ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #106
pfestus1
Slasher
 
pfestus1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Copper Hill, Virginia
Oddometer: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixtand
Don't know about the German only thing, but my '72 /5 Toaster was made in Sep71. Given that '72 was the first year for the Toaster, there's no disputing the model year...
Well,,,,not eggzakkly.... We've been thru this on the /5 United list many times. Bak in the day, a lot of states allowed titleing in the year the bike was sold, so a left over 72 sold in 73 might have been titled as a 73. Also a 71 /5 that came in with a large tank, may have had the tank swapped off for a guy who din't like the flashy chrome so they took your tank and you ended up with a toaster (not that I don't believe you, Kixtand, I'm sure your Toaster is a real toaster. If it has the clips for the chrome side panels, then its a real '72. My first /5 is titled as a '73 with a 9/72 build date, its a SWB so I usually call it a '72)
Kbasa, you can have your fine thread back
__________________
Hank Pfister
Copper Hill, VA

2007 R1200GS, 1973 R75/5/Dnepr, 1984 R100RS/Motovation,
Gotta get my post count up
pfestus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 06:47 AM   #107
motoboyvfr
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
German Model Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfestus1
Well,,,,not eggzakkly.... We've been thru this on the /5 United list many times. Bak in the day, a lot of states allowed titleing in the year the bike was sold, so a left over 72 sold in 73 might have been titled as a 73. Also a 71 /5 that came in with a large tank, may have had the tank swapped off for a guy who din't like the flashy chrome so they took your tank and you ended up with a toaster (not that I don't believe you, Kixtand, I'm sure your Toaster is a real toaster. If it has the clips for the chrome side panels, then its a real '72. My first /5 is titled as a '73 with a 9/72 build date, its a SWB so I usually call it a '72)
Kbasa, you can have your fine thread back
Ok, the way I've been told this works goes like this: BMW shuts down for retooling every July and bikes manufactured for import into the US after the shutdown are designated as the next model year. If the bikes are to be sold in Germany, they are designated the same as the year of manufacture.
Last post for me on Dave's thread about my bike!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #108
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer
 
kixtand's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Oddometer: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfestus1
Well,,,,not eggzakkly.... We've been thru this on the /5 United list many times. Bak in the day, a lot of states allowed titleing in the year the bike was sold, so a left over 72 sold in 73 might have been titled as a 73. Also a 71 /5 that came in with a large tank, may have had the tank swapped off for a guy who din't like the flashy chrome so they took your tank and you ended up with a toaster (not that I don't believe you, Kixtand, I'm sure your Toaster is a real toaster. If it has the clips for the chrome side panels, then its a real '72. My first /5 is titled as a '73 with a 9/72 build date, its a SWB so I usually call it a '72)
Kbasa, you can have your fine thread back
I've read the discussions before as well and understand all of the variables involved. Perhaps should have been more clear in my original post. I'm not stating the model year and such based on the tank alone, as they are easily swappable, but, instead, all of the other things that changed w/ the '72 model year.

With that, I can confirm mine are '72's. Whether they left the factory w/ a Toaster tank or not we'll never know, but given each of them has one, I'd say they did, especially since they both look to be sporting the factory paint.

YMMV--

kix
__________________
Bacon...

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 10:41 AM   #109
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 65,661
You guys wanna go start your own thread to argue about this, please?
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 05:03 PM   #110
kixtand
Beastly Adventurer
 
kixtand's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Lexington, KY
Oddometer: 2,141
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
You guys wanna go start your own thread to argue about this, please?
Sorry about that; we'll take our marbles and go home now.
__________________
Bacon...

it makes everything better.
kixtand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #111
motoboyvfr
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Question R100 Update

So Dave, where are you with the tear down? Any more progress?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #112
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 65,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoboyvfr
So Dave, where are you with the tear down? Any more progress?
Been traveling for work and busy at home, so it's still sitting there in the garage looking at me. I still need to get the wheels, forks, electrics and swingarm off of it so I can get the motor out of it. That'll probably happen not this weekend, but next.

I hope. We're getting a new washer/dryer delivered next weekend, so I need to get the plumbing moved around and stuff.

Tina seems to be laboring under the impression that clean clothes matter.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 10:31 PM   #113
Media
livin' in overtime
 
Media's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Pacific North Wet
Oddometer: 93
restore?

I agree with you about the stories. Personally I never fix the honorable "battle scars" that don't stop function. However "insults" like falling ladder dents will always be eliminated!
Happy Trails
Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 AM   #114
motoboyvfr
Guest
 
Oddometer: n/a
Priorities

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
Been traveling for work and busy at home, so it's still sitting there in the garage looking at me. I still need to get the wheels, forks, electrics and swingarm off of it so I can get the motor out of it. That'll probably happen not this weekend, but next.

I hope. We're getting a new washer/dryer delivered next weekend, so I need to get the plumbing moved around and stuff.

Tina seems to be laboring under the impression that clean clothes matter.
Tina needs to take a hard look at her priorities. Clean clothes are overrated.
Take your time and lots of notes when disassembling the main harness in the headlight. The rest is pretty easy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #115
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 65,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoboyvfr
Tina needs to take a hard look at her priorities. Clean clothes are overrated.
Take your time and lots of notes when disassembling the main harness in the headlight. The rest is pretty easy.
Did you draw diagrams of all the connections? I'll probably take pictures, too.

Got my Sito pipes from Phil today. They're freaking perfect.

At this point, I have all parts except fasteners and such, with the exception of a seat. I'm now just looking for a Corbin gunfighter and lady and I'll use that while I look for an original seat.

This weekend, I'll actually be home, so there should be actual progress.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:08 AM   #116
Curvy
Lost Planet Airman
 
Curvy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Reno County Kansas
Oddometer: 8,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
You guys wanna go start your own thread to argue about this, please?
What about German short hair huntin dogs?

Anybody raise those?

Did your dad have one when you were a kid?





Sorry

I got a whole page of this stuff in my Guzzi thread.


You had better get to crackin or Mutt's going to whoop ya.
__________________
Memories stalk my dreams and torture my tattered old soul.
Curvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 AM   #117
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 65,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvy
What about German short hair huntin dogs?

Anybody raise those?

Did your dad have one when you were a kid?





Sorry

I got a whole page of this stuff in my Guzzi thread.


You had better get to crackin or Mutt's going to whoop ya.
No kidding. Travel for work and such will be plentiful over the next month. I think I'll take a detour out to the garage this afternoon and keep pulling parts off. I need another box to hold stuff, though. The current one is full.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:09 AM   #118
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP
 
Stagehand's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Shawangunks
Oddometer: 25,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbasa
No kidding. Travel for work and such will be plentiful over the next month. I think I'll take a detour out to the garage this afternoon and keep pulling parts off. I need another box to hold stuff, though. The current one is full.
How do you fare (how are you fairing? sorry, bad pun) vis-a-vis the other Dave?

Where all is his restore thread?
__________________
Unintentional psychokinesis.
Stagehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #119
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 65,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
How do you fare (how are you fairing? sorry, bad pun) vis-a-vis the other Dave?

Where all is his restore thread?
No clue.
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #120
kbasa OP
Colnago!
 
kbasa's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Marin County, California
Oddometer: 65,661
Got a note from the painter today. He wanted to know if they should restore the original pinstriper's mark under the tank after they finished painting. I told him no, but the guy that puts the new stripes on was welcome to put his mark under there.



Now I've got to get that powder coating work out!
__________________
IMHO.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014