User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,598
Motorcycle Jumper Cables

I've seen several references here about "jumper cables" to be carried on your bike during a long ride. It's a good idea, I think. I've already been in one situation where jumper cables would have come in handy.

But... what constitutes jumper cables? Surely y'all aren't carrying regular automotive cables. I can imagine a short length of good thick wire would be sufficient (and pack relatively small), but what about the ends? How do you connect it to the batteries?

Does anyone have any pictures or instructions on how to make good, durable, and reliable motorcycle jumper cables? I've done a search, but all I come up with is people saying, "Make sure you bring jumper cables" and no description thereof.

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
I bought these

http://www.roadgear.com/catalog/detail.cfm?Prod_ID=119

but I'm sure they could be made easily.

The current required would probably be too much for most accessory pigtails/plugs, in case you were thinking of using those to hook them up.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
swjohnsey
Banned

Oddometer: 3,568
It don't take much. I made mine out of 4 gauge zip cord about 10' long. I used some color coded clips on both ends big enough to clip to a car battery.
swjohnsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
r1150r
Out standing in my field

Oddometer: 956
Got these from a local auto parts (O'Reilly). Packs pretty small too. Fortunately I've never had to use them.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/Produ...&currentPage=0
r1150r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
crooked roads
I'm back

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
I've seen several references here about "jumper cables" to be carried on your bike during a long ride. It's a good idea, I think. I've already been in one situation where jumper cables would have come in handy.

But... what constitutes jumper cables? Surely y'all aren't carrying regular automotive cables. I can imagine a short length of good thick wire would be sufficient (and pack relatively small), but what about the ends? How do you connect it to the batteries?

Does anyone have any pictures or instructions on how to make good, durable, and reliable motorcycle jumper cables? I've done a search, but all I come up with is people saying, "Make sure you bring jumper cables" and no description thereof.

Jamie
you could use- almost- any size to charge. To start I bet #10 or 12 would work . Don't sit and crank starter long. Aligator clips on ends. I've left darn key on and drained my drz batt. Push start works even with dead batt.
crooked roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,789
I made up a set from 10ga silicone jacketed wire. There is a pigtail coming directly off the battery and connects with 40 amp Sermos connectors. When I don't need the jumper cables the pigtail powers my auxillary fuse block. All parts came from McMaster Carr. The silicone jacket is good in case you overheat them, it will not melt.

It's a good idea to solder the connection to the clips instead of depending on the cheesy crimp that will promote high resitance in the connection.

I've jumped by buddies R80G/S a number of times from complete dead with no problems.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
I bought these

The current required would probably be too much for most accessory pigtails/plugs, in case you were thinking of using those to hook them up.
+1

I have these and have USED them. I won't travel without em.
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #8
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,278
cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman
I made up a set from 10ga silicone jacketed wire. There is a pigtail coming directly off the battery and connects with 40 amp Sermos connectors. When I don't need the jumper cables the pigtail powers my auxillary fuse block. All parts came from McMaster Carr. The silicone jacket is good in case you overheat them, it will not melt.

It's a good idea to solder the connection to the clips instead of depending on the cheesy crimp that will promote high resitance in the connection.

I've jumped by buddies R80G/S a number of times from complete dead with no problems.

I have the pigtail from a battery charger connected directly to my battery. The pigtail is maybe 12 inches and the gauge is perhaps 16-18. Do you think the pigtail would handle the load for jumping if I made some 10 gauge cables like yours?
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:01 PM   #9
Gregg Wannabe
Just killing time

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
I bought these

Oops. Maybe my answer is here.
Gregg Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #10
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Wannabe
Oops. Maybe my answer is here.

Like tbirdsp said, it probably won't handle the amperage. Most of those connectors are only good for 10-15 amps mabye 20 at the most.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
Aerostich has jumper cables on sale for $12. They're 10-gauge wire.
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-16980.html

I just made my own out of some 10-gauge wire I had lying around, soldered to the alligator clips from the pigtails that come with those motorcyle Battery tenders.
Cheers
Phil
Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:18 PM   #12
Cosmic_Jumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Pennytech Jumper Cables

This ought to cost you all of $7 or $8:

Go to Home Depot and get 8 feet of 12 or 14 gauge (two lead) Low Voltage Lighting Cable from the spool in the Electric Wire Section. This is the stuff that's used for low voltage yard lights. It's very flexible. That's gonna cost you about $0.35/foot. Don't get the pre-packaged stuff, get it off the spool.

Next stop is at Wal-Mart to pick up two sets of small battery charger clamps from the Tire Section --where they sell battery terminals. That'll cost you another $1.88 per set.

Take everything home, split the wires back about 6 inches on both ends & solder the terminals to the appropriate ends of the wire, being sure to observe polarity.

If you've got any heat shrink tubing on hand you can slip some over the ends of the wires before attaching the terminals. That will stop the wires from separating further.

Remember, it's a jumper cable, not a starting cable. It's not gonna work if you try to start a car with it.
Cosmic_Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #13
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,598
Thanks for all the tips, guys. It looks like I'll just find some good thick wire and some clips and make my own. The commercial cables look good, but none of them look very compact. I want to be able to pack mine in with my toolkit.

Now... where can I get some good quality clips?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #14
jbwjim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Jumper Cables

http://www.mikesxs.net/mikesxs-tools...ategory_id=7.1

Check here.....$10.00
Old 12-22-2007, 09:38 PM   #15
Tasy's BIGJIM
CornerGrinner

Oddometer: 458
Question Jumper Cables, why?

Look I wouldn't risk the Damage to my Bm electronics by Sparking Jumper Cables? Ampage is it the same between different bikes? Its never going to go if you Fry that! I'd just Push start. I've pushed a Goldwing my Race Bike.... some carry so much not needed stuff ? Jim. ?