Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #31
fano
here and there

Oddometer: 641
here is a report from last year on big bikes. it was lots of fun! especially mud

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=white+trail

05 KTM 450 MXC , 01 Triumph Tiger 955i
04 KTM 950 ADV , 00 Husaberg 501FE
04 GasGas TXT300 PRO , 70 Jawa 250
fano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #32
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro
It depends on your skill. It is certainly doable on an 1150, but at times, there are significant stretches of soft sand, and there are always lots of rocky bits that would take caution on that bike.
I am thinking about doing this route this year as well on an 1100gs with buddies on 1200gs's. I have seen the reports and I have looked at the trial from the Island, but can someone compare the actual riding to some of the Colorado passes so I have a better frame of reference? Is it similar to Weston, or more similar to Georgia or what?

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 AM   #33
Scary Mc
hellgrammite

Oddometer: 3,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJWPC
I am thinking about doing this route this year as well on an 1100gs with buddies on 1200gs's. I have seen the reports and I have looked at the trial from the Island, but can someone compare the actual riding to some of the Colorado passes so I have a better frame of reference? Is it similar to Weston, or more similar to Georgia or what?

Thanks.
I think it is hard to compare the Wite Rim to any alpine passes... If I had to venture a comparison I'd say it's like engineer . Just a helluva lot longer, sandier and remote. I'm sure others will have better comparisons...

If you have two days on the big GS's you'll be fine. One day would proably be fine also, just hurried. Also, there is no way in hell I would do the White Rim without some sort of knobby tire. Tourances will make your life hell, IMHO.
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then.
Scary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:24 AM   #34
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance
I much prefer going counter-clockwise. Then you do the heavier deep sand washes and the tougher stretches first and can just cruise the easier side on the way out. Plus, going clockwise, the sun (shining in your face) follows you around all day long. One more thing, when you get done, it is a quicker ride down Potash Road to cold margaritas in town.
agreed!!! the descents are full sun this direction if moisture is an issue.

-the ride out to & down mineral bottom to the river is easy (even with moisture). can be done via paved road as if you're heading on the main paved tourist road to island in sky/canyonlands OR out potash, right/up jug handle arch canyon (i prefer going up) to the main paved island in sky road, go right and then a left at mineral bottom entrance road (more fun this way than all that paved tourist road).
-at the bottom the section of road along the river is sweet, but can be muddy.
-hardscrabble then has a shaded up then a slow going downhill, but that descent has full sun so it'll be dry.
-next is all the sand which is nice to get over with.
-murphy's hogback will have a straight steady climb (which could be wet) and a dry (full sun) descent.
-the rest is up and down with the views getting better around each corner. section with drop off to the right is amazing.
-at the interesection go right for potash road and moab (my preference and still more great terrain (you would go past jug handle arch this way) or straight (longer way) to have fun going up the mesa (shafer trail) to the paved road of canyonland park and then either a long paved ride back to moab or back down to the river via jug handle arch (at the top of shafer it becomes paved, go right, then right at the turn towards the jug handle descent).

bring suplies, plenty of gas, and latitude 40 maps:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:34 AM   #35
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:

Thanks.
plenty of loose rock, sand, off-camber turns, drops and dips, ruts etc.

it's long but doing it one day is best as camping requires bring all that gear & weight. i did it on a klr and even that was too heavy imo. tkc-80 are a must!!!! camping/loaded big GS would be death. one day on big GS would be a long day (as you need to go slow). it can be done but plan for it, expect dumps and expert riders only. 250-650cc are best for this ride as well as most of moab off-road. optimal riding for covering the distance needed is 2-3rd gear standing on the pegs most of the time. i don't see this happening with those bikes.
Butler Maps website:
Old 01-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #36
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary Mc
I think it is hard to compare the Wite Rim to any alpine passes... If I had to venture a comparison I'd say it's like engineer . Just a helluva lot longer, sandier and remote. I'm sure others will have better comparisons...

