Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Bob On This OP
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Question White Rim Trail in Moab

OK,
First, let me apoligize if this subject has been beat to death, but here I go,

My wife and are are planning on riding the White Rim Trail in Moab, UT next summer.
We have been running the usual trails around Moab for many years (in a jeep), but, this will be our first trip with our bikes.

KLR650 for me
KR250 Sherpa for my wife.

Here are my questions:

First, are motorcycles allowed on the White Rim trail? Web pages differ on this???
Second, should we (wife) have the range needed, or will we need to carry extra gas? the Sherpa carries 2.4 gallons.
Do we need to reserve camping spots?
Does anyone have Garmin waypoints on file?
Any sugjestions on the trip?

Thanks for any info you might add.

Bob
Bob On This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
mtlee
Adventurer-to-be

Oddometer: 83
Bob -

I was looking into this trip and had to postpone due to my son's not having his license yet. But what I found in my research:

Motorcycles are absolutely allowed on the WRT - there are several recent posts in this forum.

Reservations are highly recommended if you're going to camp. Call and talk to a ranger at the park - the guy I got on the phone was extremely pleasant and helpful, and was very willing to work with me to find open dates.

Distance is about 145 miles around, depending on where you access and leave.

Have a great time - I'm looking forward to doing this trip sometime in late 2008 or 2009 when Jake has his license.

Mike
Old 12-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,965
You must be plated/streeet legal for the WR. If you start up at mineral bottom rd its around 105 miles. Probably want some extra gas for the sherpa?? You need reservations if you plan to camp along the white rim trail.
The bummer part about the camping is that your not allowed a campfire. And the spots are really nothing to exciting IMO.
I wouldn't recommend riding it after May 1st or before October 1st, too hot.
HAve a blast!!!!

Oh yea a couple more things, I like to ride the WR clockwise. Overall the rougher stuff and better scenery is found in the first half if you go CW, making for a nice mellow, more high speed finish when you might be getting a little tired.
And watch out for the rangers trying to enforce the ridiculous 15mph speed limit.....I've seen them driving at twice that speed. I've only ever seen one ranger on the rd at any given time so If you see one, your probably safe for the rest of the day....

enduro-ince screwed with this post 12-28-2007 at 06:15 AM
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
The Rangers have a DRZ400 they sometimes use.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:37 AM   #5
Scary Mc
hellgrammite

Oddometer: 3,709
Don't roost the mountain bikers.
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then.
Scary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:43 AM   #6
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,582
I rode it this past july, let me see if I can attach the tracklog. Its 2454 track points, if thats too many for your gps just let me know and I'll filter it down to 1000.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx White Rim track log.gpx (334.1 KB, 90 views)
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #7
Bob On This OP
n00b

Thumb Thanks

Thanks Guys,

Look like we might try for the frist part of May.

Thanks for help

Bob
Old 12-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #8
rokklym
one man wolfpack

Oddometer: 4,427
Also, isn't there a "prefered" direction to run it? I've read it a thousand times but can't remember.
Chad Berger DR650, KTM 990 Adventure R
Lone Wolf Expeditions
rokklym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,787
My recommendation is starting at Island in the sky, and descending the trail toward the CO river first. Can't remember the name of this descent off the top of my head, but it equates to a clockwise loop.

Beautiful ride, just remember how many other people are out there so a quiet bike and restrained wrist are a must.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Thumb

I read that clockwise is the better way to do it. I haven't done it, yet , but hopefully may soon. Just remember that while riding a motorcycle there, you 'represent' all of us and courtesy goes a very long way . I found that to be true everywhere I have been BTW.
Have fun!!!!!
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 01:40 PM   #11
canadasax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob On This
Thanks Guys,

Look like we might try for the frist part of May.

Thanks for help

Bob

I will down in Moab the first week in May. I have never been there before so I have no idea what to expect.
I am a little nervous about going around the trail by myself. If it works out I would love to join you and your wife for the ride around white rim.
I ride a KTM 950 and I will be running knobbie tires.
If you and and your wife are on your second honeymoon or something and you want to be alone, please feel free to say so.
My wife will be in Moab with me, but she does not have her own bike so I was planning on doing the WRT solo.

Ken
canadasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:32 AM   #12
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 4,965
I wouldn't stress to much about doing it solo. Your wife will know where your at, and there will be folks about, especially on the weekend.

Also another good thing to know about the WR. If you do run into trouble and you are by yourself remember that there is quite a few lookouts on the rim above you. I've been out there solo and stopped for a snack, figuring I was all by my lonesome out there. Then I started hearing voices, I figures some mt. bikers were approaching, but I could see the rd for miles and couldn't spot anyone. Just when I was about to lose my mind over these voices in my head I realized there were folks whistling at me from the Grand View point. Its probably a good idea to know where these overlooks are in relation to the rd. in case you need to yell for help as you lay there with a broken leg, no water and with vultures circling.

Take tons of water for a May ride on the WR....

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadasax
I will down in Moab the first week in May. I have never been there before so I have no idea what to expect.
I am a little nervous about going around the trail by myself. If it works out I would love to join you and your wife for the ride around white rim.
I ride a KTM 950 and I will be running knobbie tires.
If you and and your wife are on your second honeymoon or something and you want to be alone, please feel free to say so.
My wife will be in Moab with me, but she does not have her own bike so I was planning on doing the WRT solo.

Ken
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:49 PM   #13
Bob On This OP
n00b

White Rim

Thanks for all the input, and you guys are right about the loud exhaust. Like I said, we have been jeepen the Moab area for years, and have done some overnight trips on the Golden Spike and the peace and quite is priceless.

We would love to have some company when it comes time, no problem.
We are planing on a two day trip. It can be done in one, but we will be doing the side canyons as well.

I did some searches and found that clockwise is the best way to go, and you can start up on Islands in the Sky and drop down, or pick up the trail from the Potash Mine.

Some have recomended that you carry enough gas to run the trail backwards to get out, if there is a road closed from landslide or washed out. athough I feel if you check in with the rangers before hand, they should know if the road has problems.

I have also heard, and I have some first hand info as well, if you take a cell phone, they acually work if you can find a spot with a "line-of-sight" with the La Sal Mts. A flight plan left with a friend is always a good thing..

I am pumped up about this ride, should be a blast.

Bob
Old 12-30-2007, 11:44 PM   #14
MotoRogue
pLAys wELL wiTH oTheRs

Oddometer: 119
Rode the White Rim in May last year. It will be an all day ride so, unlike our sleeping in mishap (which put us back to base camp around midnight), I would leave early, take your time and take in the sights. It is a very long ride timewise, but I believe it is only approximately 110 +/- miles. It is unnerving riding it in the dark and the temp really can drop. You will be fine on the KLR and probably the Sherpa but take a syphon tube just in case........

Watch the weather because if you get dumped on it gets very slick. We saw very few people on the WRT and it is remote and unforgiving so plan accordingly.

Moab is a wonderful place to ride with a great vibe!!!

Have fun and be safe.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:02 AM   #15
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,582
I didn't see a single person when I rode it in July, it took me a total of 7 hours to complete. 143 miles with an average speed of 20mph.

KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is online now   Reply With Quote