Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2007, 08:40 AM   #1
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

Oddometer: 3,307
ask woody about your billet hub wire Vstrom wheels....

well i have some good news for you V-stromers...

this thread was started in December 2007 and now it's 20 December 2010 ...i just deleted the initial outdated lyrics....

here's the pics of the prototype billet hub wire wheels you all have been requesting..

Bob at RAD finally got the time to assimilate the data we sent and actually do something about it .....will keep you posted..here's a sneak pic:

fast forward to mid January 2011,,and the first finished front hub arrived for the big strom,,,the lil stroms is in the final stages too...

moving on to Valentines day 2011 and the finished rear hub arrives for final approval,,,looks fine should work on both V-stroms,,,to keep cost down we made it to accept all the oem cush-drive components as welll as your rear discs....both these items would have added another $600+ to the conversion....my guess is it will sell for circa $450 the front for circa $295

so please pass the word....

woody

....Wanna e-mail us... woodyswheelworks@gmail.com
......Wanna talk,,,call us
toll free... 1-866-936-0232
........If you're lost???... GPS = 39*40'33.86N x 104*59'54.69W

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 03-04-2011 at 09:28 AM
woody's wheel works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #2
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Woody, my suggestion is that you get a test mule into your shop (any Denver volunteers?), build up a prototype, and then offer a turnkey package to this forum for a reasonable price. My bet is that you'd have 200+ people sign up for the package and you'd completely cover your dev costs and make a few bucks in addition. The two Strom boards want the mod as well.

The 21" front end would be very cool, but then the front fender has to be replaced and this gets complicated. A few have tried to mount a high dirt-bike style front fender, but you get into complications with the front bodywork. My suggestion would be to simply stick with the stock wheel sizes and do like BMW does in converting a GS into a GS Adv - I don't think very many are clamoring for a 21" front end on the GS Adv.

I do think keeping the speedo is important as what most of us want to do is orient the bike a little more towards the dirt and give it a a more off-road look, not attempt to make it a serious off-road machine - the basic platform just has too many serious limitations (i.e., ground clearance) to be worthy of making it a hard-core dirt bike. The speedo sensor is electrical - looks like a little optical chopper gizmo that sits in the outboard bearing spacer on left/front side.

BTW, there are some differences both front/rear between the DL1000 and DL650 in their axles, spacers, etc. so you may need to take this into account. The 650 is probably the bike most folks tend to go off-road more, but OTOH, the 1000 is typically bought by people with more money to mod their machines.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:20 AM   #3
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

so where's the donor V-strom???

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Woody, my suggestion is that you get a test mule into your shop (any Denver volunteers?), build up a prototype, and then offer a turnkey package to this forum for a reasonable price. My bet is that you'd have 200+ people sign up for the package and you'd completely cover your dev costs and make a few bucks in addition. The two Strom boards want the mod as well.

The 21" front end would be very cool, but then the front fender has to be replaced and this gets complicated. A few have tried to mount a high dirt-bike style front fender, but you get into complications with the front bodywork. My suggestion would be to simply stick with the stock wheel sizes and do like BMW does in converting a GS into a GS Adv - I don't think very many are clamoring for a 21" front end on the GS Adv.

I do think keeping the speedo is important as what most of us want to do is orient the bike a little more towards the dirt and give it a a more off-road look, not attempt to make it a serious off-road machine - the basic platform just has too many serious limitations (i.e., ground clearance) to be worthy of making it a hard-core dirt bike. The speedo sensor is electrical - looks like a little optical chopper gizmo that sits in the outboard bearing spacer on left/front side.

BTW, there are some differences both front/rear between the DL1000 and DL650 in their axles, spacers, etc. so you may need to take this into account. The 650 is probably the bike most folks tend to go off-road more, but OTOH, the 1000 is typically bought by people with more money to mod their machines.

- Mark
mark i appreciate your input,,,,,and it's a no brainer to have the bike in front of me,,,FYI,,,,last week the GSX beemer riders had a bike here pronto,,,and within a day or two figured out what we need to build em even better wheels....

if one picture is worth a 1000 words ,,,,one bike in my shop is worth a 10000000000

OBTW,,i've requested one numerous times over the years,,,many have promised,,,,,,none have showed up

perhaps they love em sooo much that they can't wanna be without em for a day or two

PS,,,mark you sign me up even 100 bonafide customers,,,and i'll drop what i'm doing and get right on it
Old 12-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #4
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Woody, let's work on this. You'd certainly be welcome to my Wee, but it's a little tough to get it over 1K miles of high rockies in the winter.

I'd certainly be willing to set up some kind of group buy deal here and on the other forums. I'll see about putting out some feelers to gauge interest.

I'm sending you a pm with some questions.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:44 AM   #5
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

oh oh.... sounds great.....

Woody, I'm thinkin' right now is probably the best period to borrow a strom to an AdvRider in your area. I'm guessing a lot are letting their bikes sleeping in the garage waiting for gentler days.
Or also.... if you have a bike in exchange... maybe... dunno.
Sadly, sadly..... we are a bit too far from you. There's a big pond between us.

