Planning The Dream

On hold :(

TheWorstKind screwed with this post 05-23-2012 at 06:29 PM
TheWorstKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
St_rydr
Strider

Oddometer: 5,345
Keep focused, make a plan and stick to it. Good luck and keep the shiny side up.
St_rydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Sparkdaddy
aventurero

Oddometer: 926
Is it safe to say that you will be riding a harley on your journey?
That will be sweet.

Welcome noob. Now go fetch me a beer.
Sparkdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
GazzaFish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
Welcome I'd look forward to reading the report even if it is a few years away. You have plenty of time to plan. Great to see people actually making a decision and getting out there and doin it. Congrats.. Life's definately too short.
GazzaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #5
toslo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Tell me again what you will be riding on the TAT.
toslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
JZracecolor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Any interest in heading for the baja peninsula and then to the arctic circle and back???

JZracecolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #7
TheWorstKind OP
In the Wind

Oddometer: 860
Keeping the shiny side up certainly looks to be a challenge on this ride. Even though the Street Glide has good torque and a low center of gravity, I just don't think I'd want to clean all the dirt off the chrome.....

As far as what bike I am going to take..... I don't know yet.

I have been wanting a big dual purpose bike ever since the first GS came out, and even though the 1200 GSA is my dream bike, I suspect I may have to be a bit more practical. I've actually owned a couple of KLRs, and I'm thinking that a new KLR is a smarter choice than the big Beemer. It is going to be a tough call, simply because I just really want the Beemer. My little mind has already started justifying the GSA, too - "going across the Rockies you'll need fuel injection. You don't want to be messing with the jetting on the KLR. And, there is life before and after the TAT ride, and most of that will be on the street. Plus the Beemer looks really cool, it's a real motorcycle. You don't want to feel inadequate on the little KLR....."

Yup, that's really what I have to deal with.

I'm just a little over 6'1", with a 34" inseam, so height-wise neither bike is an issue. I'm also a fairly, and let's stay polite here, big man. Doesn't make much difference whether I'm picking up a 500 lb or 350 lb machine - or at least I'd like to think so. One of the reasons the start date is two and a half years away is I realize I need to get into much better shape physically. I have really aquired the stereo-typical Harley figure over the last few years. As soon as the new year arrives, and all the holiday feasting is over, I will start on a diet and eat for one, instead of three, as I have been doing! I will even stoop so low and post the ultra-secret current weight info on here...

As far as Baja and the arctic circle, well, not on this trip, but after, why not?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:37 PM   #8
heetseeker
Hopelessly addicted

Oddometer: 370
Thumb

bikers used to do LD trips on all makes and models. We today tend to over think the issue. If you can afford it, a GS or KTM950, or even another 08 KLR will do fine. Face it, you've been inactive and kickin' back too much...Thats cool but knowing it's time for a change is bad ass and powerful medicine, my man. Get your big ass up and dump some lb's, get the most bike you can afford, a 24 pack of MRE's and get your dream on...2 years is MORE than enough time to prep. I can help get you there physically if you are honest with yourself, just pm me. I can't help you with the desire to ride the TAT...you have me there by a mile...

Get some!!!

PDMC 38x
heetseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
TheWorstKind OP
In the Wind

I just may take you up on your offer, heetseeker. Your big GS isn't too much of a good thing in some of the gnarlier stuff?

And on that note, a Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-23-2007, 08:17 PM   #10
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Be a real man - take a Honda CT110 ...

Some people are walking around the world.. no all the way around .. well other than the watery bits.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:17 PM   #11
TheWorstKind OP
In the Wind

Time for "Thread Resurrection"!

It has been ten months since I last posted, as I was basically in "info gathering" mode since. Learned quite a bit. Some of the bigger "lessons":

1. Time flies. Turbo charged, really.

2. I don't think I'll be able to do the whole TAT in one trip - not enough vacation time. Time flies, indeed!

3. Must lose weight quicker. So far, about twenty pounds (a few of those several times, actually). Time flies!

4. Used KLR prices are a bit silly, at least at the moment. The KLR will be my mount of choice. Will also serve as a commuter and street steed.

5. I have been bitten by the ADV bug! I simply cannot shake this desire to go adventuring!

6. Lots more to learn, but I'll try not to overdo it.

Well, that's it for now. Time for a 'reasonable' dinner....
Old 09-26-2008, 04:24 PM   #12
TheWorstKind OP
In the Wind

Still looking hard for used KLRs at REASONABLE prices (looking for two, one for the kid, one for myself). I had hoped to find at least one by October. Not optimistic, but certainly not without hope. If I have to wait a bit longer, that's ok, too.

I did score two brand new hydraulic bike lifts for $15.00 each!

I have a closet full of sportbike and Harley riding gear, but nothing for adventure riding, so I have been looking into that, as well. I've got the helmet, jacket, and pants picked out. For the noggin, I'd like to go with a silver Arai XD. Just tried one on at my local BMW dealer. It's an XD 3, and it fit very well. The marked price is $405.00, which seems to be a pretty good deal. For the jacket and pants, well, more big bucks here, as I want to go with the Motoport Ultra II Air Mesh Kevlar jacket and pants. Still need to take a look at boots, gloves, and undergarments.

That's it for today. Got to get ready for the first presidential debate!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:25 PM   #13
TheWorstKind OP
In the Wind

Picked out the boots today - Sidi Discovery. Should do the trick.

Looking into sleeping bags. Talk about a bunch of mish-mash information. I am leaning towards one with a synthetic fill. Though down fill has better insulating qualities, packs smaller and lighter, and may even be a bit more durable (this is debatable imho), the trouble I have with down is its moisture retention. The humidity here is really a pain in the butt, I sweat a good bit, and I have never really taken a longer bike trip without getting rained on. I just don't want to deal with the hassle of keeping the down moisture free, nor do I want to take the time to air it out (for drying purposes) on a trip.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:15 PM   #14
TheWorstKind OP
In the Wind

No luck, yet, on a good deal for a KLR. Folks still are asking way over blue book, and the two I did find at a reasoable price are a long ways away. Therefor the search continues...

Stopped by at the local BMW dealer again this weekend. He has two red GSAs. Eventually I am going to have to bite the bullet and get one, but first come the KLRs. The reason I actually stopped by was to kill about 15 minutes and check out some of the 'stuff' he has - I was liking the XD 3 for $380. Unfortunately it is black. He still had the silver one, too.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:07 PM   #15
TheWorstKind OP
In the Wind

Heart breaker today! Another fine ADV rider has put up his KLR for sale. It is an '06 lime green (my favorite), and he is asking a very reasonable $2500.00 for it. Then I looked at the location - Utah......just too far. Bummer.

On a brighter note, with cooler temps coming, more KLRs are being listed, and it seems the prices are starting to come a bit more into the realm of reality.