User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
ID Stolen OP
Working Stiff

Oddometer: 13
Question '08 KLR touring mods

I'm setting my KLR up for touring this summer, so far I've changed sprockets from 15/43 to 16/42 which has made a world of difference on the freeway, completely different manners in the 100-125kph window. 1st is a bit tall but I never bought it for a trail bike, just something that I can take on the gravel without wondering about clay and precipitation.

I've added the kawi saddlebags and handlebar bag, the handle bar bag is pretty handy, I'm currently working on wiring chargers for my cell and mp3 player into the handlebar bag. my next decision is on a windshield, the stocker makes a racket that I can't duck under, it looks like the airstream is striking the sides of my helmet which is kinda new. how many guys are using the kawi tall windshield? if so, does it cut the noise? or do I just buy a stash of earplugs?

anything else I should look at?

thanks!
ID Stolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 867
Just curious - but how much did that mod bring down the RPM's at say 120kph? I think I'm going to get a KLR, but I spend a lot of time riding between 70 and 85MPH, and I have a feeling the stock gearing won't work too well.

Other than that mod, I think she'll be good. Oh, and what about heated grips? any reco's out there? Oh, and better tires for 90% road riders?

Thanks, g-
Old 05-10-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
White6Romeo
Because Im Awesome

Oddometer: 320
Cool2 Mods

I have an 08 and one of my favorite mods was installing a custom Corbin dished seat. At a 33 inch inseam I needed all the lowering I could get without sacrificing any of my bikes trail capabilities. GIVI Top case and wolfman soft luggage has been a godsend so far. The guys at Happy-Trail.com have a great selection of guards and such.

I agree with the other fella about the tires. The stockers arent too great for strickly pavement. I will be running Tourances for my trip from Alaska to New York this summer. Untill then Ive got the stock Dunlop up front and a Sahara 3 on the rear.

Rock Roll And Ride
White6Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
hoyks
Tightass KLR rider

Oddometer: 810
I have the taller screen, but at 6' 4" it just wasn't tall enough. It was better than the standard, but I was still getting a lot of bufferting around my head.
I moulded a piece of perspex and taped it to the top of the tall screen and that helped a lot. When I get some time I will make a single piece screen that looks a little less ... um ... agricultural.
hoyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #5
rider33
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,001
I recently installed anti-vibe risers and it made a world of difference at higher speeds:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=338164
Old 05-10-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
ID Stolen OP
Working Stiff

it worked out to a %10 reduction, I'm pulling 4000rpm at 110kph. the bike has just enough power to hold moderate hills, cruise and accelerate. in fourth it pulls about 200rpm above what fifth used to be. first is pretty tall, redline shiftout is 70kph, I might try to grab a little extra horsepower if my fuel economy allows it, it was 50mpg mixed hiway/city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e_young
Just curious - but how much did that mod bring down the RPM's at say 120kph? I think I'm going to get a KLR, but I spend a lot of time riding between 70 and 85MPH, and I have a feeling the stock gearing won't work too well.

Other than that mod, I think she'll be good. Oh, and what about heated grips? any reco's out there? Oh, and better tires for 90% road riders?

Thanks, g-
Old 05-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Excellent - I didn't know Tourances would fit a KLR650. They are GREAT tires, period.

The 10% reduction sounds about perfect; where did you get your new sprockets? Also, did the top speed go up? Or is top speed drag limited even with stock gearing.... I do worry that at 80 MPH the vibes may drive me nuts, but I've read the 2008 is quite smooth, so I hope that's true ;-o.

Dealer called and said they have a blue one in stock; hopefully I can work out a deal with them. This bike has exactly 1/3 the HP of my last bike, so I hope it's fast enough...

Thanks!

g-
Old 05-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
White6Romeo
Because Im Awesome

Thumb Tourances and such

Metzeler ceratainly does make Tourences that fit KLRs. I have a set in the backseat of my car right now. Im gonna eat up my Sahara before I put the Tourances on. As far as the 08 KLR at 80mph, its great. I rode from fairbanks to Denali park at around 80 most of the way and I didnt have any vibration issues. The windshield definatly needs some improving. I talked to a bunch of 08 KLR owners and 80% of them say the OEM taller windshield is the way to go. Theres a few out there on the market but Im gonna go with the Kawi one, of course they're on back order so who knows how long its gonna take. Gotta love shipping in Alaska.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,471
Here you go! Michelin Anakees in the 19/17" combination. The front is a 110 and the rear is a 150. The bike now has Supermoto like handling. It's been a total tranformation.

SamM

SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
ID Stolen OP
Working Stiff

I couldn't get the 16T locally so I ordered it from KLR650.com, I was able to order the 42T (JT) from a local shop, cost me about $80 for both when you add in the shipping. I rung it out on a paved county road, top speed was 155kph, pretty much drag/power limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_e_young
Excellent - I didn't know Tourances would fit a KLR650. They are GREAT tires, period.

The 10% reduction sounds about perfect; where did you get your new sprockets? Also, did the top speed go up? Or is top speed drag limited even with stock gearing.... I do worry that at 80 MPH the vibes may drive me nuts, but I've read the 2008 is quite smooth, so I hope that's true ;-o.

Dealer called and said they have a blue one in stock; hopefully I can work out a deal with them. This bike has exactly 1/3 the HP of my last bike, so I hope it's fast enough...

Thanks!

g-
Old 05-11-2008, 01:10 AM   #11
White6Romeo
Because Im Awesome

Hey SamM what kinda hand guards do ya got
Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
mechnoman
wrenchn

Oddometer: 187
Guards

I have the same guards.....SW Motech..purchased from twisted throttle..a little pricey but excellent fit and function...you get what you pay for..
mechnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM
Here you go! Michelin Anakees in the 19/17" combination. The front is a 110 and the rear is a 150. The bike now has Supermoto like handling. It's been a total tranformation.

SamM

Wow, your bike looks totally sweet! Tell us about the wheels and the screen. Also, why did you go for Anakees rather than Tourance's? Thanks, g-
Old 05-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
I went with the oem tall WS and BMW 1150GS handguards.

Old 05-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #15
g_e_young
Studly Adventurer

Oh, has anybody installed heated grips on a KLR and can recommend a brand? I've gotten used to BMW heated grips and now I'm a pussy.

Thanks, g-