Anyway, this is really goooood news.
/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
coop74
Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer: 2,189
A Point of info

Just a point of info but on the DL1000 the speedo pickup is not on the wheel. Also the geometry of the DL1000 is already a bit odd so a bigger front wheel with out picking up the rear some would make handling odd.

I do however think a larger front and larger spring in the rear to balance it out with some spoked wheels (tubeless would be great) would sell and would be worth your time depending on the cost of a set of wheels.

To control cost and adaptability i think the idea of stock size wheels would be your best bang for the buck!

Just my two cents!

Coop
coop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Mika Meyer
V-Strom gives you wiiings

Oddometer: 250
Cool2

Hey Woody -

I would be all over this but my bike's buried in its snow cave (trailer) here in CB. Throw out a request on the Rockies regional forum (prolly 205, right?). I'd be surprised if you didn't get at least a few offers.
Definitely interested in wires for my 650, with working speedo. Not that it works so great on the stock rim .

Adventure - Going further than where your knowledge, your experiences, and your capacities may have initially stopped you.

2008 ADV Relay rider: Colorado
Mika Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Meyer
Definitely interested in wires for my 650, with working speedo. Not that it works so great on the stock rim .
+1 I will be watching to see what you come up with.
Not that I have had any problems with the stockers but I would like to own two sets of wheels. One wrapped with tkc80's and one street set.
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #9
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

here's what i learned in the last 24 hours,,,

1....i bet that the V-strom wheel we repaired/measured in the shop must be for a 650 since it is a 3 spoke mag and is set up for a speedo drive,,,has a 17mm axle,,the workorder only said v-strom on it,,,,

2....markjen,,,has stepped up to the pump to get you all in sync with this project

3....tubeless,,,tubeless,,,TUBELESS

4....turnkey set-up using oem discs/sprockets

5....tough and durable

6....attempt a good price package discount

7....somehow,,,,try to compete with the oem mag prices,,,gonna be hard to do,,,since i'm poitive you should be able to get a pair of mags for less than a thousand.....will someone chime in oem prices front/rear for the 650/1000????......currently i'm doing my damndest to keep the prices for BMW1200HS/HP-2 wheel kits at $2k,,,,of course they are tricko wacko and bling-bling

for example...

Old 12-23-2007, 10:39 PM   #10
decodent
CyberGypsy

Oddometer: 1,403
Wow ... very cool.

If you build 'em, I'd be very interested in buying a set. Planning on taking my WeeStrom on the Continental Divide Trail next summer.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:47 AM   #11
Behindbars
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 650
I would also be interested.
Old 12-24-2007, 06:37 AM   #12
kbuckey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 745
I'm not that interested in wheels for my v-strom but I'd be willing to bring it down to your shop as soon as I can get down to Lookout Mountain road - way too much ice on the road right now. Every time I think it'll be getting cleared up it snows again.

But I might be interested in a set of 17" street wheels for my DR650!
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:14 AM   #13
rxcoop
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,659
bought a 'new' front wheel for my 6fiddy in august of 06. my local dealer matched the 'ron ayers' price of $320.
fyi....ron is selling new rear wheels for $370 on his website....
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

merry christmas to all of ya....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuckey
I'm not that interested in wheels for my v-strom but I'd be willing to bring it down to your shop as soon as I can get down to Lookout Mountain road - way too much ice on the road right now. Every time I think it'll be getting cleared up it snows again.

But I might be interested in a set of 17" street wheels for my DR650!
thanks...kbuckey!!!!,,,i'm waiting,,,,for either project

woody n the gang

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 12-24-2007 at 08:39 AM
Old 12-24-2007, 08:37 AM   #15
woody's wheel works OP
Built to Last

here's the financial rub of it all,,,$$$$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcoop
bought a 'new' front wheel for my 6fiddy in august of 06. my local dealer matched the 'ron ayers' price of $320.
fyi....ron is selling new rear wheels for $370 on his website....
so if less than $700 is the starting the place,,,,i'm absolutely positive that my original assertion where i bet that an alloy set for either bike would retail for less than $1k,,,,and my recent experience trying to build the ''lightest/strongest'',,,shows i'm just getting by at 2k a set

i've got my thinking cap on,,,,the trick here is that we'll have to find something that's in existance and in the ballpark so with a lil touch here n there we'll have the basis for putting a wheelset together,,,

folks we can put alot of stuff together,,cad plated spokes ,,,stock lace-patterns,,cheapo rims,,and cobble some wire wheels together,,,that's not my style,,,and i bet not most of you'rs either,,,the key is quantity,,,and the adaptatation of something in existence already,,,let's work on this together,,,your feedback is essential,,,including what you are actually willing to pay for this,,,,

bottom line,,,what is the REASONABLE PRICE we have to shoot for?????,,,if it is to match oem or Ron Ayers,,,we can quit right now...

woody

woody's wheel works screwed with this post 12-26-2007 at 06:54 AM