User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2007, 09:14 PM   #1
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,123
stator re-winding

Has anyone of you ever re-wound your own stator/magneto coil? or know of somebody who has?

If so do you have any advice or instruction to go by? Or where might I find more info on that subject?

Also does anybody know of anyone that still does that sort of thing?
(or has that art gone the way of all other disposable chinese electronics?)

It seems like a simpe thing to do....but I'm not sure if there are any special tricks invovled...or just what may make a coil weaker or stronger.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
KevinMTB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Depending on your bike, I'm pretty sure that BajaDesigns can rewind your stator. If you search ThumperTalk you can find more info regarding people rewinding their own. Seems to be straight forward. Good luck.
KevinMTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
I saw sometime in the last year a post detailing how to rewind a stator. Think it was on a KLR website, don't remember which one. Addressed making beefier, etc. Search. If I come across the link I'll post back.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:56 AM   #4
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,933
Check around locally for either an older established auto electric shop, or electric motor shop. They may be able to do it or give you some basics on how to calculate the number of windings and wire guage that you need for a specific output (by comparison to original windings and output).

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:24 AM   #5
DaveF-
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
See this writeup.

Several proven stator re-winders are listed near the end.
DaveF- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 07:04 AM   #6
Donkey_Kong
Banned

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo
Has anyone of you ever re-wound your own stator/magneto coil? or know of somebody who has?
Worked around motor rewind shop in the Navy. I also have a friend that makes transformers but most of them weigh tons. They build some of them on Rail Road flat cars so they can be shipped, the tracks go into their building. A motor rewind shop can do a stator because it's about the same thing.

You can do most of it if you're good with wire but you may find it frustrating. If the old one is in good enough shape so you can count the number of turns and measure the wire that's where you start. You have to find out if you have a delta, a Y or single phase winding.

You then need to source that size of wire that's varnish covered. You then need to source some fiber glass or glass reinforced mylar tape. Not impossible to find but not easy either.

You then clean all the old stuff off the iron cores. Then you put the insulating material on, wind on the wire as tight as possible without damaging the insulation. Then connect the coils. This is the easy part.

After you wind up the stator you need to dip it in a varnish insulating material. After that it needs to air dry and drip for a bit. Then it has to be baked to finish the set on the varnish. This is the part that will give you the most trouble without experience.

After all of this it would be cheaper to get a new one or find someone to do it for you that does it every day and has all the stuff on hand.
Donkey_Kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskOx
See this writeup.

Several proven stator re-winders are listed near the end.

I copied the list and thought I'd post it up here too....Thanks.

Stator Rewinding
If and when the need arises in the future to have a stator replaced, my plans are to have a Honda stator rewound by a competent and reputable company specializing in rewinding stators. Several such sources are listed below.
Custom Rewind
Custom Rewind in Birmingham, Alabama has earned an excellent reputation among CX/GL owners for their high quality work in rewinding stators. I've heard nothing but praise for their work.
Their website appears to be new but they have been in business for quite a while. The preferred method of communication with them is by phone at 205-798-7282 or toll free at 800-798-7282.
Their mailing address is:

Custom Rewind
2014 Pratt Highway
Birmingham, AL 35214
West Country Windings
West Country Windings is another company that has earned the praise of many customers for their excellent quality rewinds. Many UK CX/GL owners have used their rewound stators with absolutely no problems.
They can be reached at West Country Windings, 79 City Business Park, Somerset Place, Stoke, Plymouth, Devon PL3 4BB UK. Telephone 01752 560906.
Rick's Motorsport Electrics
Rick's Motorsport Electrics is another source for quality rewinds.
Rick's rewound a stator for another bike I've been working on. The work appears to be of high quality as can be seen in the photos below. Unfortunately the bike has not had enough miles put on it yet to make any kind of reliability assessment/endorsement, but I very much like what I've seen.

