User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Miguel OP
off road junkie

Oddometer: 590
Question I-10, Sacramento to Florida

The missus and I (2 up) are thinking of doing a spring ride from BC to San Jose to see a fellow inmate. We'd really like to then ride the I-10 cross country to Florida and back. Is it super slab and boring like the I-5 or is there nice stuff to see and some twisties . We'd combo camp and motel the way across. Is there stuff "not to miss" along the way. BTW, it would be a KTM-950 trip so some dirt would be nice.

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage -
2009 KTM 990 Adventure R

http://www.advancedridertraining.ca/
Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:36 PM   #2
Backtrack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
The missus and I (2 up) are thinking of doing a spring ride from BC to San Jose to see a fellow inmate. We'd really like to then ride the I-10 cross country to Florida and back. Is it super slab and boring like the I-5 or is there nice stuff to see and some twisties . We'd combo camp and motel the way across. Is there stuff "not to miss" along the way. BTW, it would be a KTM-950 trip so some dirt would be nice.
I live in Jacksonville Florida which is the beginning of I10 on the East coast and can easily say that this highway ranks in the top 10 snoozers of all times. But if you can stand the boredom itís a great way to get in and out of Florida just donít expect great scenery. If you're coming to Florida and donít have a specific destination in mind Iíd come in on I10, hang a right just across the Florida border at Pensacola and pickup 98. Itís a slower road that hugs the gulf coast and passes through some nice towns along the way.

Good luck on your trip.
2007 BMW GSA,2010 KTM 450 six days, 2004 Aprilia Tuono, 2007 Suzuki DRZ 400s, 2000 Honda XR250, 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300 (sold), 2006 Suzuki Vstrom DL650 (sold), 1998 BMW F650 (sold), 2006 Honda VTX 1300c (sold)
Backtrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:42 PM   #3
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,365
+1M on the snooze factor. Texas alone will kill you. There are sections where it's 80mph posted. That is the ONLY redeeming factor. It actually makes a 300 mile "twisty" between El Paso, Tucson, and Phoenix. From Phoenix to LA, it's basically a laser-straight 4 laner. Plenty of alternatives...
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:03 AM   #4
oldxr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,071
i got paid to bring a corvette to sf bay area from orlando and ran that road.very much a snoozer.took all night to get across texas at 100+
oldxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:19 AM   #5
Miguel OP
off road junkie

Thanks for the replies. That's the same thing my mate in San Jose just told me. We'll probably just head towards New Mexico then turn around there and explore.

2009 KTM 990 Adventure R

Old 12-22-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
QualityAir
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
My riding buddy and I rode from Our homes in Fla. to my Son's Air force graduation in San Antonio, very boring on I-10 except for the gambling and broads around New Orleans. Watch for the troopers in Miss. and La. they like to sit on the overpasses and shoot (Laser) you from behind. Galveston's is fun too, great charter fishing there.

Not many other choices though in the south.
QualityAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #7
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,181
It's a swell road if you need to be a thousand miles away, though there are deer at night in Texas. I find the stretch from just east of Tucson to Balmorhea pretty damn scenic -- it's range-and-basin country -- but the road itself is.. uh.. an interstate.

I use I-10 to get to Big Bend and NM and AZ; I wouldn't really call it a 'destination highway'.

If you do cross Texas on it, be sure to refuel in Fort Stockton. And get a chicken fried steak at Isaack's in Junction.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:31 PM   #8
Jim1960
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Okay, I'm the n00b here - hello all.

Now, more directly. I think this thread has established that for his intended use I-10 sucks.

How about offering some alternate suggestions - like for starters, take CA99 south from San Jose, instead of the I-5. Then CA58 from Bakersfield through the Tehachapi apple country, to Barstow. Then you can take Rte 66, roughly paralleling I-40, all the way to just outside of Needles where you pick up I-40 east into AZ ?

All decent roads, sorry no dirt, but much more scenic than the I-5, I-10 option.

Just my n00b $0.02

BTW ............ MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

............ Jim
Jim1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
RedUly
Esse Quam Videri

Oddometer: 5,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1960
How about offering some alternate suggestions
I recently did a lap of the country, from Raleigh, NC, to Seattle, to San Jose, back to Raleigh. The portion of that report covering San Jose to Raleigh being the most relivant to your trip. From my experience, I can recommend a couple of things.

First, I really enjoyed Death Valley. It was late October when I was there, so it wasn't hot. I don't know how late in the spring you're thinking of going, but even if you pick a time when it's really hot, I think it would be worth the experience. I saw plenty of dirt there, though I didn't ride on it myself. There is camping in Death Valley. I got to Death Valley from San Jose via Bakersfield, CA. I chose that way in because the route through Yosemite had roads that were potentially closed in the winter. I hear great things about Yosemite though, so either way you go in will be fun. If you want to camp, I believe you can do that in Yosemite.

It's 140 miles from Death Valley to Las Vegas, and 277 miles from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon. Las Vegas might be interesting if you've never seen it, or if you like gambling and shows. The Grand Canyon is one of those must see things. I'm not a nature person and it still took my breath away. It's a 100 mile round trip detour to get off I-40 and up to see it, and it is definitely worth it. I believe you can camp there as well.

