User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,183
Hacked Up on Piney Mountain

Well, it's Donkey's and Cuttle's fault really...I've been intrigued with sidecar rigs for a long time, had even read the Yellow Book, and have been lurking in the Hacks section here, but I never saw myself actually buying / riding one. But after seeing Donkeys' rigs in action over the last couple years, and following Cuttle's build, I started "looking" a little more earnestly. Initially I started looking for a decent chair I could attach to my KLR, but then THIS came along on the FM. It was priced right, and it was ONLY 1300 miles away. So, after making a deal and never having ridden a rig, I was the proud owner of a 2010 Tourist with 10K km. After some back and forth and a little drama with uShip, driver Rick picked it up at 10PM in downtown Chicago Tuesday night, and delivered it to me Friday morning. Sellor snapped a couple cell phone pics as it was being tied down to the trailer.

It was cold here Friday morning, all of 48 degrees LOL. Ended up pushing it off the trailer since the battery was dead and no matter what I did with the fuel, enrichners and kick start, I couldn't even get a hint of it wanting to fire. I also noticed the vin was rubbed off the decal on the right fork. As the driver pulled out of the driveway I wondered what I had gotten myself into... So I finally found the stamped vin underneath the aftermarket steering dampner, and realized it was completely out of gas (it never did smell like gasoline while I was trying to start it). 5 gallons if non-Etoh 91 octane later, I gave it a swift kick and felt some life in the motor. On the second kick it started into a nice smooth idle. We're still shopping for doggy goggles but Shelby is ready to go.

I had taken Friday morning off to make a DMV run and get it tagged in FL. Got all my paperwork together and drove over to find out the DMV was closed for the Thanksgiving holiday. Planning to go down Monday before work and get it legal. I took a short ride Friday and a couple yesterday, what a hoot! Turns out this rig was sold new to a guy in south FL in 2010, and the guy I bought it from had it shipped to Chicago last year. He told me he rode it a lot, but looking at his title he only did 450 km in the year he had it. And that was probably all around the Chicago metro area. It def needs a little attention. After riding it last nite I drained all the fluids. Fresh oil and gear lube this afternoon, ordered a couple oil filters but won't have them until later this week.

It's got 10000 km, decent tires, the deep sump, aftermarket dampner and side car cover. I had a new battery I had just installed in a Suzuki Intruder 1400 project, so I popped that in. E start works fine. I'll get it up on the lift and check brake pads, air filter and all the fastners. I need to ride another one, sure seems like it shifts hard (or takes a lot of pressure to select a gear - you need to be "committed" when you shift) but maybe they all do that. Shifts like an old 9N. Maybe fresh tran oil will help. Brake pedal needs adjustment. I noticed the fuses and switch in the chair, all they all set up like that for a spot light? What are the other fuses for? Plan to take the seat out and install a rubber floor mat on the floor so all of the dogs can go, or at least 2 of them.

FWIW I spent half an hour looking for the trunk lock. I had keys for it, but couldn't find where to unlock the trunk. Took the seat out and found the actual lock in the cargo hold. The lever was so stiff I just assumed I needed to unlock it somewhere before opening. Most the tools are missing out of the tool roll, so I'll take inventory and replace what I need to carry.

Got some chores to do this morning, so I'd better get on it. I can play with the rig this afternoon

Cheers

PMR

PineyMountainRacing screwed with this post 11-30-2014 at 09:15 AM
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
SwampFox883R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Excellent Ride safe as you learn the ropes.

Looking fwd to tales and tails.
AN650 Burgman w/Texas Sidecar <Mrs. SwampFox's

SwampFox883R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:31 AM   #3
MikeBike4
Hacked

Oddometer: 1,346
There must be something in the water!

The inmates here had a lot to do with my recent addition as well.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,173
Congrats and fun riding!

FWIW, my new cT shifts hard. It's the only one I've ridden so also don't know if they all are like that.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Keithert
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Jersey you need to ride my 98 Ural! That shifts hard. I rode a 13 yesterday and it was very smooth in comparison. But it was still clunkier than other bikes.
1998 Ural Deco
Keithert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:23 AM   #6
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,196

Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
Pastaman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Congrats on the new rig ! Looks like a good deal. These beasts are a lot of fun
Pastaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 03:43 PM   #8
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Chores and work kept me away from the new toy, but I did get the oil, transmission and gear oil changed. Actually there was no changing the gear oil, only a couple drops came out when I pulled the drain plug (well maybe 10-20 CC's). Minimal metal on the magnet. Wanted to grease the driveshaft / u joint, but none of my guns would reach in far enough to get on the zerk. I'm guessing it can only be lubed when it's off the bike. I'll pull it off next weekend, do the air filter, drain the gear lube I just put in and put in fresh. Should have my oil filters by then. Added a fuel filter. Adjusted the rear brake. Rode it about 50km before it got dark and checked for leaks.

I think I'll pull the seat cushion out and rig some kinda harness for the dogs. That way they'll be down lower in the chair and although they are good in the Jeep without any restraint, the Ural may be a little exciting to them.

So my newbie questions for today....