If you have two days on the big GS's you'll be fine. One day would proably be fine also, just hurried. Also, there is no way in hell I would do the White Rim without some sort of knobby tire. Tourances will make your life hell, IMHO.
Thanks, I think that helps somewhat. I also appreciate the note about the tires. I usually ride Tourances and have had luck with them on all kinds of rocky stuff, but that probably won't work well in all of the sandy stuff.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #37
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
plenty of loose rock, sand, off-camber turns, drops and dips, ruts etc.

it's long but doing it one day is best as camping requires bring all that gear & weight. i did it on a klr and even that was too heavy imo. tkc-80 are a must!!!! camping/loaded big GS would be death. one day on gig GS would be a long day. it can be done but plan for it, expect dumps and expert riders only. 250-650cc are best for this ride as well as most of moab off-road.
Thanks.

I think I will have Tourances on the ride this spring, so I might just have to skip WRT this time around and explore some of the other areas. How would they do on Potash and Shafer?
Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #38
eakins
Butler Maps

Quote:
Thanks.

I think I will have Tourances on the ride this spring, so I might just have to skip WRT this time around and explore some of the other areas. How would they do on Potash and Shafer?
better as there is less sand. you could ride out potash and do the east part of the white rim to mussleman arch or beyond some and then come back and go up shafer and out on the paved road. you'd get a nice taste of things. another trail that is doable is onion creek out and back and kane creek to chickens corner cut off to the top of the hill and back.
Butler Maps website:
Old 01-14-2008, 12:46 PM   #39
boybunting
connect nothing

Oddometer: 8
start early or camp on the trail

hey! you are going to have a blast! my friend and i did it with fully loaded 650's during a two week trip...there was a third guy we had to baby sit, and that was the only downer...we camped out there and loved it...waking up there and starting another's day ride like that is amazing...although it could also be fun to leave everything in a hotel room, start early as hell before it gets hot, and travel light around the rim by bringing not much else than water...and then having a room and a hot tub to go back to...i brought two gallons of water, and drank it all and was glad i had it...also, "the desert bisto" is one of the best restaurants in the country...make a reservation for the night you are coming off the trail...you won't be sorry...cheers!
boybunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #40
WilderRider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
better as there is less sand. you could ride out potash and do the east part of the white rim to mussleman arch or beyond some and then come back and go up shafer and out on the paved road. you'd get a nice taste of things. another trail that is doable is onion creek out and back and kane creek to chickens corner cut off to the top of the hill and back.
Thanks for the suggestions. We might just do that. Plus there is still so much to see around there. I am only taking a long weekend from Denver, but I could spend weeks.

Another question for the experts, is mid-to-late April a good time? My research suggests that it is, but my riding companions think it might be too cold at night camping, especially if we do it at Dead Horse. Anyone have thoughts on that?
Old 01-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #41
Scary Mc
hellgrammite

Quote:
Another question for the experts, is mid-to-late April a good time? My research suggests that it is, but my riding companions think it might be too cold at night camping, especially if we do it at Dead Horse. Anyone have thoughts on that?
I think it would be perfect. "Too cold" is relative...
It's a friggen motorcycle, it's not supposed to be comfortable, quiet or safe. The windnoise is supposed to hurt your ears, the seat should be hard and riding it should make you shit your pants every now and then.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:50 PM   #42
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
Quote:
Yes, there are a lot of places to gauge how comfortable you are with your abilities and equipment before committing to the WRT. Ride out on Potash Road, then up the Shafer switchbacks to the top and back down. That will tell you what you want to know. After riding up the Shafer switchbacks on my fully loaded 1150GS with Tourances, I came back next time with my DR650 to do WRT and had a much better time than I ever would have with the big pig...

Whatever you do, if you start to get over your head, simply turn back...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:19 PM   #43
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,025
Quote:

What a novel idea. One day, this summer, I'm gonna try that.
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #44
Scary Mc
hellgrammite

Quote:
Crazy talk!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 AM   #45
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince
What a novel idea. One day, this summer, I'm gonna try that.

I usually wait to get into trouble until I've passed the point of no return...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote