User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2003, 10:46 PM   #1
Doug Matson OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,706
Big Thanks to BigTwin

Just got my kevlar/carbon fiber tank protectors today and installed them. First let me say to Roger (BigTwin) thanks, they are very nice, fit and look great. They go on with a snap as they rap around the front of the tank and lock over the rear area that sloaps down. They also lock under the plastic (two bolts) that is above the tank and on the bottom where the plastic tank protector is connected (two bolts). I got the black ones and they look great on my silver 950. Thanks again Roger for your help and for the excellent product!!
Doug Matson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 11:29 PM   #2
Doug Matson OP
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a pic.
Attached Images

Old 11-28-2003, 11:48 PM   #3
Loadedagain
making chips

Oddometer: 26,730
post big pics. we need detail.... specially those of us that are up to our own carbon shenanigans lets see

btw.... carbon/kevlar inner fender 640 lc4. loads more to come. lc8 cant have all the fun.
Attached Images

Stenhouse Racing - Specializing in KTM Upgrades
custom cnc service available to suit your specific needs.
Loadedagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 11:59 PM   #4
Doug Matson OP
Beastly Adventurer

This should be bigger.
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2003, 12:15 AM   #5
Loadedagain
making chips

we're gettin there.......

Old 11-29-2003, 12:45 AM   #6
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Is CF a good material to make bashplates out of? Seems like it would be expensive and brittle. Wouldn't kevlar be a better choice for this application?
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 12:57 AM   #7
Loadedagain
making chips

Quote:
Said fish:
Is CF a good material to make bashplates out of? Seems like it would be expensive and brittle. Wouldn't kevlar be a better choice for this application?
i'm doing a bash plate right now.

the matrix (resin) is what gives you impact resistance. generally an epoxy matrix vs. a polyester based one is stronger. more layers of fibre, or added reinforcement (ie: an aluminium honeycomb) are what give the impact strength.

the fibre itself has no (none, zero, zip, nada, etc...) impact strength. it does however offer abrasion resistance and awesome tensile properties (which we wont talk about in these cases).

carbon vs aramid (kevlar tm) vs e-glass, etc.... all the same for impact resistance.

Old 11-29-2003, 07:25 AM   #8
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
Quote:
Said Loadedagain:
i'm doing a bash plate right now.

the matrix (resin) is what gives you impact resistance. generally an epoxy matrix vs. a polyester based one is stronger. more layers of fibre, or added reinforcement (ie: an aluminium honeycomb) are what give the impact strength.

the fibre itself has no (none, zero, zip, nada, etc...) impact strength. it does however offer abrasion resistance and awesome tensile properties (which we wont talk about in these cases).

carbon vs aramid (kevlar tm) vs e-glass, etc.... all the same for impact resistance.
Beg to differ:

The Epoxy matrix may prevent the finished product from shattering, but it is not the mechanism that absorbs the energy of impact. That is done by the fibers. True, modern epoxy resins have very nice mechanical properties, but the are not in a league with the fibers themselves. Which is why we measure the Tensile Strength of resins in MPa, and that of fibers in GPa. It's primary function is still to transfer the load from fiber-to-fiber.

Making something shatterproof is not the same as making it tough, resilient, and impact resistant. Safety glass does not shatter: But it is not tough. Toughness is how much energy a material can absorb in both the elastic and plastic phases prior to failure, resilience being how much energy a material can absorb in just the elastic stage, impact resistance is......a bitch. Because it has a velocity component, it also is dependant on time (does it matter how fast you sit down on a chair?), and the shape of the objects involved (it may if your butt is cone shaped). But all three terms have to do with energy. And that energy is absorbed by stretching, and sometimes breaking, Fibers, not the resin matrix.

Aramids (Kevlar) in a matrix have excellent impact resistance (they can absorb large amounts of energy in a localized area), even though on the face of it Carbon Fiber would appear to have better mechanical properties. It is Aramid's ability to take point loads locally that set it apart, which is why it is so popular for body armor and rotor-burst incursion barriers. And it should work very well when attached to motorcycles and dropped, strictly in the name of science, on rocks. It is not as light as Carbon Fiber, but it is not as expensive, either. So Kevlar is the Dog's Balls? Not quite. Kevlar has excellent properties in tension, they are only average (no better than e-glass) in compression. And these little protectors all have corners, which if (OK, when) we hit, will act as an arch, and dump the loads in compression. Which with Kevlar will be a weak spot.

Carbon Fibers have much better mechanical properties in compression than Kevlar (so they work well in rounded corners) but not the impact resistance. Why not use both? Why indeed.

Carbon-Kevlar weave

And, if using Kevlar or kevlar/Carbon, I would try to make these guards as flat as possible, using facets (two 45 degree changes as opposed to one 90 degree corner) to make changes in surface profiles. (If I had to use curves I would use generous ones, and maybe add an extra ply or two there). I know this is counter-intuitive: Our minds naturally think a round object will deflect impact better than a flat one. But sometimes if the mechanical properties are to be optimized, then flat is better.

And this is not to get anyone's panties in a twist. Just another gearhead discussion. All of these guards are well made, light, and look more than able to do the job. My hat is off to those that made them. Onya.

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori

Jinx screwed with this post 11-29-2003 at 09:06 AM
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 08:32 AM   #9
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,324
So, are these available to all AdvRides

Gerg
Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 09:57 AM   #10
Grover
Blinkenlights Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,691
Quote:
Said Doug Matson:
Here is a pic.
Looking good!

