ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 07:40 PM   #151
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypert2
Thanks Jerry. I have a Map Source Trip and Waypoint Manager CD that came with my GPS. I downloaded it but think I am having trouble "unlocking" the maps. Guess I will give Garmin a call in the morning.
Trip and Waypoint manager is the "program" without any maps. Lets you move tracks, Waypoints, and Routes from internet to GPS but you can't see stuff on good map background on PC. You need to buy a map set.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #152
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
Old fart needs help.

Bought Sam's maps and have been able download into to my zumo 450 and ride over half the trail into Utah.

Now I'm getting to the trails with dashes that are not shown on Mapsource.what is the best way to bridge the gaps where the roads are not shown.

There has got to be some way to put reference marks on the turns and have them show on Mapsource??

Will the Topo maps help?

Any help would be appreciated.
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:38 PM   #153
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t
Old fart needs help...Now I'm getting to the trails with dashes that are not shown on Mapsource.what is the best way to bridge the gaps where the roads are not shown.

There has got to be some way to put reference marks on the turns and have them show on Mapsource??

Will the Topo maps help?...
There are a couple of ways to make the TAT useable on a GPS.

From your question it seems that you have been following the TAT using a ROUTE and have now reached the point where it will not route along portions of the TAT. In other words, the TAT is showing up but your GPS will not automatically follow it. Is that correct?

Most folks solve this problem by drawing and using TRACKS on the western part of the TAT. That doesn't give you turn-by-turn directions but just a line to follow.

You could also just enter waypoints as a help and use those in combination with Sam's roll-charts.

When I was mapping out the TAT for our trip last year I used City Nav North America 2009, Topo 2008 and Google Earth to help me draw the TRACKS and locate the turns so I could put waypoints at each turn. This worked for my Garmin 276C. Not certain how your ZUMO will handle it.

A little more information from you might be helpful: which ZUMO, are you using MapSource or BaseCamp, etc.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #154
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm good with the routes and tracks,the problem is how do I know where to place the waypoint when the mapsource page is blank.No roads or other info to coordinate with.

I can look at the turns on Sam's maps and google maps,but they don"t show up on Mapsource.

I'm using mapsource but also guessing I need topo maps or something else to overlay so I can mark the turns.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #155
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon
There are a couple of ways to make the TAT useable on a GPS.

From your question it seems that you have been following the TAT using a ROUTE and have now reached the point where it will not route along portions of the TAT. In other words, the TAT is showing up but your GPS will not automatically follow it. Is that correct?

Most folks solve this problem by drawing and using TRACKS on the western part of the TAT. That doesn't give you turn-by-turn directions but just a line to follow.

You could also just enter waypoints as a help and use those in combination with Sam's roll-charts.

When I was mapping out the TAT for our trip last year I used City Nav North America 2009, Topo 2008 and Google Earth to help me draw the TRACKS and locate the turns so I could put waypoints at each turn. This worked for my Garmin 276C. Not certain how your ZUMO will handle it.

A little more information from you might be helpful: which ZUMO, are you using MapSource or BaseCamp, etc.
I think that is where the problem lies. My understanding is the Zumo automatically imports a track by "converting" it to a route. I can't remember if there is any work around on the Zumo for this, but that is the trick.

Will the Zumo allow you to create a direct route "and not follow roads?" That may be another option too?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:33 PM   #156
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
TAT..Sam and Dustypath..

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear
It looks like I was wrong if this info is correct. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=garmin+memory

It states that Sam is going to Oregon this June to update the map. This is good news and I'm looking forward to getting the update.

However, if I can run the TAT this year the update won't be available so my request for Oregon updates still stands.
Maybe this is old and posted somewhere but I just acquired this info yesterday where Sam and Dusty Path have come together and updated the New Mexico, Nevada and Oregon trail sections. For those concerned with the Oregon section will be please to hear that it's available via rollchart and maps of greater quality and clearity....they can be purchased from below:

So see and read: www.dustypath.com
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #157
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...I can look at the turns on Sam's maps and google maps,but they don"t show up on Mapsource.

I'm using mapsource but also guessing I need topo maps or something else to overlay so I can mark the turns.
OK...

