motorcycle and accommodating loads of well thought out little extras, the motorcycle is built (not just marketed) to really last...."
Old 12-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #10
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Suggest you hang out over on the F800 Riders Forum. 65 pages of gripes and glee on the F800S/ST.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 05:06 PM   #11
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

BTW, I am not a BMW dealer.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Old 12-13-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthurber80
Within a gnat's behind of purchasing a BMW F800S. I'm wondering about owner reliability. Initial reports indicate a great bike but sometimes what starts fine ends poorly.

Have any new owners experienced any problems with their F800 series? The bikes have been on sale in Europe / Britain for much longer than this country so any inputs from overseas would be MOST appreciated.

Thanks much and please, don't call my banker!
I've put over three thousand miles on mine and not a problem. Like most Beemers the engine feels like its just begining to loosen up. Its a great bike

and mines FOR SALE! PM me if you're interested . . .

By the way, the first batch of Europe bikes had some problems that were corrected by the time the U.S. got their allocation. The bike is bullet proof (even more so than the Boxers imho).
JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:59 AM   #13
glynb
Relentless Underachiever

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMo
I've put over three thousand miles on mine and not a problem. Like most Beemers the engine feels like its just begining to loosen up. Its a great bike

and mines FOR SALE! PM me if you're interested . . .

By the way, the first batch of Europe bikes had some problems that were corrected by the time the U.S. got their allocation. The bike is bullet proof (even more so than the Boxers imho).
Why are you selling?

"Pour yourself some backbone, and shaddup!"
Movie- Colt .45
glynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 06:48 AM   #14
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,672
Exactly what I was thinking.

"Yessir.... these bikes here are not only bulletproof but nuke-proof, can go anywhere, never need gas or oil, and are a bargain at MSRP.
And all those so-called "honest owner" reviews you're getting? Well those are just internet rumours.... not a word of truth to any of it. The only problems these bikes ever have are all owner-inflicted..... the owner's own fault"

Quote:
Originally Posted by motonomus
Not to sound like an ass, but if you ask a BMW dealer if their bikes are reliable, what do you think they are going to say?

Not to single out BMW. If you ask any dealer about their brands, does anyone think they are going to hear " yeah, great bike, but its got a crunchy gearbox, but it will be under warranty, so what are you worried about?"

I asked the local Kawasaki shop about the KLR650 doohicky, and he looked at me as if I spoke to him in Bengalese.

Just sayin'
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #15
JNRobert
Breaking Wind

Oddometer: 9,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by glynb
Why are you selling?

JNRobert is offline   Reply With Quote