ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2010, 10:39 PM   #1531
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Brian
Any local dualsport forums?
What types of bikes work well for purely offroad here?
How hard is it to plate a "dirtbike"
How far from Greensboro should I expect to go before I can get into some gravel roads that have trails running off of them?
What are the better dealers and shops in the area?
Are there any MC tracks around? I have 2 sons with 2 smokes that will be out here this summer and I'd like to take them out riding. Tracks and/or riding areas..
Welcome to the area. There are several of us DS types on ADVrider, CarolinaRiders.com and Thumpertalk forums. Good places to ride are Uwharrie OHV, Brown Mtn OHV, Brushy Mountain Motor Sports. There are a lot of good gravel roads between Lenoir and Jonas Ridge. There is a good MX track in Yadkinville called Thunder Valley. Have not been there in several years so make sure the still around before you go. If you want to head further South you have Carolina Adventure World and TNT near Chester, SC. As far as plating a dirt bike in NC, it's pretty tough. As far as good dealerships, not to familiar with Greensboro but our buddy Kevin (screen name WickedThunder) over in Lenoir owns a motorcycle parts and accessories store called Wicked Thunder. He rides DS with us a lot and can help you out.
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #1532
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne
I'm not a drying rack dammit! I'm a dual sport motorcycle! Do you hear me? Drr yrr rr mffh?
displaced by a piece of yellow plastic
Old 01-31-2010, 04:14 AM   #1533
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValveCrusher
I would sooooo love to pull that kayak with a 660 Raptor FI.

Or even a 4x4 compact truck....
any takers?
Been there, done that, almost bit my tongue off.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:58 AM   #1534
Flyin Brian
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Thanks guys! I was so hoping that I wouldn't hear you gotta drive an hour to get to the goods.. Guess it's gonna be a bigger dualsport for me. Once I find a ride I'll be hitting you up for a tour...
Just gotta figure out which bike to get.. I'm thinking either a 950 KTM or another BMW Dakar. If I'm really lucky maybe I can score a Honda transalp through work.
Flyin Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:03 AM   #1535
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Hey guys, I've been on Advrider for a couple years now and have never ventured this far East so I don't know the area at all. I just moved to Greensboro for work (Honda Aircraft) and I'm looking forward to getting to know a whole new part of the country. I don't know anyone out here so I was hoping a post on here would get me started with meeting people.
Couple of questions...
Any local dualsport forums?
What types of bikes work well for purely offroad here?
How hard is it to plate a "dirtbike"
How far from Greensboro should I expect to go before I can get into some gravel roads that have trails running off of them?
What are the better dealers and shops in the area?
Are there any MC tracks around? I have 2 sons with 2 smokes that will be out here this summer and I'd like to take them out riding. Tracks and/or riding areas..

Thanks in advance for the help guys. Looking forward to getting out in the woods here. Oh, and I'm looking for a bike. I'm thinking a bigger dualsport for getting to know the area and maybe a smaller/older bike for the offroad days.

Cheers,
Brian
As far as "better dealers and shops" good luck. Ive had dealings with about every dealer in the piedmont (HP W-S and Gboro), some good, mostly bad. Don't know what brand of bikes you ride, but I'd say the only dealer I would deal with if I had too was Mid Carolina powersports in Burlington, theyre high volume and can sell at reasonable prices, and if im not mistaken they sell the big four plus aprilia maybe something else cant remember. If you like honda, Cycle center in asheboro is a very good honda dealer. If you like KTM, better learn to work on it yourself cause the only dealer I know of is or was stroud honda ktm in g-boro, and I heard that they lost their honda franchise, Im sure the whole place will shut down eventually, Ive never heard anything good out of their ktm service dept anyway.