PM me or post up here a couple of the turns you can't see --- just identify them by the state and the mileage from Sam's roll charts and I will compare them to what I did and maybe figure out how I did it.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

Old 07-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #158
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Many experts of trail rides: Countdown; Bluelighning; AugustFalcon, etc, etc, have explained this before regarding tracks and routes on GPS'es and think that this has been beaten to death. I've tried everything to make my ZUMO 450 behave and accept "tracks" drawn from Sams maps that were glued to Mapsource. Transfer them to the ZUMO 450... No dice! If there is no road on the GPS mapset it will draw a nearest route diverting you from the TAT.

Be good and helpful to yourself and get a better "track" friendly GPS like the 60CSx. Draw (track) your TAT maps onto Mapsource and send them to the 60CSx (equipped with 4G microSD card and load North America NT 2011 from a DVD) or equivalent "track" accept friendly GPS but not THE ZUMO 450.

Leave the Zumo 450 at home for paved streets.

Yes, however it is possible to do the entire eastern section using "routes" to New Mexico with the Zumo 450 BUT not the western "track" neccessary section.

Abenteuerfahrer screwed with this post 07-28-2010 at 04:57 PM
Old 07-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #159
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
PM me or post up here a couple of the turns you can't see --- just identify them by the state and the mileage from Sam's roll charts and I will compare them to what I did and maybe figure out how I did it. __________________
OK,Utah map #8

Kanosh UT mile marker 465.94

the trail appears to go south on rt 133 and turns off onto Main St,which dead ends shortly thereafter and the trail continues as a dashed line that turns west and shortly thereafter connects with another road.
My mapsource does not show the roads between the dead end on Main street and mile marker 480.75..

I know the road is actually there,because its shows on google maps..

Its probably going to be a no-brainer when I get to that point,probably just follow the road,but I would like to be able to make a track across that section and mark any possible turns(hard to mark turns when they don't show on the map.)

Hope i'm making it clear ..
Old 07-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #160
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

UPDATED TAT charts for...NM, NV, OR.....

2010 New Mexico, Nevada and Oregon TAT roll charts and maps have been updated with DUSTY PATH in cooperation with Sam. He explored these areas last June. These new updates can be purchased from DUSTY PATH with proof of Sam's chart purchase. I am sure the rest of the States would eventually also be updated but I think the eastern sections are reasonable simple enough.

Access the site here: www.dustypath.com
Old 07-28-2010, 07:48 PM   #161
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
TAT Oregon updates

The TAT Oregon updates have been posted here -

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=8

- since the beginning of March.

Based upon my discussions with Sam at the time, I know he was planning some other updates as well.

Glad to see that he made it out there and got them done.
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #162
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
OK,Utah map #8

Kanosh UT mile marker 465.94

the trail appears to go south on rt 133 and turns off onto Main St,which dead ends shortly thereafter and the trail continues as a dashed line that turns west and shortly thereafter connects with another road.
My mapsource does not show the roads between the dead end on Main street and mile marker 480.75..

I know the road is actually there,because its shows on google maps..

Its probably going to be a no-brainer when I get to that point,probably just follow the road,but I would like to be able to make a track across that section and mark any possible turns(hard to mark turns when they don't show on the map.)

Hope i'm making it clear ..
N38 43.410 W112 32.483 is the location of UT 475.95. Damned if I can figure out exactly which mapset I used to locate it --- might have been topo 2008. That's on the other computer (this one's hard drive crashed after I dropped it onto a concrete floor twice in about 10 minutes from about 3 feet and I didn't reinstall topo 2008 on this hard drive yet)--- Sorry, its 1 a.m. here so I'll check it out tomorrow.

If I recall correctly I would use whichever map I could see the road/trail on to locate the turns and drop the waypoints. Usually started with CityNav, then topo2008 and finally GoogleEarth as a last resort.

I had no waypoint at the turn off but the track as ridden goes the way it should have.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

Old 08-02-2010, 03:12 AM   #163
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,746
Your best bet on mapping the TAT is to use Topo, or an old copy of Roads & Rec. Current road oriented products, like City Navigator will likely be missing some of the smaller, older roads.

As you have found out, the 450 will not handle tracks in their native form. That said, there are a couple threads in the forum you can search and find on how to create custom maps for the 450 which would allow you to create what would look like a track, but the process is pretty complex and takes multiple pieces of other software.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #164
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Picked up copy of Topo maps 08.Works great..ought to be easy from here.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 05:12 PM   #165
lzempjr
Humpies from Hell

Oddometer: 25
Changing the topic

Some buddies and I are putting the TAT on our radar for next summer. We are all experienced riders, but have never done any sections of the TAT. If you only have two weeks, where would you start and where would you end . . .
lzempjr is offline   Reply With Quote