Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2007, 02:23 AM   #31
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,341
Just google motorcycle jumper cables and you should see quite a few results. They are simply shorter jumper cables with smaller aligator clips. 10-12 guage which is sufficiant for the length (8-10ft)

I have 3 sets. You can find them on eBay often for about $5-$10 shipped.

If you really want to save space you can just get 10ft of 10-12g cable. Dual channel of course. And on the ends add spade connectors instead of aligator clips. Small 1/4 turn on the battery bolts, slide the spades in and tighten down. So it takes an extra minute, your already on the side of the road waiting for a jump anyway. I have a set like this I usually keep on the bike.

Another option. Order 2 heavy duty SAE cables with 10-12g cable. Take the second one and add either spade connectors or battery clips. Not you can just plug right into your bikes SAE connector instead of removing your side cover\seat or whatever you need to remove to get to the battery.

The heavy duty cables are available at allelectronics as well as most RV and trailer supply companies online. They cost about $3 each and are around a foot long.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #32
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMRyder
I have a set of these in my Jesse's on the Strom.
Yuasa motorcycle jumper cables, they come with a small carrying case.

They don't take up much room at all and I have used them once when a buddy left his parking light on all night.

I don't remember where I got them but here's a link with a pic.

http://www.ridegear.com/rg/item/F-11..._pc=GBProducts
After lookng at the options posted those look like a great choice (8ga 8 feet) so I bought some as well. The link you gave is cheaper than on ebay by quite a bit, with free ground shipping.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #33
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
After lookng at the options posted those look like a great choice (8ga 8 feet) so I bought some as well. The link you gave is cheaper than on ebay by quite a bit, with free ground shipping.
Cheaper than eBay? How is $13.86 cheaper than $5?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #34
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
Cheaper than eBay? How is $13.86 cheaper than $5?
You found someone selling Yuasa jumper cables on eBay for $5?

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 12-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #35
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
You found someone selling Yuasa jumper cables on eBay for $5?
You do realize that Yuasa doesn't actually make the cables. They buy them, have a little bag made that says Yuasa and sell them at a 300% markup. I wouldn't get the Yuasa cables anyway because they are shorter (8ft instead of 10-12) and thicker than need be (8g instead of 10-12) They are also very stiff and not at all flexible, causing them to constantly come off the battery terminals. The thickness and stiffness also makes packing them a bitch. Yes I have a set I never use. Have two others that are MUCH more flexible which means they pack easier and I don't have to struggle with them when using them.

Last winter my Yuasa cables were used almost daily for a week until I bought thinner gauge cables that were more flexible, sounds odd but it really made a difference. The second cables were used daily for the next 3 months.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 PM   #36
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Wannabe
For me the answer is there are times when bump starting is not an option, like the middle of the flat, sandy desert.
That's when the tow strap comes into play... Much more entertaining

paochow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:56 AM   #37
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded
You do realize that Yuasa doesn't actually make the cables. They buy them, have a little bag made that says Yuasa and sell them at a 300% markup.//
Naw, I heard that they had their own copper mine and started from there.

garandman screwed with this post 01-02-2008 at 03:06 PM
Old 12-30-2007, 04:30 PM   #38
Nitzo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
I bought these

http://www.roadgear.com/catalog/detail.cfm?Prod_ID=119

but I'm sure they could be made easily.

The current required would probably be too much for most accessory pigtails/plugs, in case you were thinking of using those to hook them up.
I'm going to bump this since there is still some discussion on jumper cables....These work great, the price is right, they pack small.
Nitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #39
chaserkeywest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Marine Romex
Looks like standard house, white colored solid copper stuff but its really mulit-strand therefore very flexable.

You will have to contact a good marine hardware store.
chaserkeywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #40
Spacerat
I worry about my apathy.

Oddometer: 3,080
The Battery Tender I bought last year came with jumper cables included that plug right into the jack that charges the battery. I can jump my battery without even pulling the seat off.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #41
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaserkeywest
Marine Romex
Looks like standard house, white colored solid copper stuff but its really mulit-strand therefore very flexable.

You will have to contact a good marine hardware store.
+1.

When I think of "severe conditions" hardware, boats and planes are good (can't usually afford milspec crap).

Here's one example of what you're talking about:

this link

Detail:

Quote:
10 AWG /5mm², UL 1426 Tinned Boat Cable ANCOR Marine Grade™ wire is manufactured from tinned copper stranding for maximum protection against corrosion and electrolysis. Ultra flexible (Type 3) stranding resists fatigue due to ibration and flexing.

ANCOR’s proprietary premium vinyl insulation stays flexible even in extreme cold and resists salt water, battery acid, oil, gasoline and ultra-violet radiation. Exclusive insulation is rated at 600 volts, 105° C dry and 75° C wet, and is resistant to heat and abrasion.
Exceeds all UL 1426, US Coast Guard Charterboat (CFR Title 46) and ABYC standards. recommended colors, and in standard lengths from 8 foot mini-spools to 1,000 foot bulk spools.
Shudder to think what two 8-foot "mini-spools" (red & black) might cost, but .... you can will it to your grandkids

[EDIT:] it looks like it's about $1/foot, so .. with $8/pr marine battery clips, you got about $24 for bulletproof cables. Hmm.

NBeener screwed with this post 01-03-2008 at 10:50 AM
NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #42
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacerat
The Battery Tender I bought last year came with jumper cables included that plug right into the jack that charges the battery. I can jump my battery without even pulling the seat off.
Those aren't jumper cables, those are CHARGING cables. They are not designed to sustain the load of jump starting a vehicle. But it would probably work from one bike to another. Just remember to reverse the polarity of the alligator clips on the other battery. IE red clip to negative and black clip to positive on the battery. That is if your connecting it to the pigtail that is on your bike.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #43
chaserkeywest
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
YES Well NO!
The stuff I was talking about will handle 110 so ,12 volt is no problem.
It is two section,multi-strand in one plastic cover
Looks like very big lamp cord.
It is Marine grade ROMEX, In vessels solid copper would vibrate and break.
chaserkeywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #44
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 6,737
Quote:
YES Well NO!
It is two section,multi-strand in one plastic cover
Looks like very big lamp cord.
It is Marine grade ROMEX, In vessels solid copper would vibrate and break.
Volts and Amps are different animals. 110 vs 12 indicates how good the insulation is. It doesn't say a thing about how many amps a conductor can carry before it melts.

// marc
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:35 AM   #45
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
I would have someone else do all your wiring if I were you. You need to read up on electricity a bit more. Just because a wire can handle 110 does not mean it can handle a high amperage 12v load. Take a walk around the house and check the wiring coming out of your TV, lamp, radio, telephone, cell phone charger. Now take a look at the main 12v and ground wire coming off the battery and tell me if you see a difference.

If you tried to use any of those wires in your home to boost a vehicle, the insulation would melt in your hand (kinda like M&Ms except more painful)

Say your using 12g wire at about 12ft as a booster cable. Figure the load being roughly 25amps to boost. Your looking at a voltage drop of about 1amp by the time the power reaches the end of the wire. Based on the amperage, voltage drop and load. Your home wiring insulation would be dripping from start to end within about 5-10 seconds.