Old 12-16-2007, 11:04 AM   #8
VStromTom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
I looked but couldn't find the specific link I have seen before, but I will keep looking. I did run a search for "how to rewind a Stator" and a lot of links came up, a couple of which looked pretty detailed. Hope this helps.
VStromTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #9
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

BAD IGNITION WINDING ONLY...others test OK

OK,
I took the cover off and re-tested next to the coil and checked the wiring. Ignition stator still shows no continuity. Wiring harness tests OK.

This article http://www.justxr.com/jaw/stator.html on rewinding the ignition stator makes it look easy and the DR has a single pole for the ignition just like the XR.

So......I'm now at the point of no return......

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO MAKE SUGGESTIONS

My first view of the stator shows that it looks physically OK and that the ignition is on a single pole. (the big one)

After removing it (good luck) I scratched the insulation next to the coil to retest it and the harness wires.

The problem may have been where the wires connect to the coil as they both came loose while unwrapping. I could NOT find the ends of the coil to retest again or reconnect.

So this is where the decision is made no turning back now!

there was something wrapped around the pole.....what do you think I should rewrap/coat it with?

Unfortunately I managed to break off the lower guide tab on one side.....I may have to reattach it at least temporarily to help me rewind it.

ONCE AGAIN PLEASE FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND OFFER ADVISE AS THIS IS MY FIRST TRY!!

knybanjo screwed with this post 12-19-2007 at 08:46 PM
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
You need to provide some protection to the wires where they wrap around the coners of the central pole..
Plumbers teflon tape should do ...

On the wire .. measure the diameter - and get the 'wire guage' from that

Then measure the lengths of what you took off .. you'll need a bit more than that (wasteage) .. I'd not bother counting the turns .. the lenght will give about the same number (and I usually loose count anyway) if you wind in a style similar to the original .. was it 'neat' (1st one row then another or all over the place?) Do the same style of winding ... most small wire is 'untidy' where as larger stuff is 'neat'.

When you get to the top .. be carfull and put some tubing over the ends .. then glue it in place.. the starting end should also get a bit of tubing .. helps with the insulation .. and stress relief on the end. You should be able to reuse the original tuding.

Price one from a wrecker, and having it rewound.. just in case.

Try not to break off any more bits, ok?

Hummm .. it could be 'polorised' .. making what end gose where and the direction of the wind important .. (clockwise or andticlockwise) ...

Let us know how you get on.

The tape over the top is just protection .. and to stop it coming undone. You could seal it with aralidite .. provided it withstands the heat and oil.
edit for spelling, and a bit more info

Frank Warner screwed with this post 12-17-2007 at 02:46 PM
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 08:43 PM   #11
valvecrusher
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,683

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
Cosmic_Jumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Stator re-winding DIY

This link from Instructables.Com might help: http://www.instructables.com/id/Rebu...ensive-stator/
Cosmic_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #13
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,484
http://trailtech.net/media/electrica...conversion.pdf
http://www.trailtech.net/media/instr...stallation.pdf

Both are KTM specific, but TrailTech also has an exchange service for stator upgrades.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:31 PM   #14
knybanjo OP
kinda slow

Thanks All!! for the info, tips and links....keep 'em coming!

I've been assembling the parts needed and may have a present from "Brown Santa" tomorrow.

So far I've patched the places where I took off a bit of insulator to test at the coil. I 1st dabbed a bit of this liquid electrical tape over the exposed wire then after that dried it was covered with shrink tubing.

I decided to go with Devcon 2 ton epoxy as another article said it was easy to find.(this is what the coil gets coated with after it's finished)

I however, could NOT find anybody that had any in stock....but Motion was very helpfull in getting me some overnight! They even waived the shipping fees! total cost $5.43....when I stopped by to pick it up I saw they had a sign that said $25 minimum counter sale....but they made NO mention of it!

I decided to re-coat the iron pole with a thin coat of this epoxy as well as use it to re-attach the broken bit.

I hope to have the wire tomorrow...btw...it turned out to be a hair thin 34g. so I might know by this weekend if this little project will be a success.

knybanjo screwed with this post 12-19-2007 at 09:44 PM
knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,380
XR650R
http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/brpstatr.asp