Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #31
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasRizzo
Thanks!! I was looking all over for the co that Aerostich buys from....not anywhere on the packaging I got.

I haven't found any other North American distributors, though.

I'd be all over these things if they weren't a buck a piece.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #32
Tom Myers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
They cost a buck each because each screw has a carbide spike brazed into it.

When Best-Grip (or someone else) develops a way to do it without the welding the price will go down, but currently I am a little surprised that a welded part can be offered to the end user at $1 each.

Tom
Tom Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #33
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Myers
Adventure riders Sjaak and Doris are using the Best Grip studs on an "ICE ride". They are on the road NOW (Feb 28, 2009), and should be almost to Prudhoe Bay.

When they were at our shop preparing, we worked out a way to install the studs manually (with a simple compact tool that Sjaak and Doris will carry). You will see how easily the studs are inserted! Sjaak was already carrying the golf ball, so it is part of his tool kit. Don't ask.
Nice custom tool Tom!

These "sport nails" look pretty good and it they hold up as well as I've been reading, especially if you also glue them in, might be worth the price. I keep wavering between the expensive stud gun and cheaper stud prices or the more expensive hand-install studs, which when you think about it, you could repair in the remote outback where you could not do that with a traditional air tool installed studs.

Clif
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #34
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,460
Quote:
They cost a buck each because each screw has a carbide spike brazed into it.

When Best-Grip (or someone else) develops a way to do it without the welding the price will go down, but currently I am a little surprised that a welded part can be offered to the end user at $1 each.

Tom

How do they make traditional studs, which cost pennies a piece?

I'm in the same boat as Cyborg. Trade off between high initial price w/traditional studs, vs high per-tire cost with screw ins.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:28 PM   #35
Tom Myers
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
How do they make traditional studs, which cost pennies a piece?
They probably make them by the "millions".......using a big machine that is not feasible or available by the specialty aftermarket. If a market emerges for dirtbike studs by ( other people actually buying them) thus showing a demand, the 'laws' suggest someone will figure out how to do it cheaper.

A front tire has about 220 knobs. A rear has about 150. Even doing half the knobs is a fairly expensive proposition ~$200

As cool as these are, I bet the demand goes up and the price comes down over the next few winters.

Tom
Tom Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #36
ThomasRizzo
anonymous

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
...As cool as these are, I bet the demand goes up and the price comes down over the next few winters. Tom
Yes! Tell your friends!

Anyone here understand French? What were they saying when they showed the shot of a Piaggio MP3? I'd guess something to do with not needing 3 wheels if you buy their fancy studs.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #37
ThomasRizzo
anonymous

Oddometer: 323
Hey, just found another US distributor: Best Grip USA
Looks like the same prices as aerostich, but they have more flavors. The ones for footwear are adorable.

Edit: wait... they are aerostich...
Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #38
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasRizzo
Yes! Tell your friends!

Anyone here understand French? What were they saying when they showed the shot of a Piaggio MP3? I'd guess something to do with not needing 3 wheels if you buy their fancy studs.
Fun video!

Well, considering that studding up a set of tires properly with these Best-Grip "sport nails" can easily run over $300 for one set of tires, the Bruno Wessel stud gun + cheap studs doesn't seem like too bad of an option, especially if spread across a few friends for the tooling. An ADVrider group in the Colorado area did just that. If cost were no object the Best-Grips would be a great way to go too. Both the Best-Grip and Bruno Wessel studs come in many flavors. So, plenty of options, now to just DO it! I have a set of D606's in the garage just begging... the Kenda Trackmaster also looks like a good option, and less expensive, since they'll be sitting around in the gareg most of the time, keeping my sand paddle tires company

Our snow and ice are about done for the season in the Seattle area so I can take my time getting to this project.. but I'll be ready next year!
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:31 PM   #39
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg
An ADVrider group in the Colorado area did just that. If cost were no object the Best-Grips would be a great way to go too. Both the Best-Grip and Bruno Wessel studs come in many flavors. So, plenty of options, now to just DO it! I have a set of D606's in the garage just begging... the Kenda Trackmaster also looks like a good option, and less expensive, since they'll be sitting around in the gareg most of the time, keeping my sand paddle tires company
A few us up here have gotten together for some "stud" parties too.

I'm in the 3rd winter with my studded Kenda Trackmasters and NO thrown studs.

They work GREAT on snow and ice AND dry highway pavement. The front has always held and the rear kicks out very predictably. And oh yeah, LOTS of rear tire spin for fun!

Having a good time in the far and frozen north, Mark H.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:24 PM   #40
unL33T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Bringing this thread back...

Can anyone recommend a set of tires I could install these on that will fit my bike?

It takes a 120/70ZR17M/C (58W) front and a 160/60ZR17M/C (69W) rear. Don't ask what bike or I'm sure some of you will think I'm not all there.

I was considering putting Pirelli MT 60 Corsa's on it since they are sold in the sizes I need but they may not be aggressive enough for snow and I'm not sure if I can put studs on them. Maybe I'll use those when spring comes again.
unL33T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #41
redveloce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by unL33T
Don't ask what bike or I'm sure some of you will think I'm not all there.
We're all crazy here. It's a Desmosedici RR right? Seriously though, the bike can make a huge difference with fender clearance, etc. You need quite a lot of meat for the studs to seat in, otherwise they'd go right through the casing of the tire.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #42
unL33T
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveloce
We're all crazy here. It's a Desmosedici RR right? Seriously though, the bike can make a huge difference with fender clearance, etc. You need quite a lot of meat for the studs to seat in, otherwise they'd go right through the casing of the tire.
2009 Ninja 650R / ER-6F
Old 10-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #43
redveloce
Gnarly Adventurer

Clearance is going to be your biggest challenge. You pretty much need knobbies in order to have enough meat to run the studs into. You may need to remove your front fender, and will want to take a close look at clearance between the rear tire and the swing arm. I think Continental may make TKC 80s in those sizes, but I'm not sure.

Be sure to post pics if you do it. Riding in snow is a blast. My bike didn't seem to have any less traction on snow and ice than it did on wet pavement. Watch out for concrete though!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #44
unL33T
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveloce
Clearance is going to be your biggest challenge. You pretty much need knobbies in order to have enough meat to run the studs into. You may need to remove your front fender, and will want to take a close look at clearance between the rear tire and the swing arm. I think Continental may make TKC 80s in those sizes, but I'm not sure.

Be sure to post pics if you do it. Riding in snow is a blast. My bike didn't seem to have any less traction on snow and ice than it did on wet pavement. Watch out for concrete though!
I guess I'll probably have to pull the rear hugger as well. Not a huge deal. I already planned on doing something different with the fender to prevent the front wheel from tossing too much crap onto the headers and radiator. I need to come up with a way to cover up the tires a bit too since studded tires are technically illegal here (but rarely enforced and minor penalty).

Ironically (to me anyway), while I am willing to risk trying to ride a motorcycle in the winter on snow and ice, I am very hesitant to try to drive my old RWD, no-ABS, no locking diff (I think) Porsche 944 I picked up in May in the winter.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #45
redveloce
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unL33T
I need to come up with a way to cover up the tires a bit too since studded tires are technically illegal here (but rarely enforced and minor penalty).
I imagine they'd look at a motorcycle in the snow pretty closely.