ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,287
Transamerica trail

Is there a GPS route tool for the Transamerica trail rather than the roll chart by Sam Correro, which can be cumbersome on the handlebars? I hope Sam will introduce a better mapping device to cover the entire trail via download on any GPS.

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 05-24-2011 at 05:54 PM
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abendteuerfahrer [B
download on any GPS[/B].
Therein lies the problem. Think about it.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abendteuerfahrer
Is there a GPS route tool for the Transamerica trail rather than the roll chart by Sam Correro, which can be cumbersome on the handlebars? I hope Sam will introduce a better mapping device to cover the entire trail via download on any GPS.
Sam's maps (with the exception of Oregon) are good enough for you to sit down with Mapsource and the Roads and Rec or Topo Maps and create your own tracks.

I don't anticipate Sam changing anything about the route anytime soon. Anyone who has ridden the Western TAT knows that many of the maps and rollcharts are in dire need of updates, but if you ask Sam he tells you everything is OK.

I thought about this and came to the conclusion that this is just fine and Sam as the creator of the trail is also the custodian. There is only one Transamerica Trail and it is what it is. Parts of it are being closed every year for various reasons, if you want to experience it as close to the original as possible you better not wait. The TAT is a great adventure. I certainly enjoyed my two weeks on the trail. I hope Sam leaves it just like it is. Buy the maps and roll charts and ride the TAT, you won't regret it.

Jim in Sacramento
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
Tifosi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Sorry can one of you provide a link to purchase the maps and roll charts?
Tifosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
JimC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifosi
Sorry can one of you provide a link to purchase the maps and roll charts?
http://www.transamtrail.com/
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:46 AM   #6
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Greetings,
Roll charts aren't for everyone, myself included.
Hopefully someone will soon provide the market with a GPS friendly version of the trail, while compensating Sam for his time, so we can all move on.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #7
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
You get a nice detailed map with the charts. It is not hard to sit down and transfer these maps to mapsource. I did this and had it all transfered to GPS in two evenings.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se
Greetings,
Roll charts aren't for everyone, myself included.
Hopefully someone will soon provide the market with a GPS friendly version of the trail, while compensating Sam for his time, so we can all move on.

ktm950se
There is no "market" for GPS tracks since they can not be copywrited. As soon as your tracks hit the Internet, your investment is lost. Just look at the CDR!

I provide tracks for my Roll Chart rides but as soon as one appears on the Internet without my permission there will be no more trqcks for my rides.

On Mexico to Canada, riders must turn in the roll chart every night to get the one for the next day. They must aalso gree to erase the tracks each day and not keep a copy.

The answer above is the way to go, if you want tracks draw them from Sam's maps.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #9
MotoJim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Copyrights & Track Logs

Jerry, I think you can copyright track logs. In fact, once they are published they are copyrighted by default. Enforcing the copyright is another issue.

Each track log is like a finger print. If you have a track log that has say 500 points it is very unlikely than someone else can duplicate that track log exactly. So if their track log is exactly like yours, I think you would have a good chance at proving the track log was stolen from you.

Creating a track log becomes the intellectual property of the author as a byproduct of their effort. You cannot copyright a highway or public road but I think you can copyright the dots representing that highway or road. It's much like a photograph only a different medium.

Now this does not prohibit someone from creating their own track log of the same roads. (I suspect this is what you really mean) In this case, it would be highly unlikely that the track logs are exactly the same even though they could be used to navigate the same route.

I can take a photograph of Monument Valley and copyright it. Someone else can take an almost identical photograph and it will not violate the copyright of my photograph.

Most people are too lazy to create a track log.

So Jerry, if I rode one of your dualsport events and somehow captured those track logs and put them out on the internet without your permission, I think I would be violating your intellectual property rights by doing so and be subject to penalty.

On the other hand, if I had a really good memory and upon returning home fired up my mapping program and created my own track logs, I think I would be less subject to penalty.

I agree with you that once someone posts a track log to the internet as a free download, it potentially devalues any copyrighted versions of the same route.

Someday, there will be a copyright infringement case related to track logs. If anyone knows of one, I would like to know about it.
MotoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,979
Check it out: 10 Big Myths about copyright explained

http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html

ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:55 PM   #11
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,159
Maybe AAA should produce a TAT TripTik?

Keep it like it wuz.

byways screwed with this post 12-29-2007 at 12:14 AM
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #12
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Anyone who has ridden the Western TAT knows that many of the maps and rollcharts are in dire need of updates
Greetings again,
This is the very point. Even if I can, as Jeff states, "sit down and transfer these maps to mapsource... I did this and had it all transfered to GPS in two evenings...," does doing so really make the most sense? Not if Sam's map info is no longer current. Why not have someone who most recently completed the trail share their GPS data so others can have the best chance of completing it in a timely and safe manner? And even if I did transfer the map data to mapsource, as Jeff sugggests, what's to prevent me from freely sharing that with others, as so many are afraid will happen? Well, its this: Adv. riders, for the most part, are stand-up individuals, and not prone to stealing. I'm sure the vast majority would pay for the use of TAT GPS data if it was available. Look at all the ride reports where so many of us have gone way beyond what non-Adv. riders would do to help out our own. I'm certain this spirit of honor and assistance would extend to the use of Sam's, and others', specialized GPS data as well.
Aren't you?

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #13
Vinnie the Snake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,093
the ride

I do not see the issue, I bought the maps, spent my time working my way thru the maps, created my TAT on Mapsource and put in my GPS. If I came to a dead end or a closed area, I just worked my way around and went on. Most of those were bridges out, washed roads, or major screw up on my part.

I found that 99 percent of the trail is correct, the other parts were just a challenge and added to the excitement of the trip. I also used google earth to verify gps data, points, tracks and other. Little home work went a long way. Actually found several other ways around obsticals and had that info just in case.

My suggestion, get the maps, learn the maps, put the data in the GPS, follow the TAT as close as possible, and deal with the issues as they arise, learn the area 30 miles either side of the route for emergency, and have a great ride.

It took me three evenings to build the route and get comfortable with the info.

Below is the partial ride. Have done other sections on my XR650L

2007 - Vintage TAT Ride - OK, NM, CO - ADVrider
Vinnie the Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 AM   #14
KneeKicker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,628
Call me crazy, but I think the roll charts make it more fun. Hey it's an adventure.

"I got so drunk last night I woke this morning and someone had shit my pants" Ron White
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #15
Monty_Burns
Excellent.

Oddometer: 1,277
DRM Protection of GPS Tracks

It'd be nice if the makers of mapping software and GPS devices would support a form of DRM protection to allow people (like Sam) to sell GPS tracks without fear of them getting passed around the Internet without getting compensation for their efforts. I know there are ways around this approach and I'm sure someone else has already thought about it. I don't mind paying for maps and guidebooks. I wouldn't have any problem paying for GPS tracks either when the creators have gone to an effort as great as the one required for TAT.

My $0.02.
Monty_Burns is offline   Reply With Quote