Quote:
Said Jinx:
I know this is counter-intuitive: Our minds naturally think a round object will deflect impact better than a flat one. But sometimes if the mechanical properties are to be optimized, then flat is better.
Erm... I don't think using the M-1 was really the best example. What I've read on the subject is that Burlington/Chobham armor appears on tanks in a faceted form, not because it is stronger (after all, in the tanker's world faceted armor has long been known to provide inferior protection against shells finding a good biting angle compared to smoothly rounded designs) but the very complex layered construction of this particular armor is difficult to fabricate in any form but flat plates.
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 11:42 AM   #11
BigTwin
Adventure Hound

Oddometer: 141
First of all, Thanks Doug I'm glad you're happy with the protectors. Jean-Luc and Turkish are giving them a workout this weekend.
Second, I'm not sure that Fish or Jinx realizes that my guards are made of a fabric that has both carbon fiber and kevlar.
And third, Ugh well it looks like we have at least one mechanical engineer in the group. I agree with Jinx for the most part.
This all started because I scratched my gas tank and didn't feel like spending $1000 to replace it. I had seen the picture of the guards that a friend of Barbasma had made for him and figured I could do the same. I talked to an engineer friend of mine who works on sail planes and he got me started. His thinking was that the kevlar would give me the toughness and abrasion resistance that I was looking for while the carbon fiber would supply stiffness. He felt that a good quality epoxy resin would be the best matrix for the carb/kev fabric. Polyester resin is cheaper but it is more brittle than epoxy resin. It would be a waste to spend the money on expensive fabric then lay it up with brittle resin. Tough fabric+ Tough resin= Tough tank guards.
Impact resistance? These were really made more for abrasion resistance, but it is mostly the kevlar that will prevent any type of punture from rocks or whatever, the epoxy holds the fibers in place and provides just a little bit of flexabilty.
As far as being flat or curved, the gas tanks have multiple and compound curves, and my guards fit pretty much like a glove so they are curved. I'm not an engineer but I still think that the curves make these stronger.
Hey, I'm just happy that they cover the scratches in my gas tank.
Here is a picture of the three fabrics I'm using. The natural and dark green colored kevlar have the carbon and kevlar running in both directions. The orange kevlar runs one direction only as does the carbon. The dark green and the orange turn to black and brown respectively when the epoxy is added. They would not do that if I were using a clear surfboard polyester resin.
Can Jinx or anyone coment on the effects of UV in regards to these materials?
Attached Images

Old 11-29-2003, 03:24 PM   #12
Jinx
Call me Renzo

Oddometer: 10,838
Hey, Onya mate, that stuff looks great! And the shape is fine. Sometimes I think out loud and it winds up on my keyboard!

UV is a real issue: Carbon Fiber is relatively immune, Kevlar doesn't like it, and neither do some Epoxy Resins. Actually, no Epoxy Resin likes UV, but a bunch of them come with UV inhibitors and a small percentage of Carbon Black mixed in. Check to see what you have.

Without the inhibitors, the Epoxy eventually forms a chalky white layer on the surface, which actually protects it from degrading further. And if we left it alone at that it would be fine structurally. But no one does. They say "hey, that chalky stuff looks like crap" and proceed to wipe it all off. Which promptly starts the process all over again.

But this is a well known event, and like I said, the industry has addressed in with inhibitors and additives. Of course, being in Seattle, UV just ain't much of a problem! Your sailplane buddy probably has more good insights into the whole UV protection problem, as all my experiance has been with internal parts.

And congrats for tackling a problem with insight, initiative, and a quality product! Katooms rule. The BMW tossers would still be whining about how "those Germans should really......."

"You remind me of the monkey with the jerk-off button, starving to death at the switch." - Chopperman

"I didn't know how many assholes it was going to take to piss me off, but I knew how many they were going to use" - collaboratori

Jinx screwed with this post 11-29-2003 at 03:31 PM
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 03:26 PM   #13
nomiles
Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer: 4,002
Not sure about the effects of UV on the fiber layers but UV will effect the epoxy. Epoxy used in the marine industry is always over coated with a UV filter, usually LPU (Linear Poly Urathane) paint, sometimes UV filter materail is added to the epoxy. The Sun will screw up epoxy, it starts with micro cracks and brittleness, and it turns to trash in time.

They look nice. Have you tried Vacuum bagging the parts yet to squeeze the epoxy out?

If you believe Loadedagain you can just leave out the fabric.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:16 PM   #14
BigTwin
Adventure Hound

Oddometer: 141
Easy guys, don't get the beemer dudes and Loaded started here. Actually I think Loaded knows what he's talking about, it's just that Bart and Homer temporarily distracted him. Hey let's see pictures of the skid plate project.
Thanks for the comments regarding the UV. The resin I am using is WestSystems. I went looking for a clear linear polyurathane yesterday and ended up comming home with Epifanes clear varnish with Extra UV Filters. This is what the manager of the chandlery said to use. I'm not real sure he understood the application.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:31 PM   #15
Renazco
Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer: 4,746
Hey BigTwin, Jean Luc stoped by the other day and I noticed the protetors, they look great! Are we getting close for another shipment up North ?
Renazco is offline   Reply With Quote