User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
tbird649 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Right Side Wrong Side

Just remembered I said I would post my experience of riding an outfit with the sidecar on the other side. I have only been riding an outfit for 2 years, in the UK, so my chair is on the correct side (the left!) Just been to Vietnam and ridden an old Ural for a fortnight, chair on the right (wrong!) side. Well, at first, it felt just like when you first rode an outfit, you remember, the bloody thing had a mind of its own, every time you did something it wallowed left or right on its own. Then you got used to it. It seemed even more pronounced, because it seemed to do everything more so, probably because it was all reversed. Anyway, didnt take long to get used to it, and when I got home, my outfit felt fine after the first few corners. Actually, although mine is a modern(!?!) Ural, it felt like a Rolls Royce after riding an ex Red Army heap of bits.

tbird649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
whitham_wannabe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 989
Was this through a rental company out there? If so, how did you find the experience? Been toying with the idea of doing one of these trips, I would be interested to hear how you got on.

Travels With Bruce : More Travels With Bruce
whitham_wannabe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #3
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,829
I was the monkey on my friend's race rig. His Wasp MX/offroad rig was a proper right side hack.
However, the first time out on his left side hack, road race rig he did have a slight mishap. Just going slow through the pits, he forgot what side the chair was on!
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #4
tbird649 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitham_wannabe View Post
Was this through a rental company out there? If so, how did you find the experience? Been toying with the idea of doing one of these trips, I would be interested to hear how you got on.
We went with www.exploreindochina.com
This was my second trip with them, we did a 6 day trip two up on a solo Ural a couple of years ago. This was 11 days, North from Hanoi following the Chinese border round to Sapa. I can thoroughly recommend the company, the holiday and the whole experience. Accommodation is in Hotels of various standards, some are really nice, non are too bad,just what is available in some pretty remote places. Also stayed in various homestays with Vietnamese families which are a real highlight. The bikes are old, but you get a mechanic along with you, and a guide,our guide was an Aussie, fluent in Vietnamese. Mechanics are very capable, we had a gearbox removed and stripped by the side of the road. Broken bits removed, bike going again in 3rd and 4th. New gearbox arrived in a cardboard box on the overnight bus from Hanoi. Do it, you won't regret it.

tbird649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 01:41 AM   #5
Tarka
Doesn't wave back.

Oddometer: 1,985
Good one...glad you enjoyed.

It does take a quick mental shuffle when you're used to a correctly handed (left side,heh heh) sidecar and then go to a right hand sided one but it's no issue,as you found for yourself.

What really is fun is taking a UK sided sidecar into Europe and riding it on the 'wrong side of the road'.

Roundabouts are an airborne giggle if you choose.
Then there's the use of your sidecar passenger's eyeball size to see if it's okay to overtake.
Normal size...okay.
Dinner plate size...probably best to wait a moment.

(But seriously,it's just a case of dropping back a bit more than normal or simply moving over to the right and looking up the inside).

The road camber is very noticeable if you don't bother to adjust the tiebars, as it feels like you're very low down (especially on the pre-overtake moving to the right) and this exacerbates the lightness on lefthanders....but like I said above,it certainly makes roundabouts fun!

I'd only waste my money if I didn`t spend it on all my bikes......
Tarka is offline   Reply With Quote