ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #1591
b00t
errrr, yes uh-huh?

Oddometer: 308
gncc this weekend

Ill see u there
Old 03-18-2010, 06:02 AM   #1592
KayaKTM
Day trippin'

Oddometer: 405
will we really be riding anything i can't do on the 950 with brand new knobbies? it's too wet around here to do much of anything other than just "good gravel" i think.

sorry but i'm itching to ride the 950 even with the small sensor oil leak but if you say the goods are there for the 450 i'll bring it. i do still have 1 good ride left on the rear tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne
I'm in Morganton, so we'll do some sort of ride around here. Probably start off with Maple Sally and then go from there.

Religions change; beer and wine remain. Harvey Allen
KayaKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:11 AM   #1593
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,842
Bring the 950. We'll see how far off of "good gravel" we can get.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #1594
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Old 03-18-2010, 05:11 PM   #1595
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio™

Oddometer: 1,655
I see the ruffed grouse are picking up good seats for the GNCC!

valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #1596
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Old 03-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #1597
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

This picture didn't make it last night.

Something happened to Whibley. He didn't turn up with the leaders on the last go around. He eventually showed up waaay back. Mullins spotted everyone a lead. I'm pretty sure he finished third.

Strang was untouchable. He got the holeshot and never appeared to be bested. Is Buttrick number 8? He ran second the whole time. This was pretty much the exact moment the rain started.

This was a fun uphill to watch. It had a sharp left banked turn of slick clay at the top. Not a problem for these guys.

Most impressive was Kailub Russel in the XC2. He was running third overall ahead of Mullins! He is so smooth and fast.

We were soaked when the race was winding down so we didn't stay for the wrapup. Until next year.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:13 AM   #1598
KayaKTM
Day trippin'

Oddometer: 405
awesome weekend!

thanks for the awesome weekend Gaston! over 135 miles in 4 hrs. saturday (badly needed seat time for this guy!)

great dinner and a few drinks , a little shine

the rain wasn't bothersome i didn't think and made the spectating spectacular! can't wait till next year.

Quote:
This picture didn't make it last night.

Until next year.

Religions change; beer and wine remain. Harvey Allen
KayaKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #1599
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Old 04-05-2010, 06:50 AM   #1600
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,874
Quote:
I'm headed down to the Trailer Trash rally in Georgia this weekend. Then I need to move that job up to the top of the list for my Strom.

:fingerscrossed hoping that they are all still in spec.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:45 AM   #1601
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Old 04-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #1602
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

The fun meter was in the red zone over the weekend.

Rolled into to town:

Bikes

The road doesn't actually end, it just turns to sand.

They let you ride your horses without a guide out here, but not motos. Can't say that I blame them. We headed back to Rally HQ, where things took a turn for the aquatic.

We had a bridge to catch.

The surf fooped out while we got dressed. It was big enough to move you toward shore but not much bigger than that. If we hadn't brought kayaks, it would have been chest high.

We took the boat back to Rally HQ and then headed out for

We then met KayaKTM for some more shenanigans but the sunlight and waves caught up with everyone.

Sunday morning, J-Lo suggested a motorcycle ride. Thanks!

After breaking our fast we headed out to the airfield.

Georgetown, SC

Let's zoom in under the canopy where all those boats are.

Thanks to Q and J-Lo for a great time.

And speaking of red eyes...

Gaston Gagne screwed with this post 04-05-2010 at 06:10 PM
Gaston Gagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:02 AM   #1603
rvaitor
rvaitor

Oddometer: 35
Connecting with

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedthunder.com
Don't know if you guys have ever heard of it or not, but thought this might be of interest to some for next year...

I went to an event called "Hart Square" over the weekend. I'd never heard of it until a friend that had been before told me about it a couple months ago. It's located just south of Hickory and is the product of 30+ years of Dr. Bob Hart and many of his friends and volunteers hard work of restoring old cabins, churches, barns, etc. from the colonial period. And the coolest thing is that EVERYTHING WORKS and the volunteers show you or even let you try your hand at it!

Hope you'll check out the rest of my pics when you get time because these don't even scrape the surface of what was there. Hopefully some of you will consider going next year. It is the world's (that's right I said WORLD's!) largest collection of 1700's & 1800's log cabins/structures totaling somewhere in the 80 or 90+ range, and it's right here in our own backyard. They are not replica's either. They are the real things moved from other locations nearby and restored to proper working order. The coolest part is you get to walk through everything. There's volunteers at most places telling you the history of each structure, or cooking, making pottery and bricks, molasses, moonshine (which I think was really just water), boiling peanuts, basket weaving, hide tanning, and so much more. There's also papers in most cabins telling the history of them if you happen to miss the volunteers speeches but they are there all day answering questions as well. Tickets are limited but all (or at least most) of the money goes to the Historic Society and back into Hart Square to help the up-keep and add more things.
I'm new to the list and live in Nashville, TN, but have an old family farm south of Hickory/Morganton out Hwy 18 / Old Shelby Road. I'm interested in places to ride and events around this area.

Please add me to your contact list when rides are coming up. Just bought a used XR650L and in the process of getting it up and going and learning to ride it. Will probably bring it over for some rides in the area. Suggestions on good rides and places would be welcome. I had read somewhere else about the Hart deal and visited the Burlon Craig fest a couple of years ago.
rvaitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:12 AM   #1604
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvaitor
I'm new to the list and live in Nashville, TN, but have an old family farm south of Hickory/Morganton out Hwy 18 / Old Shelby Road. I'm interested in places to ride and events around this area.

Please add me to your contact list when rides are coming up. Just bought a used XR650L and in the process of getting it up and going and learning to ride it. Will probably bring it over for some rides in the area. Suggestions on good rides and places would be welcome. I had read somewhere else about the Hart deal and visited the Burlon Craig fest a couple of years ago.
Welcome .....post up when you will be in the area and available to ride and maybe someone can join you.

From your farm simply go 18, or better yet old 18 to Morganton then head up 181. To your left will be the Linville Gorge and to your right will be the Wilson Creek Gorge.

Find Mortimer and explore the area(most everything below the Parkway is dirt roads)....Wiseman's View is nice also. The red x on above map is the Brown Mtn OHV. Several of us do ride 650 dual sports in there....but it would be a handful for a beginner as that place has some tough spots.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 AM   #1605
knybanjo
kinda slow

Quote:
The fun meter was in the red zone over the weekend.
That looked like a big time!