ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #2026
mctaggert
Full Retard

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedthunder.com View Post
A friend just told me he's in the process of re-opening the general store in Collettsville (formerly Hoyle's Grocery)! It will now be called...what else?....Collettsville General Store. For those that aren't sure, yes, this is the store on the corner of Hwy 90 & Adako Rd. by the ballfields.
Man, that is good news. I hope the place works out for your friend. It's damn handy to be able to stop in there and get gas, a snack and just hang out and talk to other two wheelers.

I was riding a bicycle down there on New Year's and stopped in the parking lot to rest and pet one of those old dogs that still hanging out around there. I was thinking it was a shame the place wasn't still in business.

And great choice on the name. I could never remember "Hoyle's" and just called it the Collettsville store
mctaggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #2027
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedthunder.com View Post
So when you and Bill coming back to do it again?

Wazzup Kevin & Alex!

I see you FFs are enjoying your surroundings.

I sure wish I lived closer to the mountains. Looking forward to riding up there soon!

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #2028
jwhampton1
Joe

Oddometer: 19
Stolen xr650l

Hi Guys and Gals,
Last night, between 9pm-7am someone stole my 2008 XR650 L out of my driveway in downtown Statesville near Mitchell College. It is red and white, with a Clarke tank on it. There is a recent picture posted below. If you have any information, or see it riding around, I will pay a reward if you can help me find it. Please call Joe Hampton at 980-307-5844 with information. Thanks a ton, -Joe

jwhampton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #2029
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhampton1 View Post
Hi Guys and Gals,
Last night, between 9pm-7am someone stole my 2008 XR650 L out of my driveway in downtown Statesville near Mitchell College. It is red and white, with a Clarke tank on it. There is a recent picture posted below. If you have any information, or see it riding around, I will pay a reward if you can help me find it. Please call Joe Hampton at 980-307-5844 with information. Thanks a ton, -Joe
Man that sucks. Best of luck finding it.

We'll keep a look out down toward Raleigh for ya.

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:44 AM   #2030
wesdawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Stolen

That sucks! I'll be looking in Charlotte,

Quote:
Hi Guys and Gals,

wesdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #2031
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,906
Quote:
Hi Guys and Gals,

If I see it in Boone I will Hog Tie em' and give you a call. But, you'd better hurry cause a BIKE THIEF might disappear around here!!
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #2032
Kestrel
Gear Driven Cams!!

Oddometer: 181
I live in the Davidson area commute into Charlotte. Will definitely keep an eye out. If you can post any other distinguishing parts or a VIN / plate, that would be great. Keep a watch on CL and EBay for parts.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #2033
Evinrude
OMC approved!

Oddometer: 141
Hello everyone, I just stumbled across this thread. I'm down in Shelby, NC. I have ridden Old NC 105 before but have never herd of Maple Sally and the surrounding area until reading it on here. I was thinking about trying it out this Sunday if the weather permits. I understand that there is a place in Collettsville to park the truck? I was also wondering if anyone had any route info or GPS coordinates they could send me to help me navigate the area (and show some fuel stops)? PM me.

1986 XT600

Evinrude screwed with this post 04-15-2014 at 06:29 AM
Evinrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #2034
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,890
Greetings,

If you start out in Collettsville, head west on Adako Road. You'll know you're getting close when you pass a housing development something like Bluffs of Wilson Creek on your right. Shortly after that on your right, you'll see Murphy Place. Take that right. About a mile in, the road splits and Maple Sally is the right fork.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #2035
Dr. Schittbaum
Snack Man

Oddometer: 103
hickory?

hey all,

I received an offer from corning cables in Hickory, NC that would bring me out there for the summer (and get me out of the heat here!)

I'm thinking I'll probably bring my 525 out there. I was just browsing through the thread here and it looks like there's a lot of nice trails in the area. Where are you guys riding? I want to start looking at maps and getting some ideas. Are there nice rides in/near Hickory or does it involve traveling? I see there's some state parks in the area. Are those open game?

What are the gun laws like there?

If everything works out maybe some of you deliverance types can show me the area?
Old 03-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #2036
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,890
Basically you have to be street legal unless you ride at Brown Mountain or Brushy Mountain. Both of those places have ass (mine anyways) kicking days of trail riding to be had. The plated riding is mostly gravel roads. There are spots of better stuff around. In Hickory, you would have a 25 mileish transfer section to the National Forest. Not too far away west of here and in VA is some tastier stuff.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #2037
Kestrel
Gear Driven Cams!!

Oddometer: 181
Speaking of Maple Sally...

I'll be passing through there on the way to my 'secret' camp spot on the BRP a bit north of Boone. Tomorrow is the day of my 7 day riding trip through western NC on the XR. Has anybody been through Maple Sally lately? Road condition? I shouldn't expect heaps of snow or anything, should I?

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:03 AM   #2038
Evinrude
OMC approved!

Well gents, I'm off (to a late start...). If anyone sees a large rider on an old XT350, that'd be me

1986 XT600
Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #2039
Evinrude
OMC approved!

Well I made it home, I had a great day. I'll try to post up a RR later tonight.

Also, I got behind someone on a white DS on my way home, we were on Brown Mtn. Beach Rd. I got distracted and didn't see you pull over until I had passed. By the time I got turned around I couldn't find you. So, was it anyone here? I hate I missed the chance to chat it up!

Ok, the pics are here: http://s384.photobucket.com/albums/o...isand4/DStrip/

I parked in Collettsville this morning and headed up Maple Sally. The road was in great shape and damp enough to keep the gravel dust down. By looking at some vids posted on here, you guys would hate to ride with me, I'm a slow-poke I had fun exploring the side trails, most of which are gated or blocked by fallen trees. I did find one gate open, it lead me to a nice field and to a couple of old outhouses(used during hunting season?)

After MS, I headed up Globe Mountain rd. Had to watch out for a few locals trying to run me off the side of the mountain. I linked up with Waterfall rd., and after taking my required pic at the waterfall, hit 321 for a pit-stop. After that, I tried to head up Richlands rd., but apparently it has been blocked off. Not knowing where any other good roads were nearby, I decided to head down to Old NC 105. My first sign of disaster was the small snow flurries in Blowing Rock, but I figured it might let up as I headed down 221 to Linville...wrong. Around 1/2 way to Linville I was in the middle of a blizzard, and freezing to death! When I got cold enough that I couldn't feel my extremities(and could barely make the bike turn a curve) I decided I had better turn my stupid @$# around.

I got back on 321 and headed down to Lenoir, caught 90 back to Collettsville (nice twisty pavement, it was fun). I threw the XT on the truck and headed for home. It took about 30mins in the truck before I could feel my fingers and toes, I think I might have overdone it a little I need to price some heated gear...

All in all it was an excellent day, the XT performed admirably (other than the poor suspension). My only complaints are the cold, and my rear tire, it's a Deathwing....and it tried to kill me

1986 XT600

Evinrude screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 04:46 PM Reason: Add pic link.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:50 PM   #2040
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,906
[QUOTE= I need to price some heated gear...
[/QUOTE]

While you were out riding I was inside watching it snow, and reading about DIY heated gear. Here's a great thread about staying warm for cheap.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=514532
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote