ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Have you had any of these failures with your BMW Oilhead or Hexhead??
Spline Failure 8 2.10%
Final Drive Failure 101 26.51%
Other Major Failure 15 3.94%
No Major Failures 257 67.45%
Voters: 381. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #91
kootenay kid
Lets Ride

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdoege
I just lost mine on Hwy 129.

After 78k miles I am not too pissy about it.

Pics of the bike on a trailer coming down the mountain: http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/orde...07040032&po=32

Did a run up and down the Dragon, took a break for lunch, came back out, and the final drive had leaked all over the rear wheel. I could feel the balls "chunking" when I turned the wheel and figured that the cage had failed. An old timer at Deal's Gap said, "fill it up and ride it down the mountain". I demurred and had an AAA wrecker tow me out.

The local dealer, Destination Motorsports, had a new seal, but did not have the bearings.

I put the bike in a U-Haul trailer and some friends drove the bike and I back to Orlando.

The dealer here has the parts and work starts tomorrow....

Peter

I would like to know what your final cost is to repair and exactly what they repaired. If you dont mind that is.
kootenay kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #92
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss

Oddometer: 460
Ya see, I believed there is a problem, didn't overreact... and it shows up. Goop is leaking down the front of my final drive as we speak. I rode it back from Michigan and... goop. Anyway, I'm dropping the bike off Saturday and they're fixin it... my loaner will be ready.

I just don't get the hoopla. It is imperfect, some of them leak. I take it in and they fix it for free. It appears to me that BMW addresses the problem just fine.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:07 PM   #93
Mr.Efficiency
Adventure Wuss

Oddometer: 460
Well, never mind. I was having an awful "final drive problem." My dealer had the seals replaced in a cup of coffee. False alarm.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:34 AM   #94
TREE
Interloper

Oddometer: 3,291
How long a warranty does the dealer give on replacement final drives that they install ?

Road Trips . . . Alaska, Himalayas, Labrador and Oz
TREE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:24 PM   #95
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,478
i've got an 07 gsa and aside from an external seal seeping, which they fixed for free, haven't had a single issue with it. 17,000 mi. btw. and i've ridden it pretty hard at times. went through martinez canyon, box canyon, coke ovens, battle ax, etc. well, within a few hunderd yards of the ovens.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #96
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 532
My rear main FD bearing is history, '02 GSA, 55,000 miles. Fortunately it wasn't a cataclysmic failure - no loss of lubricant but bearing feels as if it has "stones" instead of steel balls. I detected a strange vibration/hum toward the end of a recent trip and when I arrived home, checked the rear wheel and it had a noticeable roughness when spun by hand. Don't know how much longer it would have lasted if I hadn't detected the bearing failure. I'm running Anakees so my ride, on pavement at least, is relatively smooth, so I was able to "feel" the bearing start to go - similar to when a wheel bearing on your car begins to fail. Might have been a differnet story if I had had TKC's or something more aggressive. Key thing is, if you notice any strange "feel", vibration, hum, etc, check it out and you may prevent a complete failure and have to only replace the bearing.
arrcrussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 PM   #97
Bubba
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,600
I've got a spare final drive for sale if anyone is interested: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498071
Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #98
JZracecolor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I have a 2002 GSA with 36000 miles on it. Second owner. Purchased last may with 4500 on the clock. Yesterday my wife and I were coming home from Indianapolis (MotoGP) and while humming along I began to feel a rhythmic vibration but thought it was the road surface. I moved over into the fast lane and could hear a strange noise bouncing off the center divider wall. Bike started to feel like it had a flat tire so I pulled off.......
The oil was pouring out of the differential. We were 9 miles out from the next exit. So, I let whatever was going to drain out do so and then mounted up and limped along the emergency lane till we got to the exit (PA turnpike).
Called the cavalry (my daughter) and she mounted up the trailer to trek out and get us.
Pulled the drive last night and ......big bearing failure.

