User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
Robb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,057
homebuilt sidecar frame?

Anyone here built their own frame? I'm itching to find a donor bike & try, then cobble together a rudimentary body for it. The goal is a 400cc to 750cc motorbike, low-speed usage (around town, picking up my daughter from school occasionally, probably won't see the far side of 50mph at any point).

I've got a couple frames sketched out, I'm just looking for general advice in a few areas, such as

a) recommended tubing size and wall thickness - I tend to overbuild, but obviously would like to keep weight down as well

b) any tips re: placement of lugs on the bike frame ... psychologically I'd like to keep two mounts "inline" at the bottom of the frame, and run the other two up at an angle, to forward of the motor and rearward of the seat ... for that matter,

c) should I be thinking "heim joints at the strut/bike connection as well as the strut/hack connection", or "heim joints at the strut/bike, and solid welds at the strut/hack"?

Figuring on using a standard motorcycle swingarm for the third wheel, shock(s) mounted horizontally from the shock mount on top of the swingarm to the frame ...

Robb
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,336
Only way to go.
'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #3
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,086
I am getting ready to do the same thing. XR650L planning on a rectangular hoop under engine, front motor mount bar to car, rear foot peg area to car. Keep me posted on yours. I'm doing a trials looking car with just a box/seat and grab rail, but using a swingarm and 18in rear from a XT Yamaha.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Mounting a chair frame to the bike you will want all attachment points to be solid but adjustable. There is a lot tuning to be done to get the rig set up correctly. All angle of lean and toe in must be done between the chair frame and the bike frame thus at the attachment points.
The rule of thumb I always used was 1 degree lean of bike toward the chair, and 1 degree of toe in. was a good place to start.
Is there any other ideas on better ways to start setting one up ??????

Also has any one used a "rubber axle" for a sidecar suspension.
What I mean is a torsion tube, where one square tube in inside another separated by rubber, with the swingarm on the inner tube and the rubber acting as the spring. If any one is doing this or has what was used as donor parts?
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
USMCG_Spyder
RPOC pilot

Oddometer: 5,124
Andy, how about some shots of her sitting level? Interesting looking car you got there. I tried looking through your Smug but you got a zillion pix on there

USMCG_Spyder screwed with this post 12-26-2007 at 02:04 PM
USMCG_Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #6
Andy-Gadget
Any bike can go anywere

Oddometer: 1,336

Not mine anymore.

Current project (embrionic) is a sidecar wheel drive outfit, still aquiring the bits, no photos yet as nothing is built yet.
'95 Sport 1100 Guzzi,'84 Cali 2 Guzzi, '95 Guzzi mille, '84 R65LS, '84 R100, '82 R100RS, '05 DL650, '72 Bultaco Sherpa T 350, '78 Montessa 348, "00 XR650R
Andy-Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 08:03 PM   #7
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairsmith
Mounting a chair frame to the bike you will want all attachment points to be solid but adjustable. There is a lot tuning to be done to get the rig set up correctly. All angle of lean and toe in must be done between the chair frame and the bike frame thus at the attachment points.
The rule of thumb I always used was 1 degree lean of bike toward the chair, and 1 degree of toe in. was a good place to start.
Is there any other ideas on better ways to start setting one up ??????

Also has any one used a "rubber axle" for a sidecar suspension.
What I mean is a torsion tube, where one square tube in inside another separated by rubber, with the swingarm on the inner tube and the rubber acting as the spring. If any one is doing this or has what was used as donor parts?
Most people lean the bike AWAY from the chair. I used a trailer torsion axle for one of rigs I built. THis article will give you a good general idea of what I did when I put four rigs together for my classes. Pretty standard stuff.
http://adventuresidecar.com/ASSFLEET..._the_fleet.htm
You can get the slip joints, heims, struts and other mounting hardware from most sidecar riggers, including Dauntless Motors, Side Strider and Claude who posts here.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #8
hairsmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Most people lean the bike AWAY from the chair. I used a trailer torsion axle for one of rigs I built. THis article will give you a good general idea of what I did when I put four rigs together for my classes. Pretty standard stuff.
[IMG]http://adventuresidecar.com/ASSFLEET..._the_fleet.htm[/IMG]
You can get the slip joints, heims, struts and other mounting hardware from most sidecar riggers, including Dauntless Motors, Side Strider and Claude who posts here.
Glad you caught that ! "Excuse" that was 20 years ago I set up my last one.
And if I would have taken half a min to think about what I was typing I might have bin smart enough to catch it.
How do you feel about the torsion axle on the one you built?
Hairsmith
hairsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairsmith
How do you feel about the torsion axle on the one you built?
It's OK. Cheap and easy. I used one from a 1000# set and it seems about right for the lightweight hack on a KLR.

The assembly is pretty heavy.Which isn't entirely a bad thing as the weight is exactly where you would want it for effective ballast( the same is true for using heavy pieces for the chassis-it is an easy way to build it strong and the weight down low works for you).

Jay was using some with a splined arm which allowed him to adjust the axle height. That would be a real improvement over what I used, but I don't know where he got them.

Old 12-27-2007, 03:12 AM   #10
TouringDave
Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer: 7,004
Andy, interesting front end on the GS, any more pics of the body?
TouringDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:32 AM   #11
Robb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Great info here .. .a couple of those pics are more descriptive than anything I've found Googling!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,978
What's going on with that front end? What is that and why?

Forgot who asked, but Steib used to hang the body from big rubber bands/donuts. Worked well until the rubber rotted.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #13
Robb OP
Beastly Adventurer

I wondered the same thing .. I'm guessing the loop is there to prevent the tire from contacting and grabbing the side of the car during a sharp left-hand turn, izzat correct?
Old 12-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #14
Robb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oops .. left-hand turn, I meant.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #15
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Looks like he just moved the axle forward to reduce trail and thus reduce steering effort. I'd guess he made the axle carrier a big U to help brace the front end to deal with sideloads and twisting. Looks like the tub may be mounted to the chassis with rubber bushings. Stout, simple easy to build- nice overall design!

I wonder how the toe in is set? Dont see any lateral adjustment in the lower mounts?