Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
TDL028 OP
man of leisure

Oddometer: 206
a better adjustable racing throttle

hello fellow airheads

I have been thinking about upgrading my throttle with a better one. the stock throttle I have now has a gigantic pull. I have to choke up to give it a good amount of throttle. even after that I can not give it Full Throttle. Im not looking to go wide open all around town but it would be nice to have access to the entire power-band with one twist of the wrist. Im looking to swap the oem for a different model or racing throttle. Something like a a domino throttle with a few different cams.. im expecting to get creative with the cables depending if the throttle is single pull/ double/ push-pull.

has anyone done something like this before?
Old 07-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
Nope. I've instead fitted R80 levers to my R100 carbs which makes a small but significant difference.

That and a fresh set of throttle cables, no tuner or big-bore kit can match that feeling of power.
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,411
I have a venhill 500a on my bike and it's great. Its a clone of a NLA magura model that was used on a lot of 90s ktms and other euro bikes. It's a single pull though so it requires a splitter.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 07-07-2014 at 09:50 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,527
MAgura still makes a bunch of relatively inexpensive throttles that should match BMW swages, I think
Old 07-08-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
R100RTurbo
Perky Sleeper

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL028 View Post
hello fellow airheads

I have been thinking about upgrading my throttle with a better one. the stock throttle I have now has a gigantic pull. I have to choke up to give it a good amount of throttle. even after that I can not give it Full Throttle. Im not looking to go wide open all around town but it would be nice to have access to the entire power-band with one twist of the wrist. Im looking to swap the oem for a different model or racing throttle. Something like a a domino throttle with a few different cams.. im expecting to get creative with the cables depending if the throttle is single pull/ double/ push-pull.

has anyone done something like this before?
What I read into your comments is that you are dealing with a heavy resistance to "roll on"?
Perhaps just stating the obvious but the stock Bing return springs can be rather tenuous under certain conditions. Prior to pulling off my carbs I sourced/ utlizied some lighter springs which allowed a much more relaxed grip and twist effort while still providing a reliable "return to idle" behaviour. Beyond that, the only other item I could suggest to substantially improve the throttle behaviour would be a turbo .
R100RTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:54 AM   #6
Rucksta
Chronic Noob

Oddometer: 2,632
Did you know there are alternate cam profiles for the throttle crown wheel giving a shorter twist to full throttle?
Alternately a well placed self tapping screw can increase the lift especially towards WOT where fine control is not paramount.