Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #31
Daggy
Wondering ...

Oddometer: 986
Fiddle,

The James Bay Road might be a good idea now before 2009:

http://rupertriver.com/diversion/index.html

I didn't see anyone mention it, but the wild Rupert River is to be diverted by a hydroelectric dam. Bye bye to a wild river ... "See it while you can!"

When ya goin'? Maybe Alaska can wait next summer ...

Dave
Daggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:45 PM   #32
samuidave
The Dude abides...

Oddometer: 143
recommend the Dempster for sure

but you better be ready for everything as there are no motorcycle facilities for hundreds of miles; you must be independant mechanically, I would think, especially with tire repairs. The Dempster has a large section of shale-like rock surface, but the scenery is world class.

Here is a picture taken a couple years ago in July, prime time to travel the road. Be ready to get dirty :)
Attached Images

samuidave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:06 AM   #33
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,081
If you want fun, the South and North Canol roads into the NWT is the most enjoyable dirt path I've ever done. It is two sections of about 140 miles each, with gas in the middle at Ross River. From Ross River to the end in NWT is about 140 miles with no gas. Then you have to ride back. We had a chase truck spot us gas. From there you can run north to Dawson and pick up the Dempster. You'll need 250 miles fuel range for that too.

I am hoping to try the Labrador Hwy this coming season. Seems pretty remote to me.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:34 AM   #34
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,776
Try Canada

You can get free maps-very good maps - from the provinces and there are plenty of places up there that go to the "end of the road" I have driven(CAR) on gravel roads(Glacial rocks the size of babys head) that in 100 miles you will only see houses where there are hydro power dams and that means maybe 1 house every 50 miles or such. These roads all eventually end-most at lakes full of fish that are BIG! I am speaking of places that are much closer than AK and you can try some civilization from time to time in the process at the lodges or small towns. When you do fly-in fishing you see zero roads for the most part. I read about so many that do the AK thing as a far-off destination , knowing Canada has so much to offer if you want to do remote riding. They even speak English , which is pretty handy for me. You don't need a ride report, just get the maps and study them and google any points of interest and take off!
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:12 PM   #35
K2ride
Single track mind!

Oddometer: 1,615
The Trans-Taïga will get you the furthest from any town in North America ...& we`re not talking about New York city type of towns, here.

At the eastern end of it, lies Caniapiscau Reservoir where you`ll be 120 miles as the crow flies from Schefferville on the border of Labrador & there`s no roads or trails to link these two; it's considered impossible to do so by land with anything else than a snowmobile in winter but there`s a story going around that 2 Québec riders have managed to reach Labrador City from Caniaspicau in 4 days (140 miles as the crow flies).

I`ve been working on this possible ''upmost'' East/West link for two years & have come to the conclusion that, at best, it`s a myth but I`ve found some ways to reach Caniapiscau from lake Albanel/Mistassini (100 miles north of Chibougamau town) & have riden a short but hard section of this back in 1965 & 66 without knowing it; it`s still there but it looks much worst for having riden to it`s start in 2005 & this last summer.

It used to be a mining road to Dover which is as close to nowhere as you can get up north & it goes beyond to Caniapiscau; there is a possibility that this road will come to life again for reason of a recently discovered a sizable diamond deposit somewhere around Dover.

In may of this year, some logging & bulldozing (quite wide) had been done on this ''vestige'' of a road but it looked liked there was nothing going on at that point in time (no signs of life, no machinery or sounds of them); they may have been way further off than the start of it but we were running out of time & we weren`t rigged to do hardcore enduro to find out (we barely made it back to the Mistissini indian reserve for gas & had to ride from Route du Nord to Chibougamau at night in sub-freezing temps.

So,
It`ll be Caniapiscau by way of Route du Nord/James Bay/Trans-Taïga, bike & rider bushplaning from Caniapiscau to Shefferville from which it`ll be north on abandonned mining roads to try to reach some cariboo migration paths going towards Ugava Bay; there`s only a very slight possibility to ride any further than 30 miles north of Schefferville &, if so, I might reach the migration paths but cariboos care for signs as much as bridges & Metroguide Canada will be as useful as one touch dialing up there.

Then, it`ll be back down to Schefferville for a shopping spree at the tourist trap boutiques (one does need souvenirs ) followed by a night on the town mingling with the jet set turboprop crowd (Don`t worry; I`ll take pictures & post them! ).