When I left the GC, my plan was to take I-40 west for a little while, then cut down, on backroads, across AZ and NM and pick up I-10 near the Texas border. My GC expedition took longer than I had anticipated, and by the time I got to Holbrook, AZ, where I planned to get on back roads, it was late in the day, and I didn't see the point of riding back roads in the dark. Instead, I continued across AZ and most of NM on I-40. I-40 isn't bad for an interstate in that area, and there are lots of interesting things to see if you have time to stop (my only regret from that trip is having to make it so quickly.) I got off I-40 in Santa Rosa, NM and headed south east, going through Clovis, NM and into Abilene, TX. That's not a bad route. The roads are rural enough to be interesting, but fast enough that you still make good time.

I kept drifting south east until I got to Austin, TX, where I picked up I-10. I spent two nights in TX, the second being in Houston.

Houston to Northern FL in a day is an easily doable ride. You can pick up lunch in New Orleans.

That was the route I took. I'm not saying its the best route, but I had fun on it, and I know it will be better than a just shooting across on I-10.

How much time do you have for this ride? I did that leg in 6 days/5 nights. I probably could have cut a day off that if I didn't do any sightseeing, but I'm glad I didn't try. I would have enjoyed having a few more days, but that wasn't in the cards.
I think people who are that bad at lying are probably too stupid to be taken seriously. - #18
You're a slut. But you're cute, so it's ok. - MayQueen
RedUly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:33 AM   #10
nickatnite
Poster Boy for Red Death

Oddometer: 1,897
When you get into Baton Rouge, La and come upon the I10-I12 split, STAY ON I-12!!!

That way, you will bypass all of New Orleans traffic nightmares (and some of the BR nightmares as well). I-12 will turn back into I-10 in Slidel, La.

That is, unless you just want to go thru New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
1-877-280-2337 ext 5616, ask for James Andrews
BMWMOA # 125735
2006 R 1200 Bayerische Motoren Werke Gelande Strasse (blue) the sexy color
nickatnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #11
MotoCasso
"Picasso on two wheels"

Oddometer: 9
Ocala FL to Sacramento CA and Medford OR

Good thread and info! I'm basically doing the same trip, in reverse, starting next week (Thursday, 12/27/07). This will be an unexpected return trip to Oregon, having traveled cross country in Sept./Oct. '07 from Salem, OR to Washington, DC to Ocala FL area (The Villages just south of Ocala).

I'm planning 6 days to get from Ocala to southern Oregon. Route planning is on short notice, so I need to make time,... but also like to see the scenes (e.g., US 290 from Houston to Austin, and west to I-10 vs. all I-10; US 70 from Lordsburg NM to Phoenix AZ; US 95 from Blythe CA to Needles CA and I-40/58 west to to Bakersfield vs. staying further south on the slab the entire time).

Any additional helpful hints and things to see or avoid would be VERY HELPFUL due to my limited route planning. I'm expecting some potential significant winter weather north of (Redding) Dunsmuir CA and into the Siskiyou pass on the CA/OR border.

From my experience on your post,.... all I can say is, watch your speed in LA, MS and AL. Cops have their own rules with out of state plates (maybe bikers too)!

Any tips, highlights and pointers. I'll be staying in motels, vs. the prior trip of camping. Thanks for any additional info to inform this route!
Old 12-23-2007, 08:08 AM   #12
Miguel OP
off road junkie

Excellent replies to my post . Thanks for the info. I probably won't do I-10 the entire way, but the Canyon and Death Valley are high on the list of places to see. I'll probably just point my front wheel in a particular direction and see where it goes. We have two weeks to get from BC, Canada to San Jose then to where ever, then up through the Napa Valley and home. I glad I got the Renazco ..

2009 KTM 990 Adventure R

Old 12-23-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
2dumbnotto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 464
I have traveled most of the east-west routes in this country. I feel that crossing Texas on I-10 is a badge of honor. Texas looks big when you pull into it. I was in a Firebird and enjoyed the ride. I will never do it again but I am glad I experienced that piece of road.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #14
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 970
If doing I-10 thru TX don't miss Big Bend or the Texas Hill Country. BTW I have found that outside of California, and I guess perhaps the rest of the west coast most don't refer to interstates as 'the I-10'. Simply I-10. Have fun.

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:52 AM   #15
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,755
Miguel,
Be sure you don't miss one of the best rides in the world!
From San Jose go to Montery on 101, shop Montery to keep the missus happy, then ride the central coast on two-lane HWY1. Ride to San Simeon (or is it "Simian"?) or Morro Bay. Take HWY46 from San Simeon, or two-lane hwy 41 from Morro Bay which joins 46 after 20+ miles of twisties. Go through Bakersfield on 46 and cross the south Sierras following the Kern River past Lake Isabella(I think it's hwy 178). Stop and raft The Kern! Once you've crossed the mountians you will be near Death Valley. From there head to The Grand Canyon and Monument Valley in New Mexico.
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote