ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
Garand OP
Keeper of Useful Sarcasms

Oddometer: 679
990 High Fender Mod Question... Brake Lines?

What are you guys doing with them? Hell has anyone actually completed a high fender mod on a 990?

I've used the magic Forums Search button, I've even used the Google "site:advrider.com" searches and can't find a thing specific to the 990! I can find numerous people asking for 990 help, but all the threads I find are all hijacked by someone explaining how they did their 950 conversion which doesn't really help because the starting brake line configurations are so different.

Notice the difference in the "stock" brake line routing in the pics below.

The brake lines on the 990 don't actually run directly up to the handlebar mounted brake lever, but instead run up each fork, join at a
"T" splitter mounted at the bottom of the triple-tree then route back to the ABS control unit under the seat. The large "S" shaped bends in the brakelines look to be designed to absorb the movement in the lines as the suspension does its thing.

If I follow the 950 mod lead, I think I'll be binding up the suspension when I straighten out the brake lines to install the SX85 Fork Guards... maybe putting lots of stress on the brake lines with the suspension, better explains the problem.

Has anyone worked out a viable solution?

990 Brake line routing

950 Brake line routing...
Garand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 09:16 PM   #2
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,607
In both cases (950 and 990), the line needs to be able to flex-off excess hose when the suspension is compressed and also to have just enough excess hose for when the suspension tops-out.
The 950 hose uses up excess hose on compression by having the hose flex upward at the triple clamp/handlebar area. Since the 990 hose isn't going straight up to the bar it uses the 'S' curves at the fork tubes as a place for the excess hose to go when the suspension compresses. My 950 SM works the same way. I believe you should be able to do the high fender mod with the stock brake line configuration. Essentailly you already have the dual brake line conversion that many of us 950 owners convert to. You just need to make sure that when your stock hoses flex under suspension compression that they don't flex inward toward the tire or that they don't have enough length to do something like hook on the rear edge of the high fender. My SM does come with a small inner/lower fender in addition to the high fender but it is essentially just a splash guard and does not guide the brake lines at all.
Experiment. Take off the stock lower fender and compress the suspension to see where the brake lines go. Then do 'stoppies' in the driveway and have a friend watch the lines under load. If it looks safe at that point, I'd start to take some tentative rides to check it out.

Good luck,
Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:20 AM   #3
mackley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Have a look at this link it shows the parts needed
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238966

All you need are the guide and rubber grommet from a 950 for each side to keep the brake line away from the wheel.

A MAN MUST HAVE HIS TOYS
mackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:35 AM   #4
smitty141
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Would someone be kind enough to post the part # for the parts needed... I am also wanting to add a high fender kit (black) on my 07 990... Thanks Smitty
smitty141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:55 AM   #5
Garand OP

I just ordered these parts

60013025050 - RUBBER FOR BRAKE HOSE GUIDE03 - QTY 2
60013025100 - FRONT BRAKE HOSE GUIDE - QTY 2
5900109400030 - FORK PROTECT. L/S R/S BLACK02 -QTY 1 (BLACK SX85 Fork guards)

I previously bought an Orange Super Enduro Fender with the mounting hardware from KTMTwins, that I'm going to fit up to my Black 07 990.
I like the shape of the SE fender better that most, and decided to give the Orange a try, figured I could dump it in the Flea Market if I didn't like it or apply some black Fender Graphics to cut a bit of the orange out if it was to much.. BUT, after just holding the fender in place I think I'm going to like it. A few of my buddies also think it looks pretty good.

I'll post detailed pics of my completed project, complete with all part numbers as soon as I've got it all mounted up.

Watch this space.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #6
aurel
Cheese&Wine!

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
Watch this space.
Good! A step by step installation would be great!

World Tour finished! http://www.the-great-adventure.fr
aurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:42 AM   #7
rgmax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
I just did a high fender conversion on my 07 990.

The biggest problem is that there are no fork guards that bolt on without modification. On the 990 they changed the bolt spacing where the guards bolt on the front of the fork, so they require additional modification compared to a 950. I ended up making metal brackets that reinforce the attachment points.

The brake line routing is completely different on the 990. I didn't see any safe way to keep the brake lines inside the fork legs without the possibility of the tire rubbing the lines even with wire guides.

I modified the the factory brake line mounting bracket on the bottom triple clamp to angle the brake lines past the fender (I used a EXC fender) and routed the brake lines outside the fork legs to keep them out of the tire.

I've had the bike off road and so far no issues.

I'll try to post some pics when I get home tonight.
rgmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:17 PM   #8
VTvfr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
Quote:
Hell has anyone actually completed a high fender mod on a 990?
That's what I want to know.
Just brought the '07 home today and wanted to get the parts on order.
Dealer un-bolted the SE-R fender and test fitted it, but it looks like it'll need about 1/4" spacers to bolt up.