Does the drive shaft have to come off to lube the zerk?
How warm does the rear unit get after riding? I only put my hand down there since it's been dry for awhile. Was warmer than I expected, but only other shaft drive bike I've owned was an ST1300.

So, DMV tomorrow, already have it added to my insurance policy. Oh yeah, doggy goggles LOL, that will be my project for tonight.

PMR out.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #9
DRONE
Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer: 3,570
If Shelby chases squirrels, they are a lot closer and more tempting from the sidecar than from way up high on the seat inside the Jeep. Squirrels are the #1 reason I use a restraint for Kirby.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:47 PM   #10
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post

So my newbie questions for today....

Does the drive shaft have to come off to lube the zerk?
How warm does the rear unit get after riding? I only put my hand down there since it's been dry for awhile. Was warmer than I expected, but only other shaft drive bike I've owned was an ST1300.
Video-Greasing Main Driveshaft U-Joint at
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...p?f=25&t=36107

Final drive does get a little warm but make sure your pusher brake is not dragging.
I'm in Fort Myers for the winter and Robbinsville,NC for the summer.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 06:58 PM   #11
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRONE View Post
If Shelby chases squirrels, they are a lot closer and more tempting from the sidecar than from way up high on the seat inside the Jeep. Squirrels are the #1 reason I use a restraint for Kirby.
Shelby is a rescue I got last year at Christmas, she was a 1 year old Lab with zero training and some "issues" but has come a long ways since then. I have some acreage so I'll test her out there, but would still like her restrained as she's not quite trustworthy yet, and I don't wanna be thinking about her while I'm riding. I have an 8 year old Lab rescue who is rock solid, but I will restrain her as well. And also a 7 month old Golden, if he keeps growing he won't fit in the car anyway LOL. I guess they will have to take turns when we go out. Maybe I can get PMRchic to ride a hack as well, then the whole family can go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar None View Post
Video-Greasing Main Driveshaft U-Joint at
http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/v...p?f=25&t=36107

Final drive does get a little warm but make sure your pusher brake is not dragging.
I'm in Fort Myers for the winter and Robbinsville,NC for the summer.
Thanks, just ordered the needle. One for $10 or 2 for $13. I'm gonna bet that shaft is a little skinny on grease. I adjusted the brakes with the rear wheel off the ground, but I'll double check them again before I ride. I have a home in Sylva / Whittier but do a lot of riding around R-vile and over on into TN. I'm planning to trailer the Ural up for March Moto Madness, so that will be the first time I've ridden it in the mountains. Hoping I can get it up my driveway, originally thought I wanted a 2WD, but this seemed like a decent rig for the money. Good chance to get my feet wet anyway.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Thanks, just ordered the needle. One for $10 or 2 for $13. I'm gonna bet that shaft is a little skinny on grease. I adjusted the brakes with the rear wheel off the ground, but I'll double check them again before I ride. I have a home in Sylva / Whittier but do a lot of riding around R-vile and over on into TN. I'm planning to trailer the Ural up for March Moto Madness, so that will be the first time I've ridden it in the mountains. Hoping I can get it up my driveway, originally thought I wanted a 2WD, but this seemed like a decent rig for the money. Good chance to get my feet wet anyway.
You will love riding your Ural in the mountains of WNC. Great on the gravel roads.

I had a two wheel drive Ural but never needed the two wheel drive in two years of riding in the mountains on my steep rough driveway or on the forest service roads. I sold that Ural several months ago and am waiting for the arrival of a 2015 Ural cT (one wheel drive) from Holopaw Ural in late December.

It is going to WNC in April - November. We will have to get together. I ride with a group from Naples,FL which includes several Urals.
Where are you in SWFL?
2015 Ural cT on order
Old 12-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #13
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

March Moto Madness???

WTF?

"Show us your Wood Load your bike with wood. Biggest wood wins."

Looks like my kinda rally.
2015 Ural cT on order
Old 12-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #14
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar None View Post
March Moto Madness???

"Show us your Wood Load your bike with wood. Biggest wood wins."

Looks like my kinda rally.
Just come up to R-Ville a couple days early, Cuttle and I will pick you up and we'll head over to Tellico Plains. I guarantee it will rain, it will be cold and you will have a hoot. Usually it's the last weekend of March.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #15
PineyMountainRacing OP
Oops....

Ural "top" speed ?

What should I expect for a top speed? I was kinda hoping 60-65 mph for short distances, to keep up with the traffic down here in FL. First time out with weight in the chair, PMRchic wanted to go. We did about 40 km before dark and the rig pulled pretty strong (using that term loosely) up to 50 mph. The most I could get out of it was 55 (indicated, not GPS speed). Tires are good, brake wasn't dragging, and PMRchic is about 130. Pretty typical for this setup?

The differential is definately hot after a short trip. Too hot to keep my hand on it. That just can't be right?

I doubt this rig had much maintenance the year the seller had it since he rode it less than 400 miles. And the original owner's records stop in 2012. Probably need to start with the basics, plugs, valves, carbs, air, ignition timing, etc.

I was just curious what to expect if it's set up right?

PineyMountainRacing screwed with this post 12-02-2014 at 05:11 AM