User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2015, 10:46 AM   #1
shmangzy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Harley Ultra Sidecar Speaker Removal

Hey everyone I am in the process of prepping for a sidecar trip from Maine to Alaska and back this summer, before I start medical school in the Fall. I will be taking my dog and my girl on the trip, we will be riding a 1990 Harley w/ ultra sidecar. As I prepare the bike I would like to remove the speakers in the sidecar to allow my dog to have more room to tuck his head down when he wants to sleep. He has a lot of sidecar experience as he has logged about 18,000 sidecar miles, but most of that was on our last rig (2002 BMW Gs1150 w/ ural sidecar.) and he seems to be a little tight on space with the speakers installed.

I was wondering if anyone has experience removing these sidecar speakers. It looks like they are just attached with some rubber like sealant, or something, and I don't really see any screws mounting them. I would ideally like to remove them so they are not ruined, allowing me to re-install them if I need to sell the bike for tuition money later on.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

by the way, already tried talking to local harley dealer and no help with sidecars and I am trying to avoid shelling out the $60 for the manual.

Thanks!
shmangzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
Carl Childers
Ghost in the Machine

Oddometer: 790
Post a pic. A lot of speaker grills snap on and the screws for the speaker are underneath. Cheaper than the manual is the parts book, they show exploded views and are really helpful for assembly or disassembly and can be a much cheaper alternative to the shop manual and possibly even free if you can find the sidecar interior view on line. google around and see what's out there, The Sidecar Association forum has more Harley guys on it than here and most likely one of them could tell you. Good luck!
Old 04-21-2015, 01:21 PM   #3
Chuck Pryce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Remove the two nuts that secure console to front of sidecar body. Remove the two screws and well nuts that hold the console to the rear of the console body.lower console down and disconnect the amp and speakers. That is what is in the service manual.
Chuck Pryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
shmangzy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thanks!

I was planning on posting a picture, but the bike is in the shop getting a new rear tire put on so I don't have access to it yet.

I will post a picture when I get it back.

Also thanks for the input from the service manual, I do not remember seeing those screws but I will look closer when I get the rig back.

I was also just hired last minute as a crew member for a 10 day sail boat delivery, so I will be off the forum until I get back. I will post again when I successfully remove the speakers.

Thanks for the quick replies and help!
shmangzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #5
Flynuly
FNG

Oddometer: 71
Picture of the service manual page. Picked up the manual at a swap meet still in the plastic for a song.
Flynuly is offline   Reply With Quote