From Schefferville, it`ll be riding south on the railway hoping not to have to jump off one of the many bridges on the way down to Esker & hitch a road going east to connect with the TransLab 45 miles west of Churchill Falls.

The rest will be Churchill Falls→ Goose Bay→(ferry or trail) to Cartwright→Blanc Sablon (Qc)→ Vieux fort→back to Blanc Sablon→ Newfoundland (up & down)→Nova Scotia (Meat Cove & Cabot trail ...again, of course)→New Brunswick→ the interior of the Gaspé peninsula where a mix of moose & cariboos roam (Mooseaboos) &, unfortunately,→home a hundred miles west of Montreal where there are no Mooseaboos to avoid on single tracks but work does abound !

You can make out most of the points on the image to give you an idea of the main routes that can be done in remote Québec & I haven`t gone beyond the ''Route du Nord'' (Nemisco) yet on the western part of the province but have been going to Mistassini/Albanel by way of the Gouin Reservoir on logging roads, power lines/sled & quad trails; it`s a treasure of adventure riding possibilities up there & very few really know about it; for sure, an incredible number of little flying critters per square foot of northern Québec tend to keep it this way ....even if they very much appreciate your presence!

Old 12-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #36
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 99,250
Thanks for the info, K2ride, it's intriguing. I hope you remember to take a lot of pictures...this area has been pretty much off the radar screen.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #37
Oldrice
oldrice.com

Oddometer: 527
Campsites close early Sept?

A few of us are riding up Trans Taiga in 08. Wondering when's the best time and if anyone else wants to go.

K2ride - that's a nice map you posted there. Any way I can get a copy of that with all the waypooints?

Oldrice-

AJS Trials, CB250K0, XL250K0
Oldrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:32 AM   #38
crooked roads
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix
Hey everyone...where's the most remote place you can get to in North America...it seems "everyone" is going to Alaska now-a-days, so that's sort of "yawn...another trip to Alaska". So I was wondering where would be another really remote place to go to? Is it the Yukon or Northwest Territory? I see on Google Maps there's a road that goes north into the Yukon, is it highway 6? Any thoughts?

Dave
Straight north when every house has a plane,chopper,sleds or old track machines your starting to get into no mans land.
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:14 PM   #39
K2ride
Single track mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldrice
Campsites close early Sept?

A few of us are riding up Trans Taiga in 08. Wondering when's the best time and if anyone else wants to go.

K2ride - that's a nice map you posted there. Any way I can get a copy of that with all the waypooints?

Oldrice-
Send me a PM & I`ll try to send you the working version of this Google Earth image; any info on how to do it would be appreciated.

A fellow Québec rider went for it solo a few years back on the first week of august & rode in every possible conditions from warm dry & pleasant to fog, rain, strong winds, hale & even some snow with road conditions changing accordingly; he loved it.

Just keep in mind that the Taïga is a place of extremes, be prepared &, by all means, enjoy it.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:47 PM   #40
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
If somebody asks for GPS files and if XM radio has reception...I'll probably puke....
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #41
Global Rider
Alps Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlestix
So I was wondering where would be another really remote place to go to?
The Trans Taiga Road. Its a dead end though, so you'll be coming back the same way.

Euro & North American Travel & Technical Stuff for the R1150 GS & Adventure

Euro & Alps Motorcycle Tours - Priced Right, How to go about

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.....A. Einstein
Global Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #42
K2ride
Single track mind!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Global Rider
The Trans Taiga Road. Its a dead end though, so you'll be coming back the same way.
Yep,
It`ll be ''bushplanes'' or ''Déjà Vu'' although it might not turn out to be all that ''Déjà Vu'' from there...
Old 12-29-2007, 10:15 AM   #43
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,538
Southeastern Utah.

Kaiparowits Plateau and 50-mile Mesa in the Escalante-Grand Staircase National Monument.

I want to camp at Hole in the Rock sometime...

IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #44
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,806
Another area that is usefully remote is the corner of Arizona separated from the rest of the state by the Colorado River. I have done absolutely no research as to how far it is to towns and so on, but I will say in all my poking around, that's a part of the world that impressed me with remoteness.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #45
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,538
Yep.

Grand Canyon-Parashant National Monument in Northwestern Arizona is pretty F-ing remote... Shivwits Plateau, Grand Wash Cliffs, etc...

That's another place I'd like to check out sometime...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote