ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 10:33 AM   #196
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixels
Didja get the frame off to the painter's? Or is that spaghetti in the headlamp slowing you down a bit?
That headlight shell skeers me.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:57 AM   #197
Eurobiker
Vintage Cat Herder
 
Eurobiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Oddometer: 5,955
Were the VW style fuses still mounted in the headlight bucket in 84? If so, I'd suggest upgrading them with some 8 or 10 amp micro breakers that you can flush mount on the fairing. When I had my 76, I was always skeered I'd blow a fuse at night and getting to it is no trivial task.

__________________
Mark

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.




Eurobiker screwed with this post 02-14-2008 at 12:02 PM
Eurobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:44 PM   #198
pfestus1
Slasher
 
pfestus1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Copper Hill, Virginia
Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
That headlight shell skeers me.
I know what you mean! Hows this one make you feel


Its all out of there, but it'll have to go back in.
__________________
Hank Pfister
Copper Hill, VA

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #199
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfestus1
I know what you mean! Hows this one make you feel


Its all out of there, but it'll have to go back in.
I think I"m going to try and leave the main harness in place and just remove what I need to get the bike apart. I think I can leave the harness for the dash in place, along with the main one, but I'm not sure about the switch clusters yet.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #200
deerslayR
Spodely Adventurer
 
deerslayR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Sands of South Jersey
Oddometer: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
I think I"m going to try and leave the main harness in place and just remove what I need to get the bike apart. I think I can leave the harness for the dash in place, along with the main one, but I'm not sure about the switch clusters yet.
Hi Dave ,

Nice progress so far!

I don't remember the brand, maybe Luftmeister?,

but back in the "day", my R75/6 had a remote

fuse holder with two 15 amp AGC fuses that mounted on the gauge bezel.

It was a necessity when using an aftermarket fairing (Luftmeister, Vetter

Vesco, etc.) so you could change the occassional fried fuse.

Was a rather simple set up that could be duplicated quite easily and even

hidden if you didn't want to see it.
__________________
AMA 'MOA
ECEA 'RA
ARRA DHMC

TCSMC: teamhammer.org

"I'm a choker!" ask me how

"They're ALL dirt bikes.....some work better than others"-----Harley Huey
deerslayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #201
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayR
Hi Dave ,

Nice progress so far!

I don't remember the brand, maybe Luftmeister?,

but back in the "day", my R75/6 had a remote

fuse holder with two 15 amp AGC fuses that mounted on the gauge bezel.

It was a necessity when using an aftermarket fairing (Luftmeister, Vetter

Vesco, etc.) so you could change the occassional fried fuse.

Was a rather simple set up that could be duplicated quite easily and even

hidden if you didn't want to see it.
I'm just going to leave this bike as stock as possible, I think. It's a nice afternoon rider, not a daily rider, so I'm not real concerned about getting stuck somewhere with a busted fuse.

That's what cell phones, a wife, ramp and pickup truck are for, right?
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #202
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer
 
kixtand's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Oddometer: 2,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
I think I"m going to try and leave the main harness in place and just remove what I need to get the bike apart. I think I can leave the harness for the dash in place, along with the main one, but I'm not sure about the switch clusters yet.
You might also want to look at replacing the grommets and such for the wiring that goes into the headlight bucket while you're down this far, some of which can be done w/out removing all of the wires first, if memory serves.

Also, don't be intimidated by the wiring and such in the headlight bucket. If you dig into I think you'll find that it is MUCH simpler than you thought, and really broken down into pieces that can be addressed one at a time (i.e left switch, right switch, main harness, etc...) If you've got thw wiring diagram putting it back together should be a snap, even if you forget things along the way...

I wish I was coming to the left coast soon, I'd pop up your way and we'd be through that dude in two beers or less .
__________________
Bacon...

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 06:21 PM   #203
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixtand
You might also want to look at replacing the grommets and such for the wiring that goes into the headlight bucket while you're down this far, some of which can be done w/out removing all of the wires first, if memory serves.

Also, don't be intimidated by the wiring and such in the headlight bucket. If you dig into I think you'll find that it is MUCH simpler than you thought, and really broken down into pieces that can be addressed one at a time (i.e left switch, right switch, main harness, etc...) If you've got thw wiring diagram putting it back together should be a snap, even if you forget things along the way...

I wish I was coming to the left coast soon, I'd pop up your way and we'd be through that dude in two beers or less .


It'll be Miles Davis on the box, a pen and paper for notes and a camera to document it while I sit on my little stool and start pulling it apart.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 08:14 PM   #204
deerslayR
Spodely Adventurer
 
deerslayR's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Sands of South Jersey
Oddometer: 3,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
I'm just going to leave this bike as stock as possible, I think. It's a nice afternoon rider, not a daily rider, so I'm not real concerned about getting stuck somewhere with a busted fuse.

That's what cell phones, a wife, ramp and pickup truck are for, right?
Mrs. kbasa towing inc.