Also wondering about the brake lines.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A COMPLETE PARTS LIST NEEDED FOR THE 990 CONVERSION????..... SOME PICS WOULD BE NICE TOO

This topic (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238966) just says parts from an '02 SM, but the only fender I can find is RED

Oh yeah, and I'm looking for the BLACK front fender.

Thanks in advance
VTvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,864
When I did the high Fender mod on my '06 950 I had to put 1/4" spacers on each of the fender bolts to clear my crash bar mounts. Picked them up at Home Depot. Sorry, PN's for ya. I used the regular KTM desert fender and took my RotoZip to the back of it for cooling.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
Quote:
I previously bought an Orange Super Enduro Fender with the mounting hardware from KTMTwins, that I'm going to fit up to my Black 07 990.
What exactly does the mounting hardware in this kit include? When I asked them - they said it was just the bolts ...
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:51 PM   #11
Garand OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
What exactly does the mounting hardware in this kit include? When I asked them - they said it was just the bolts ...
Yeah just the 4 bolts and the little spacers

Part number:
58408009050 - SPACER BUSHING FRONT FENDER
0014060203 - HH COLLAR SCREW M 6X20 WS=8

buying all the parts separatly only would've saved me about 2 bucks, so I just got it all from one place.

Numbers 5 and 6 on this diagram
Old 12-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #12
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
Quote:
Yeah just the 4 bolts and the little spacers

Part number:
58408009050 - SPACER BUSHING FRONT FENDER
0014060203 - HH COLLAR SCREW M 6X20 WS=8

buying all the parts separatly only would've saved me about 2 bucks, so I just got it all from one place.
Excellent. Thanks.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #13
rgmax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Here are some pics of my 990 high fender install.

The SX85 fork guards that I and everyone else uses only have one hole that matches the 990 fork leg.

I drilled an addtional hole to match the 990 spacing. I stretched the hole on the side with a heat gun but ended cutting it off, it just wasn't solid enough.

I made a bracket from some stainless I picked up at a hobby shop. I used one pop rivet per side to attach it. Its solid.

I had to trim the ABS sensor mount to allow mounting the fork guard.

I routed the brake lines and ABS sensor wire outside the fork legs. The brake lines lightly rub the upper fork tubes, so I will probably get two wire guides and grommets from a 950 and see how that works.

One thing I don't have is a picture of the brake line bracket on the lower triple clamp. I basicly cut the center section out of it and bolted the pieces back on seperately. I rotated each piece to allow the brake line to clear the fender. I'll try to get a clear pic and post it.

Heres the parts list. It's pretty inexpensive.

1 50308010300 KTM Front Fender Black $23.99
1 4700109400030 FORK PROTECTOR L/S R/S 85SX 03 $17.50
4 59001092050 SPECIAL SCREW M6X12.5 WS=8 $1.00 ea.
4 0014060203 HH COLLAR SCREW M6X20 WS=8 $1.54 ea.
4 54808020000 SPACER BUSHING $1.95 ea.
2 Stainless metal strap from hobby store $1.95 ea

rgmax screwed with this post 12-27-2007 at 08:07 PM
rgmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:34 PM   #14
Garand OP

Excellent!!

I'll probably follow your lead with the SS strap for the fork guards.

btw, I installed the SE fender tonight, which didn't exactly "bolt right up" as advertised. I'll detail what I did tomorrow when I can get the pics off my camera (cable is at work).
Old 12-28-2007, 01:05 PM   #15
Garand OP

OK.. I installed the Super Enduro Fender lastnight.

The first thing I did was pulled the two upper sides off the bike so I could see to work. I then noticed that when I was trying to hold the new fender in place that the brake line "T" bracket was in the way, so I removed the two screw that secured it to the top of the tree.

Now that I had everthing out of the way, I ran into a problem.
The SE fender would rub on the radiator fins if I just tried to bolt the fender up. I noticed in the SE parts diagram that the little metal bushings that I got with the fender were installed differently on the front and rear pairs. If you look closely at the diagram you can see that the flange/rim is oriented differently.

So I played around with that and realized that you could change the fender angle slightly, but still not enough for full clearance.

After trial and error I ended up putting the rear bushings on top of the fender and the front bushings mounted top down.

Rear Bushing

I simply remounted the brake line "T" Guide with the aid of a few 30mm screws and some 1/2" Nylon bushings from Lowes.

fender comparison shot

The fork guards and brake line guides have shipped from the parts house, so as soon as I get those I'll document what I ended up doing on that front as well.

That orange fender sure makes the bike look different, don't you think?