User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #1
Sparke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Sidecar Confidential

I want a new thread and now is the time to get it. I have been posting in the Un-official Sidecar Thread with stories about the old rigs I have had and the 1977 Goldwing/EML Sports/S I am refurbishing. Now thanks to everyone responsible for adding HACKS to BIKES, I would like to strike out on my own in the name of all interested in this old EML hardware.Sidecar Restoratios / BMW St Louis started selling EML kits and combinations around 1981, there must be a few of them rolling around out there. They were State of the Art once, and the chassis were built like tanks. Through the year the bike parts proved to be the weak link in the chain. I am curious who else is running them and how they are doing.

So I am going to start by repeating a few posts and carrying on from there

SIDECAR CONFIDENTIAL
-An old friend returns

These are the sidecar rigs I have had through the years. I have had the sidecar sickness all out of my system for the past 17 years, but now I am thinking I might build another /2 rig.

It’s not easy to predict the future…A few days latter one of these long gone old rigs reappeared on my driveway.

Back in the winter of 1983 I put this rig together. The 1977 Gold Wing had had a metal body Watsonian attached the summer before, but I wanted this EML kit that included two 15-inch car wheels for the GW and the leading link front fork. It was state of the art at the time and what a difference it made in the rigs handling. Late that spring, only a week after the rig was assembled, we headed to Montreal from Baltimore had the outfit stowed in the belly of the airliner and were off for a 4 week tour of England, Wales and Scotland. Fantastic Trip. I sold the rig to a friend 2 years later and put together another EML on a 84 Gold Wing. Through the years this first rig then passed to another friend and around 1990 I swore off sidecar-ing. Jump to today, more than a little influenced by this thread. I just today bought it back, 20 years latter. Refurbing will be another winter project.

Home again 21+ years latter. Looking good but running bad...Gots me a winter project!

After 21+ years away from home, and 2 sympathetic foster parents, my old rig has returned home. She is a 1977 Goldwing combined with a 1983 EML Sport "S". I put her together during the winter of 1983 and then shipped her from Baltimore to the UK for a 4-week tour of England, Scotland and Wales. The plan is to return her to her former beauty and prowess. Would not a 25th anniversary tour be a fine idea?

Buying back my old rig, after all these years, motivated me to put together this shadow box out of old souvenirs from the trip.

Here I am with my partner in crime on this project, I am the one in green.
Today the Goldwing was squeezed through the workshop door with only a half-inch to spare and then was quickly stripped naked. She has not been on the road for over15 years. The odometer shows about 6000 more miles then I dimly remember in 85 when I sent here away. There are 31,000 on here now. There should be lots of life left within the engine’s oxidized exterior. The last owner had planed to put her back in service 3 years ago and spent bucks on tires, brakes, water-pump and an un-successful carb rebuild that discouraged him from carrying on further. He had kept her snug and worm and the battery charged and turned the engine over occasionally these last 3 years. but the gas in the tank and carbs is left over from back then. Old wing carbs are often lots of trouble, I hope another strip-down and cleaning fixes them.

Memories flood in as I am reacquainted with the details of my rigs construction. For instance… When I went to remove the sidecar body from its frame I needed to disconnect the wiring for the lights. So I unplugged the jack I had put near lower rear s/c mount and then cut all the wire ties that went along the wire harness to the suspension side of the frame where I found another jack I had installed just so I would never have to do what I just did if I ever wanted to lift off the body.

As I look over the rig I see only a few modifications that I don’t recognize. I see that the old original points have been replaced with a transistorized ignition, An I do not like much how the wiring was routed, I will need to take care of that. Two new mirrors are mounted on the bars; they have been install in a manor I approve of. Back when I sold the rig there was a lower windshield on the sidecar, but I think I remember passing on a couple of windshields of different heights I had made. Those EML stickers were not on the body either. Back when I tour the UK on her she had 2 Krauser saddle bags and a Harley tour truck mounted on a rack I built to made to push the truck forward over the rear half of the seat and not increase the overall length or the combination. I didn’t include these when I sold the rig. I remember slapping travel stickers for the attractions we visited on the inside lid and the flag sticker of England Scotland and Wales on the back. I sold that box with the next rig I built…I sure with I still had it. So …not much has changed…. Except for my gray hairs.

Sparke screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 03:20 PM
Sparke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Sparke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sidecar Confidential

I whipped off the carbs the other day, and believe me that’s cutting a long story short. After that I didn't feel much like breaking them down ...so I just polished them up. I hoping I can get them as clean on the inside as they are on the outside. For some unknown reason I found the aluminum polishing very gratifying, so I carried on and polished the timing-belt case and valve-covers. One day soon I will tackle something more challenging.

I have been thinking I sure would like to make contact with the fellow I sold the rig to in 1984, but he has moved away from Maryland to Arkansas. Maybe someone knows him, I'll bet he is still riding, he was quite an active enthusiast. His name is Dave Martin.

Sparke screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 03:23 PM
Old 12-21-2007, 02:44 AM   #3
USMCG_Spyder
RPOC pilot

Oddometer: 5,120

USMCG_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
Gummiente
Rebel Without A Clue

Oddometer: 449
This is going to be an interesting thread, for sure. But I gotta ask.. that hinged Harley fender on the rear of the bike, was that done to facilitate removal of the pusher wheel?
CURD Head Cheese

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing the blues, it takes a moment to learn and a lifetime to master"
Gummiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Sparke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sidecar Confidential

Yes- The center-stand is still on the bike....the wheel comes right out. I also carried a tiny hydraulic jack to lift the Earls-Fork or sidecar.

