ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2007, 10:06 AM   #31
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 66,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
Is reupholstering the seat not an option?
If I can get a cover for it, I'd have some local joint put some new foam on it. I guess I should look a little harder for a cover,huh?

__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #32
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 66,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
The stories keep coming out

What ELSE has happened? I like the two-different-jug concept. Like every part has a history behind it. That thing is already a novel.
No kidding, huh? That's why i want to be kind of careful and not get rid of too much of the history, but still have it look good. I want it to look good, but when I'm adjusting the valves or changing the oil or whatever, I see these little imperfections that lead me back to the story this bike has lived.

While they help tell the story, the headlight ears are gonna get replaced, too. They're all dented to crap and have some kind of brake fluid scars all over them. This bike got hurt when it got hit.

__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 AM   #33
McB
Joe 40 ouncer
 
McB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: North Slope of the Flint Hills
Oddometer: 15,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
If I can get a cover for it, I'd have some local joint put some new foam on it. I guess I should look a little harder for a cover,huh?

A good shop should be able to come close to replicating the original cover in your choice of materials. I had side panels replaced on a GTI seat, and you couldn't tell the difference.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:23 AM   #34
mutineer
Raoul Duke Lives
 
mutineer's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Eastern Chaingolia
Oddometer: 18,915
sausage boy

give me a call

can't see pics from work, but if the seat is full vinyl I got something for you

if it is the cowled CS seat

I got nothing
__________________
"Life is as good as you let it be" - Chain
"well . . . it ain't for everybody" - Goonie

"Enjoy every sandwich" - Warren Zevon
mutineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 AM   #35
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 66,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by McB
A good shop should be able to come close to replicating the original cover in your choice of materials. I had side panels replaced on a GTI seat, and you couldn't tell the difference.
Hmmm... Do you think they can match the pleating the stock seat came with? It's not really pleating so much as a thermal crimp on the vinyl cover. The pattern is important to me.

Of course, the foam is totally shot and the seat frame cuts into the back of my legs, so I've been considering just buying a new seat from Siebenrock.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #36
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 66,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutineer
sausage boy

give me a call

can't see pics from work, but if the seat is full vinyl I got something for you

if it is the cowled CS seat

I got nothing

It's got a cowl. CS/RS/RT style. I think the current seat is a 'comfort seat' based on some very helpful comments here.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #37
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
Yours is barely broken in, Al,it needs a trip to Alaska or some such thing.

When do we leave?
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:17 PM   #38
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
No kidding, huh? That's why i want to be kind of careful and not get rid of too much of the history, but still have it look good. I want it to look good, but when I'm adjusting the valves or changing the oil or whatever, I see these little imperfections that lead me back to the story this bike has lived.

While they help tell the story, the headlight ears are gonna get replaced, too. They're all dented to crap and have some kind of brake fluid scars all over them. This bike got hurt when it got hit.

If you're going to replace those, then I might suggest installing a billet upper triple clamp while you've got it all apart. It's the single best handling mod you can make to an Airhead, and costs much less than a new fridge.

We need to do an Airhead track day, Dave.
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:25 PM   #39
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer
 
Cogswell's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Riding with my pal Richard Cranium
Oddometer: 4,022
Seat cover available at Sargents

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
If I can get a cover for it, I'd have some local joint put some new foam on it. I guess I should look a little harder for a cover,huh?

I have been looking at These replacement covers for mine. Have not seen one in the flesh yet so I don't know how close to original they are.

Mike
__________________
Cogswell Rides To Big Bend
See my airhead project here
Time Warp Vintage Motorcycle Club
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #40
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 66,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewarax
I have been looking at These replacement covers for mine. Have not seen one in the flesh yet so I don't know how close to original they are.

Mike
I was looking at those this morning. They're close, but the CS LE has a special cover, which is proving problematic. I think I'm going to wait on the seat and see what I can find used. If worse comes to worst, I'll go with either a seat cover or a Siebenrock repro.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:57 PM   #41
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 66,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
If you're going to replace those, then I might suggest installing a billet upper triple clamp while you've got it all apart. It's the single best handling mod you can make to an Airhead, and costs much less than a new fridge.

We need to do an Airhead track day, Dave.
I know. What do they make those things out of? Gold? $200?

I'll probably ship that top plate off and get it powdercoated cuz I'm trying to keep project scope creep to a minimum.

And an airhead track day would be fun. I took CLASS ages ago on my RS and it was a ball.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:14 PM   #42
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Berkshire, England. Just off the Beaten Track!
Oddometer: 3,410
Motorworks here in the UK do a seat cover for the comfort seat....

http://www.bmwandguzzispares.co.uk/b...rs&partcode=TA

why not drop them a picture of yours and ask if it's the same.
England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #43
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy
 
Bigger Al's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Auburn, CA
Oddometer: 7,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
I know. What do they make those things out of? Gold? $200?

I'll probably ship that top plate off and get it powdercoated cuz I'm trying to keep project scope creep to a minimum.

And an airhead track day would be fun. I took CLASS ages ago on my RS and it was a ball.
There's a guy over on the Airlist that sells them for around $125, I believe. I'll ping over there and get the details.
__________________
"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth."

Steve McQueen




Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 03:54 PM   #44
sdpc2
Just another Rally Rat
 
sdpc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Somers, NY
Oddometer: 1,096
check out the Maryland BMW dealership

he has them for $119...



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al
There's a guy over on the Airlist that sells them for around $125, I believe. I'll ping over there and get the details.
__________________
'12 R1200GS Rallye Edition, '04 R1150 RT (for sale),'99 R1100GS,'77 R100S

I lower my passenger pegs for those riders that have gone before me
sdpc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #45
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 66,070
Holy cow! I'm feelin' the love, gents. Thanks for the pointers!

Project scope creep is starting and the Mrs. ain't gonna be too happy.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014