Tina could make some serious jingle with all the old skool rides in your 'hood.
__________________
AMA 'MOA
ECEA 'RA
ARRA DHMC

TCSMC: teamhammer.org

"I'm a choker!" ask me how

"They're ALL dirt bikes.....some work better than others"-----Harley Huey
deerslayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #205
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous
 
Wirespokes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Jackson's Bottom Oregon
Oddometer: 8,018
Headlight bucket rat's nest...

Actually, that mess in the headlight looks much worse than it really is. Like I said before, a good grippy set of forceps - those locking medical pliers/tweasers things work wonders getting the connections apart and putting them back together.

Secondly, the wires and connections are color coded: the brown wires go to the brown section of the circuit board, the blue with yellow stripe go to the blue section with the yellow stripe, and so on. The only real tricky part is routing the wiring so it wraps around the 'outside' of the bucket rather than crossing over the center area where the headlight has to fit.

Thirdly, there are some unmarked connections, but don't sweat it - they're easy if you just follow these steps: keep notes on a note pad, draw out the device with it's connections and mark which wires go where. There are about three of these - the ignition switch, headlight relay, and the flasher unit.

I forgot, there's one other thing: the wires need to be removed from a connector - forgot what it is now, but I seem to recall it being a black, L shaped thing with about four connections. The wires need to be removed from it, but there's a trick. There's a little tab that sticks out when the wire was pushed into the connection. It's a little barb that won't let the wire back out. Insert a very small pick from the business end of the connection to flatten it back, while gently pulling on the wire. When the barb is sufficiently back the wire will pull out.

One other thing to know is that all of the German parts have little numbers next to the terminals. Those numbers are usually listed in the wiring diagram, so you can figure out what goes where in case you forgot to fill out the diagram. Be sure to draw the diagram with distinct markings so you won't get mixed up and turn things upside down. Easy to do.
__________________
Wanted: Dead, smashed, crashed or trashed gauges
BMW GAUGE REPAIRS - TACH*SPEEDO*CLOCK*VOLT METER *PODs & LIGHT BOARD*
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #206
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrla
Actually, that mess in the headlight looks much worse than it really is. Like I said before, a good grippy set of forceps - those locking medical pliers/tweasers things work wonders getting the connections apart and putting them back together.

Secondly, the wires and connections are color coded: the brown wires go to the brown section of the circuit board, the blue with yellow stripe go to the blue section with the yellow stripe, and so on. The only real tricky part is routing the wiring so it wraps around the 'outside' of the bucket rather than crossing over the center area where the headlight has to fit.

Thirdly, there are some unmarked connections, but don't sweat it - they're easy if you just follow these steps: keep notes on a note pad, draw out the device with it's connections and mark which wires go where. There are about three of these - the ignition switch, headlight relay, and the flasher unit.

I forgot, there's one other thing: the wires need to be removed from a connector - forgot what it is now, but I seem to recall it being a black, L shaped thing with about four connections. The wires need to be removed from it, but there's a trick. There's a little tab that sticks out when the wire was pushed into the connection. It's a little barb that won't let the wire back out. Insert a very small pick from the business end of the connection to flatten it back, while gently pulling on the wire. When the barb is sufficiently back the wire will pull out.

One other thing to know is that all of the German parts have little numbers next to the terminals. Those numbers are usually listed in the wiring diagram, so you can figure out what goes where in case you forgot to fill out the diagram. Be sure to draw the diagram with distinct markings so you won't get mixed up and turn things upside down. Easy to do.


Thank you so much.

I got a call from Ray and the striper this morning. Since I've gone with a painted rear fender instead of the stock black, they wanted to know how to stripe it. It's going to be a replica of how the front is striped and should look terrific.

It must look great because both the striper and Ray were telling me it came out beautifully.

Guess I better get the frame done. The bodywork's going to be here before I know it!
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 AM   #207
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayR
Mrs. kbasa towing inc.

Tina could make some serious jingle with all the old skool rides in your 'hood.
Now that I think of it, she's rescued my neighbor when the electrics on his Triumph croaked, brought me gas and done a bunch of other little rescues.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #208
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 25,735
you sure you dont need to go down into the motor
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:39 AM   #209
Team Dennis
Certified Troublemaker
 
Team Dennis's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Tornado alley
Oddometer: 4,537
Great job so far Dave. Can't wait to see the pinstriping.
Be careful how far you go with that project. You might end up parking it inside as art.
P.S. What bike is that freshly painted red frame from?
Team Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #210
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 67,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Dennis
Great job so far Dave. Can't wait to see the pinstriping.
Be careful how far you go with that project. You might end up parking it inside as art.
P.S. What bike is that freshly painted red frame from?


Highly doubtful, man. I'm holding a spot for a Honda.

The red frame and headlight bucket are from an R69S that Ray's doing. The color is Granada Red. I'm very pleased with my R60, but if I could have had it in that red color, I would have been even more pleased.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014