ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #166
Abenteuerfahrer OP
Deaf on Wheels

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzempjr
Some buddies and I are putting the TAT on our radar for next summer. We are all experienced riders, but have never done any sections of the TAT. If you only have two weeks, where would you start and where would you end . . .
Experienced----!!!!.....then start in Jellico, TN to Trinidad, CO.....store bike....come back next season and do the rest in May or June 2011
Abenteuerfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:42 AM   #167
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,746
And yet again, I have pruned the "Support Sam/It's Evil to Share Tracks" discussion and moved it here: The TAT - Supporting Sam, Copying maps, Copyrights, and so forth - Discuss

Feel free to carry on the discussion in that thread.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #168
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
And yet again, I have pruned the "Support Sam/It's Evil to Share Tracks" discussion and moved it here: The TAT - Supporting Sam, Copying maps, Copyrights, and so forth - Discuss

Feel free to carry on the discussion in that thread.
The debate may go silent for a while but it will never die.
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #169
Steez
USMC Infantry

Oddometer: 203
GPS File Depot .com for Trans America Trail

Forgive me if this has been covered, but has anyone utilized the state topos hosted by gpsfiledepot.com for all the entirety of the Trans America Trail? I'm about a month and a week away from my start date, and have yet to start uploading my waypoints--Just got my maps today! I'll be using a 60Csx

Is this even possible? And, if so, what are the disadvantages? And how would one go about using different maps along the trail?

Sorry...this gps stuff confuses me
Old 05-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #170
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,086
This is one thread about TAT

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...+america+trail

Very few people like topo maps in tha 60/76. I would go with City Nav or better yet find a copy of Roads & Rec.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #171
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
This is one thread about TAT

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...+america+trail

Very few people like topo maps in tha 60/76. I would go with City Nav or better yet find a copy of Roads & Rec.
Agreed!
Once you draw your tracks in Mapsource, hit "select maps around tracks". This will only load the maps that you need to complete the TAT.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #172
Steez
USMC Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
Agreed!
Once you draw your tracks in Mapsource, hit "select maps around tracks". This will only load the maps that you need to complete the TAT.

Is this possible in basecamp? I'm running a mac...

Thanks for the help!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #173
mrprez
KJ4WMZ

Oddometer: 1,265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steez View Post
Is this possible in basecamp? I'm running a mac...

Thanks for the help!
When you send your map to the device it will ask you if you want to send the maps around the route. Check the boxes for maps and track.
mrprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #174
Steez
USMC Infantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
When you send your map to the device it will ask you if you want to send the maps around the route. Check the boxes for maps and track.
Thanks! I definitely owe a lot to the people of this website.

So another question, if you guys don't mind: Has anyone ran the entirety of the tat on the CityNav or WorldBasemap alone (no topo or rr)? After everything I've bought in preparation for my trip (about 2 years accumulation so far) money is getting more and more of a factor (just bought my maps and boots-$$$), not to mention the fact I am just a college student living off my G.I. Bill.

I will be utilizing GoogleEarth, CityNav, Sam's maps and rollcharts, and my 60Csx to create my tracks. Note I say tracks-not routes.

Is this possible in your honest opinion? I would prefer to do the ride without bringing the paper maps or charts
Old 05-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #175
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop View Post
Agreed!
WOW! Never noticed that in the pull down. Learn something new all the time.

I hand selected all the topo maps for my Mex2Can route, a fairly big job but only had to do once since I saved that selection.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #176
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Has anyone ran the entirety of the tat on the CityNav or WorldBasemap alone (no topo or rr)?
I think CN will do it, but you will know when you start drawing tracks. I would keep an eye out for R&R on e-bay, it is very cheap. It will have all roads & trails for sure.

There is a free download of some R & R equivalent set of maps floating around but not sure they are for MAC. R & R is just USGS 1:100,000 maps.
Edit, fouind it:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/
Old 05-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #177
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
...So another question, if you guys don't mind: Has anyone ran the entirety of the tat on the CityNav or WorldBasemap alone (no topo or rr)?...I will be utilizing GoogleEarth, CityNav, Sam's maps and rollcharts, and my 60Csx to create my tracks. Note I say tracks-not routes...Is this possible in your honest opinion? I would prefer to do the ride without bringing the paper maps or charts
Absolutely possible --- topos are not needed on the trip. They are helpful when creating the tracks but not even necessary then.

When my son and I did the TAT in 2009 I took photos of Sam's maps and kept them on the camera just in case we needed them as backup.

Still I would suggest some paper maps and a compass for at least the western portion --- gps devices can fail for many reasons. My son and I had 3 gps devices; two of them failed - one as a result of a big off by me and the other was a software lockup bricking the device. The 76cx kept working.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #178
intothenew
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
I have run it to Utah with NT only. Properly set up, you don't need a map at all. That is, assuming things go as planned. You can use track, or route, or a combo.

BUT, DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT A HARDCOPY AND COMPASS.

Shit goes sour. I carried a hard copy, of the TAT, scaled down for reference. I carried state maps for reference also. You better be able to get my ass to a hospital or beer, not necessarily in that order.

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #179
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
State maps

I've done the TAT twice, both times without carrying Sam's maps or rollchart.

What I did carry, however, was state highway maps marked up with the general location of the TAT. I also put the milage of the towns along the way and where gas/food/lodging along the way was located.

If you know where motorcycle dealers are located, add them too.

That way if you get into trouble, you can pull the state maps out and figure out a way out - the nearest town/gas/lodging/parts/whatever.

They take way less room then all of the roll charts / maps, and you're GPS will generally get you out to a road to get somewhere.

I like the idea of taking pictures of some of the stuff too.....

Oh, I carry a spare GPS preloaded with maps,routes, tracks, waypoints...
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #180
Brent4ADV
Enjoying empty roads...

Oddometer: 1,006
TAT maps

We did the entire TAT running CN. There are parts where you're running on tracks only but it's not bad. I rode with my dad and he had a GPS as well so we had two units. If I were going to ride it alone then I'd have a backup GPS. It would take much less room than the paper maps + roll charts. We did carry some local maps of areas in CO and UT just in case we wanted to detour.

In addition, I had an excel spreadsheet on the top of my tank bag that had the starting/ending cities, mileage to food and gas, total mileage, and the phone number for the hotel/motel for each day. Also, I had a POI for every KTM dealer (we both rode KTM's) along the route, loaded on the GPS.

The topos are definitely not necessary. The pictures of the maps and stuff is an interesting idea. I carried a computer during my trip as well so I had Bobcat (now Basecamp) loaded on the computer so we could make any trip changes and also to update this wonderful site every night.
Brent4ADV is offline   Reply With Quote