As far as MX Tracks theres probably a dozen of them within an hour of greensboro. No decent amount of gravel roads anywhere around the piedmont, you'll have to ride toward the mountains like wanderer said.
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 06:12 AM   #1536
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Thanks guys! I was so hoping that I wouldn't hear you gotta drive an hour to get to the goods.. Guess it's gonna be a bigger dualsport for me. Once I find a ride I'll be hitting you up for a tour...
Just gotta figure out which bike to get.. I'm thinking either a 950 KTM or another BMW Dakar. If I'm really lucky maybe I can score a Honda transalp through work.
If its b/t BMW and KTM and your worried about dealer support, Id definitely consider the BMW, theres a BMW/DUC/Triumph dealer on Randleman Rd in Gboro that Ive heard good things about...
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:12 AM   #1537
bpg
Off Trail

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Seeing as you're coming from OR and having seen its terrain vs NC's (I have a sister in Portland) - those are HUGE bikes for east coast dirt riding (IMHO). They'll get you down a dirt road fine and some of the easy trails, but for some of the riding areas mentioned (Uwharrie, Brown & Brushy Mountains, the general Smoky Mtn area) you might end up hating life in the gnarly stuff. Just browse through this thread for examples of typical riding...

A 650 (XR, DR), KTM 5xx/6xx, etc. might work out better - minimal bodywork, lightweight (compared to the GS/950), much more controllable in the hairy/rocky/snotty terrain w/ lots of tree & brush encounters. Now bear in mind this is just an opinion, and we all know the deal w/ those. I just mention this because I once thought a Transalp or F800GS type bike would be an ideal "dual sport". I found this not to be the case...

All that said, even a 650/etc. can be a handful in some of the terrain - to get truly off-road while still making it fun, many use 350/400/450's and even lowly 250s. While I wouldn't ride across the country on mine via interstates on purpose, it's more than adequate for all-day road and trail expeditions like you mention. Plus, any of these smaller bikes are easy to toss on a trailer or a hitch-mount bike carrier for really long excursions/camping trips/etc.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

bpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 AM   #1538
bpg
Off Trail

Quote:
Thanks guys! I was so hoping that I wouldn't hear you gotta drive an hour to get to the goods..
There may be some local riding, but nothing "official". Go to Google maps, click on the satellite view, and start zooming in on utility lines, rural roads, etc. You'll see trails plain as day. Get on your bike and see if they're posted/gated or not, and have a ball.

here's a bunch of trails just N of G-boro: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...17123&t=h&z=16
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

Old 01-31-2010, 07:35 AM   #1539
Flyin Brian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg
Seeing as you're coming from OR and having seen its terrain vs NC's (I have a sister in Portland) - those are HUGE bikes for east coast dirt riding (IMHO). They'll get you down a dirt road fine and some of the easy trails, but for some of the riding areas mentioned (Uwharrie, Brown & Brushy Mountains, the general Smoky Mtn area) you might end up hating life in the gnarly stuff. Just browse through this thread for examples of typical riding...

A 650 (XR, DR), KTM 5xx/6xx, etc. might work out better - minimal bodywork, lightweight (compared to the GS/950), much more controllable in the hairy/rocky/snotty terrain w/ lots of tree & brush encounters. Now bear in mind this is just an opinion, and we all know the deal w/ those. I just mention this because I once thought a Transalp or F800GS type bike would be an ideal "dual sport". I found this not to be the case...

All that said, even a 650/etc. can be a handful in some of the terrain - to get truly off-road while still making it fun, many use 350/400/450's and even lowly 250s. While I wouldn't ride across the country on mine via interstates on purpose, it's more than adequate for all-day road and trail expeditions like you mention. Plus, any of these smaller bikes are easy to toss on a trailer or a hitch-mount bike carrier for really long excursions/camping trips/etc.
Glad to be getting some feedback, thanks guys. I'm looking for opinions rather than facts so keep them coming... I realize that the bigger bikes are a handful in the dirt. When I got back into riding over in Oregon I got a Dakar with the thought of going on longer trips (overnight etc). With all the local riding in Central Oregon I found myself beating the crap out of the Dakar (suspension wasn't ideal for serious offroad). I ended up selling the Dakar and got a 640 adventure which was more offroad worthy. The 640 was great for the open desert but was still too heavy for the single track I ended up on for most rides. My last bike was a DRZ (E model) that had a plate and it worked pretty good for what I was doing. That being said I realize that I'm gonna need 2 bikes (oh damn ). I want to use the big bike to explore the whole area and I'll load up the smaller bike for the woods riding.

