ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you had any of these failures with your BMW Oilhead or Hexhead??
Spline Failure 8 2.12%
Final Drive Failure 99 26.19%
Other Major Failure 14 3.70%
No Major Failures 257 67.99%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #46
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
You know, unfortunately, these BMW final drive failures are becoming what the BMW brand is know for. I increasingly encounter non-BMW riders who know little about the bikes but they have heard about the final drive issues.

My local Honda dealer who is not hostile about BMW's asked me about the issue last week. He had picked up on it from customers in the showroom.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #47
tmgs
...Trailers are for Boats

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider1964
If failure rate is only 4% that is to be expected. Most manf have defects along the way. If it had a 50% failure I would be a bit more concerned...only 15,000 miles on mine so we shall see A 4% failure would not dissuade me from the purchase of another BMW.
4%? Me either.......

I do know many people that have had FD failures, 4% my arse.......
tmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 06:13 AM   #48
tmgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Efficiency
I may, or may not have a different outlook. I have purchased 2 BMW modern bikes. AN R1150R ROckster and a 2008 GS. I have done everything I was supposed to do to the bikes and haven't had a problem with either.

My dealer is very supportive of me and gets a premium dollar for their product.

Unlike others, I believe there is a final drive issue BUT I really think what frustrates people is BMW's unwillingness to capitulate and fix every final drive ever.

Also, I read a lot about these but I am very close to my shop (they let me in back, we hang out, we drink coffee, I borrow tools close.) The only final drive failure I ever saw first hand was on a GSA (1150.) The rider had to be 400 pounds and the bike loaded down like an ADV video of some type.
oh crap now it;s because of a 400 lb rider and the bike was loaded, so what if it had a 230 lb drive and a 150 passenger and loaded for two?

how about BMW fixing the issue period!, this has now become an issue on yet a whole new final drive! (I personally lost a FD on my K1200LT at 54k miles, BMW did not pay for that one, and one on my wifes GS at 35k miles which BMW did pay for,
BMW just needs to solve the issue period! they need a new design, one that lasts, I know I know you have the one dealer that has had only one final drive failure, but I could list at least 10 names I know of that have had failures, and several that switched brands because of multiple FD failures on the same bike! at least one was a member here

there IS a serious issue out there, bmw listen and fix your bikes unless you care to loose more and more serious motorcyclists that spend a ton of money on their bikes. Personally we have only bought 5 brand new bikes, and 9 or 10 used bikes since late 2000, 4 of those were brand new BMW's

Quote:
SInce then, I have heard from a close friend of another. I trust the guy, the bike was an 04 with 60k miles.

WHACK

I think, overall the quality of the bikes is very good and I think its a bit of a stretch to call a factory where they ride every bike before it leaves a low quality inspection fault zone.

In all honesty, its a machine and things break. If they break and they don't fix it, I'd drop a dime on them and make them suffer. In my experiences, I just haven't seen it.
I am sick and tired of hearing this crap, "it's a machine and things break", yes that is true, anything "can" break, but over and over again? and now onto a whole new design...... I have been a Tech since '79, bmw's FD issues are the worst case to a reoccurring issue that was not solved I have seen..........

you think there isn't a issue because your dealer hasn't seen but one, start digging and checking into it

no sarcasm intended, I'm just someone who loves to ride distances and does not want to get stranded by some reoccurring issue that could had been resolved in the last what 8-9 model years! -

ok ok, I will say, I do not know of one person that has had an '09 FD failure, nor have I heard of one, that was sarcasm

really though come freakin on BMW you were one of the best bikes made and one of the most expensive FIX your FD's!~
Old 08-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #49
007brian
shaken not stirred

Oddometer: 543
my 05r1200gs has 44,000 miles and no final drive failure
007brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #50
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer: 6,081
I spoke to one of the service techs at my dealer that I have become friendly with and he admitted that they have had 2 08s in with final drive issues. Both had over 20,000 miles. He said that is down considerably from previous model years.
TEXAS-ROLL THE BONES RALLY 5 10/24-10/26/2014: THE BEST IS YET TO COME!
http://www.rollthebonesrally.com/
ghostrider1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #51
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

007brian, don't jinx yourself
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #52
CopperGreen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
They are fixing them.
They're transitioning to chain...
CopperGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 AM   #53
COBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Well BMW has refused to offer any goodwill toward the repair of my failed FD. My arguemnt about failure at 21,xxx miles should not be acceptable to them or me fell on deaf ears. I'll be sucking up $2,200.00 to replace it. I understand things break and I will continue to be a BMW rider, as I have been since 1972. However, I think this thread should be kept near the top as an advisement to current and future BMW riders
COBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #54
tmgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperGreen
They are fixing them.
They're transitioning to chain...
there went my coffee!
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #55
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,236
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBob
Well BMW has refused to offer any goodwill toward the repair of my failed FD. My arguemnt about failure at 21,xxx miles should not be acceptable to them or me fell on deaf ears. I'll be sucking up $2,200.00 to replace it. I understand things break and I will continue to be a BMW rider, as I have been since 1972. However, I think this thread should be kept near the top as an advisement to current and future BMW riders
I'm torn on this one. While I agree a FD failure should not be something we'd expect from any bike...I wonder what the numbers really look like? I'd love to see the failure rate globally.

On the other hand....I've never read about a failure on a shaft drive Honda or other bike....got a friend who has been a Honda tech for 19 years and he said the same thing...he can't remember ever fixing one. So...if Honda can build a FD that works and every rear wheel drive car (including BMW) has one that seems to be able to stay together for hundreds of thousands of miles, then why should we see more than a handful over many years on this bike? I think there is more to the story than BMW engineering would like to have to explain. Hence, they're fixing some well outside of warranty parameters. How is that decision made?

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #56
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by COBob
Well BMW has refused to offer any goodwill toward the repair of my failed FD....
That's a bit unusual. I wonder what circumstances they considered, as they have been VERY generous with out-of-warranty coverage on these.

What exactly went wrong with yours?
Old 08-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #57
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff
On the other hand....I've never read about a failure on a shaft drive Honda or other bike....got a friend who has been a Honda tech for 19 years and he said the same thing...he can't remember ever fixing one. So...if Honda can build a FD that works and every rear wheel drive car (including BMW) has one that seems to be able to stay together for hundreds of thousands of miles,?
Single swing arm?
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #58
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

I beg to differ!!! I broke 2 drive shafts on Honda V65 Magna!!! friend had one break on V45 Sabre. Was talking with a Kawi Concourse rider and he was telling me of FD failures in those too! so not just a BMW thing...That said, how many time do we change chains and sprockets on bikes or U joints on driveshafts!!! All things require maintenance. Had a friend with a Strom that broke a chain and it broke the whole engine housing!!! Talk about catastrophic!!! Dealer told him $5000!!!! I can buy a couple of final drives for that
Old 08-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #59
COBob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Anton... I don't have any more info than what the dealer told me i.e. the final drive assembly failed. My rear wheel had considerable side to side play with no fluid leakage. I will get the full story next week.
COBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #60
ghostrider1964
Edumacated Red Neck

Bob my dealer called back and said regional rep said no to 2005 being covered...sorry...