Was just going to get the parts and slap it together and then started reading Clymer..........Looks like I have a bit of a job ahead of me
JZracecolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #99
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 532
Pissed Huh?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Efficiency
I just don't get the hoopla. It is imperfect, some of them leak. I take it in and they fix it for free. It appears to me that BMW addresses the problem just fine.
I' wonder what your attitude would be when the efn thing fails in the 1st week of a 4 week trip to BFE that you've been planning for the last 2 yrs and your warranty has run out?
arrcrussell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #100
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 21,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrcrussell
I' wonder what your attitude would be when the efn thing fails in the 1st week of a 4 week trip to BFE that you've been planning for the last 2 yrs and your warranty has run out?
A lot of guys are in denial about that and the whole issue in general.
Gordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #101
Batboy
Ex-BMW Guy...

Oddometer: 83
Bought a 2002 BMW 1150 GS Adventure brand new in Sept. 02. Put almost 70,000 miles on it in 5 years. Had a rear diff seal go out when it was still under warranty. Was the only problem I had with it. But by the summer of 2007 many were having failures of the final drive. I was getting leery of taking it on trips anymore because I was worried mine would let go. Sold it that summer. Right now I have 9 personal friends who have had final drive failures on BMW's. Some were lucky and they broke close to town, others were hundreds of miles from a BMW dealer and spent lots of $$ getting it to service and lots more $$$ for the service. I rode BMW's for over 25 years. Don't own one now and will wait and see if that goofy factory can make a bike that's halfway reliable anymore and then stand behind it.
Plus, BMW dealers are getting few and far between anymore. I think there's less than 150 in the whole country now.
Batboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:21 PM   #102
Bartman
SnowDog

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartman
You can add another one to your list of failures. 2005 GS 17k almost exclusively road miles. Check the rear wheel play on a regular basis. Took a trip down to Durango last week, noticed much more slop than usual and ended up nursing it back home. Took to dealer on Saturday and the initial response was that BMW will likely not cover repairs due to it being out of warranty but the rep was going to take a look at it tomorrow. I'm crossing my fingers but expecting the worst after reading some of your experiences with BMW on the same issue. This experience will likely sour me on the brand going forward. Not to beat a dead horse, but this is bs given the cost of these things and the fact that it appears to be a very well known problem. I honestly may end up fixing it, selling it and buying an extra set of wheels for the ktm 950 adventure that I have pretty much pounded into submission but it keeps on ticking.....

There are three other 05 GS owners in the area who are anxiously awaiting the outcome of this as well. Should be interesting......

Bart

Here's an update if anyone actually still cares. According to the shop, it turns out not to be a final drive failure afterall. I didn't get the full details but it appears that there is an aluminum flange that mates into the final drive assembly from the rear wheel. The flange supposedly somehow got bent and produced symptoms much like a final drive failure. Would not really have made any difference out in the middle of nowhere because it ultimately would have been a catastrophic failure anyway. This also ruined the rear brake rotor as well as the brake pads. The dealer is going to see if BMW is going to cover any of it. We'll see but I'm not sure this makes me feel any more confident taking this thing too far from home.

Bart
Bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:26 PM   #103
jpooch00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy
A lot of guys are in denial about that and the whole issue in general.
My whole problem with this and all the other well known issues with these bikes is the crap-shoot aspect of buying/owning one. Many are essentially trouble free for years and many thousands of miles while a very significant number are the absolute opposite.

I just wonder if I will ever be totally at ease on long trips thinking about the (admittedly uncertain) possibility that it's gonna just quit any minute, fail to start again every time I turn it off, grenade the FD with very little warning, or much worse, no warning at all etc.

It just seems to me that with only about 1% market share in the US, Fritz & Hans, or whatever their names are, would be bustin' their asses and also the asses of every person who designs and/or assembles these bikes, to make every one of them as reliable, durable and trouble-free as is humanly possible. Hell, if Harley can do it, I'd think that anybody could.

I don't get it...
jpooch00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:43 PM   #104
Sox Fan
SoxFan

Oddometer: 858
2007 R1200RT. 22,000 miles. All good so far!
1989 911
Sox Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #105
NEVERLOST
Banned

Oddometer: 949
Question Class Action Lawsuit?

Just wondering when we will see an ad on TV from Dooey Cheatum and Howe?
NEVERLOST is offline   Reply With Quote