Also, thanks for the input on the dealers around here. I noticed a lack of KTM dealers here. If you go to a race over in Oregon it's a sea of orange out there. IMO if you have a KTM you better have a dealer around cause they require more work than the other bikes. I'm not knocking KTM's just saying...

Anyway, I need to get a bike soon as I'm going through withdrawls not having one in the garage.
Thanks again guys...
Old 01-31-2010, 07:51 AM   #1540
Flyin Brian
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg
There may be some local riding, but nothing "official". Go to Google maps, click on the satellite view, and start zooming in on utility lines, rural roads, etc. You'll see trails plain as day. Get on your bike and see if they're posted/gated or not, and have a ball.

here's a bunch of trails just N of G-boro: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...17123&t=h&z=16

Sweet, just what I wanted to hear!!! Powerlines are always fun!!! Finding the goods is one of the best things to do. I spent 4 years riding in the Central Oregon Cascades and found new single track almost every ride. Looking forward to exploring the area.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #1541
bpg
Off Trail

Gotcha - 2 bikes is a great "problem" to have!

Regarding KTM's - Weird thing is there are also tons of orange bikes here, even just at a typical day at the OHV park, and especially at a race. Judging from comments always mentioned re: dealerships (apparently they're not impressive), most the guys just work on their own.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

Old 01-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #1542
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpg
Gotcha - 2 bikes is a great "problem" to have!

Regarding KTM's - Weird thing is there are also tons of orange bikes here, even just at a typical day at the OHV park, and especially at a race. Judging from comments always mentioned re: dealerships (apparently they're not impressive), most the guys just work on their own.
Yep, two bikes is the way to go if you can swing it. I try to do everything on one bike (KTM 950SE), and there are places where I'm just not comfortable. I need to add a woods bike to the stable.

As for KTM dealers: the only really good one, Cycle Goodies in Winston-Salem, closed about 3 weeks ago. I don't recommend owning a KTM unless you do all your own wrenching.

"Good motorcycle dealer" is becoming an oxymoron, I'm afraid. The BMW dealer in Greensboro is excellent, though, in my experience.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:55 PM   #1543
Flyin Brian
Gnarly Adventurer

I do all my on wrenching for the most part. Only thing is... I don't normally like to buy parts online unless someone local doesn't have it or is asking way to much for it. I try to support the local shops as much as I can.
Leaning toward the Dakar more and more based on the comments about the local dealer and the fact that I've already owned one and know it in and out. Of course that means I'll have to replace the forks on it though. Nice little project IMO.
Hmm, next step will be a smaller bike.. If I don't get one the kids will be bummed that Dad isn't riding with them. Is there any chance of getting a KTM 300 plated here? Or does the emission requirements kill that? Anybody have any luck bringing a plated dirtbike to NC and getting the plates transfered without much hassle?
As always I really appreciate everyone's help for the new guy.
Cheers,
Brian
Old 01-31-2010, 04:08 PM   #1544
bpg
Off Trail

It's very common to get a bike plated in a more lenient (less Gestapo...) state and transfer it into NC. While a semi-nanny state, NC isn't Kalifornia, yet.
'02 Honda CBR1100XX

Old 01-31-2010, 07:46 PM   #1545
Wanderer13
2009 Trail #81 Champion

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Is there any chance of getting a KTM 300 plated here?
Brian
If you find one, let me know. That is my dream DS bike.
Wanderer13 is offline   Reply With Quote