All this came in handy on the last longish ride I had on the rig. I had a tire delaminate with steel cords splaying out. This happened on the Middle of the Delaware Memorial Bridge, on our way to a sidecar rally somewhere in New England. I was riding in the sidecar and the friend who later bought the rig was piloting. We had been cruising at 85+ mph, as I often did. We limped to the other end of the bridge and decided to mount the rear tire on front rim and the front tire on back rim. All by hand with two little 6 inch tire irons. Finding such a wierdo size tire anywhere nearby would have been impossible. So we trimed off the lose rubber and steel wire and turned around for home in Baltimore. Good thing we did because within a few mile the rear tire was coming apart same as the other. We did make it back, stopping several times to trim. When I called Sidecar Restorations for more tires they told me that several others have had the same tire trouble as the tires aged, there had been a large batch that were defective. When I put my second EML rig together, it had all 3 tires the same size and I carried a un-mounted spare.

This is that second rig, 1984 Goldwing /1985 EML By then the wheels had changed and EML stopped making their own brakes, you mounted the original Honda brakes, they were much better...Who has in now?

Sparke screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 03:25 PM
Old 12-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
Sparke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sidecar Confidential

To the moderators----

I don't know how I did it...But I did it. I mis-titled this thread.Before I started it I had been writing under the title SIDECAR CONFIDENTIAL and that is what I really wanted this thread to be called. I guess in the excitement of seeing this new HACKS forum, I typed the word confessions accidentally....I appeal to who ever has the power to change it to CONFIDENTIAL to take pity on me and all my giddy enthusiasm. Thanks

To everyone else---
I tore the carbs down and found "Crap-a-plenty"
Old 12-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #7
claude
Sidecar Jockey

Oddometer: 3,333
Sparke wrote:
>>>To everyone else---
I tore the carbs down and found "Crap-a-plenty"<<

Sure hope getting rid of the "Crap-a-plenty" does the trick for you. On our old '78 wing I finally gave up on the stock carbs and installed a single two barrell Weber conversion on it. Sure worked good and was simple. I think one company made one for a Holly carb also.
Note that I Just sold the Weber conversion this year.

Founder: Internet Sidecar Owners Klub at SCT
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SCT/

President: C Stanley Motorsports Inc.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...rsandTrailers/

http://freedomsidecars.com/
claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 01:29 PM   #8
Sparke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sidecar Confidential

Here is still another EML rig that was put together in the 80s and has been hibernateing for more then a decade. What a shame, the engine is locked up solid. Its only a few miles from here too...Wonder what I should do about it???

Another issue that has crossed my mind latley is the limitation of only 4 1/2 inches of ground clearance these rigs are set up with.....do you think it will be "OK" to put anADV sticker on a bike that low? Those high-tech center-hub steering riggs look to me to have even less.

Sparke screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 03:26 PM
Old 12-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 6,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparke
Wonder what I should do about it???
Buy it you fool! Make the man an offer he can't refuse.

You can never have too many outfits.

Going to catch up (after Christmas) with an old mate with an GL1100 with DJP chair and "make him an off he can't refuse"
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:35 AM   #10
Sparke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sidecar Confidential

Last night, at a Christmas party someone asked if I raced sidecars. I replied "No, not anymore, my monkey once told me leathers make my ass look big!"...........but the last straw was when he said my farts smelt as sweet as Castrol R

HAPPY HOLIDAZE

Sparke screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 03:27 PM
Old 12-29-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
Sparke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sidecar Confidential

The carbs are totally torn down and cleaned (I hope) and I just today recieved a rebuild kit from Randakks. Randakk's web site is unbelievably thorough on recommissioning dormant GWs. New OEM float valves are on their way from Honda through PowerEdge.com.

I want to pull off the headers and mufflers for a sandblast and high-temp paint job, while I am waiting for the float valves. An after-market dipstick installation complicates pulling off the timing-belt covers for a belt replacement. Best change them since the rig has been sitting all those years.

Sparke screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 03:29 PM
Old 12-30-2007, 06:20 AM   #12
Lee Bruns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Great thread

Loving the pictures and story Sparke. Thanks for posting this.
Lee Bruns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:43 AM   #13
brider
Long suffering Cub Fan

Oddometer: 162
What model is this chair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparke
Here is still another EML rig that was put together in the 80s and has been hibernateing for more then a decade. What a shame, the engine is locked up solid. Its only a few miles from here too...Wonder what I should do about it???

Another issue that has crossed my mind latley is the limitation of only 4 1/2 inches of ground clearance these rigs are set up with.....do you think it will be "OK" to put anADV sticker on a bike that low? Those high-tech center-hub steering riggs look to me to have even less.

I've got a 82 Wing with this same setup. It had the EML brakes (and they do suck) which I traded out for some K100 brakes but other than that it is pretty much the orginal setup. I'd post a picture if i knew how. Can some tell me what model EML chair it is?
brider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:47 AM   #14
Sparke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sidecar Confidential

The chair is called the "Double -Wide Family Tour "GT" here is the cover to a sales brouchure from 1984. I sure would like to know more on your K-100 brake conversion, is it calibers and discs.... How about some photos of both the front and rear brakes. There are instructions on how to post photos in "Ask Baldy".

Sparke screwed with this post 11-11-2009 at 03:32 PM
Old 12-30-2007, 08:01 AM   #15
Sparke OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sidecar Confidential

More info from the 1984 brouchore.