ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #2116
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostmarbles View Post
any one up for riding this sunday
Have to work buddy .. dangit .. we are gonna have to catch up sometime soon ..

Sent from RevBill's iPhone using Tapatalk .. Ride Blessed y'all ..
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:14 PM   #2117
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,940
New Trails in TN

I just got back from riding this afternoon in the Cherokee NF, in an area that is being opened as an off-road area. I don't know the details, but it must be opening soon because they have been clearing new trails in just the past week or two. You can google map it using Fire Tower Rd, it's off Hwy 167. I might call the ranger station to see if I can get more details. I'd assume that it will be like Brown Mtn.

The new trails are a bit slippery in spots, and it's single track. The older stuff is a bit wider and is a mix of rocky, smoothish, and some sand, with a little mud since we've had so much rain lately. Once you make it up to the tower, you can climp up and get a great view of the surrounding area to help get an idea of the layout. (Be sure to bring a cold one, they don't sell em' up there. ;) )

I think the main entrance road is on Hwy 67 because the largest gravel road seems to come that side. I've been entering from Mining Town Rd & exiting from Fire Tower Rd. (The last couple 100-200 feet coming out of the woods is posted with a couple of No Trespassing signs...)

There's another fire tower on down the same ridge towards Watauga Lake. I don't know if the trails connect.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:52 PM   #2118
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
I just got back from riding this afternoon in the Cherokee NF, in an area that is being opened as an off-road area. I don't know the details, but it must be opening soon because they have been clearing new trails in just the past week or two. You can google map it using Fire Tower Rd, it's off Hwy 167. I might call the ranger station to see if I can get more details. I'd assume that it will be like Brown Mtn.

The new trails are a bit slippery in spots, and it's single track. The older stuff is a bit wider and is a mix of rocky, smoothish, and some sand, with a little mud since we've had so much rain lately. Once you make it up to the tower, you can climp up and get a great view of the surrounding area to help get an idea of the layout. (Be sure to bring a cold one, they don't sell em' up there. ;) )

I think the main entrance road is on Hwy 67 because the largest gravel road seems to come that side. I've been entering from Mining Town Rd & exiting from Fire Tower Rd. (The last couple 100-200 feet coming out of the woods is posted with a couple of No Trespassing signs...)

There's another fire tower on down the same ridge towards Watauga Lake. I don't know if the trails connect.

You're sure of this? This is definitely a step in the right direction, as the FS usually spends more time and effort on shutting trails/riding areas down.
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #2119
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplscrambles View Post
You're sure of this? This is definitely a step in the right direction, as the FS usually spends more time and effort on shutting trails/riding areas down.

When I first found the place I had to stop and ask how to find the way in to the trails. I found a metal fab shop with a DR650 out front, so I stopped there. They owner and the guy with the bike were friendly, so we chatted a bit and the shop owner told me about the FS plans to open the trails. He said that he was planning to cater to the riders, since he works on bikes some too already. I don't think they knew a real timeframe, but said they thought it would be "soon", which is a vague word, especially when coming from the Gov.

That was about a month ago. Since then there are new temporary trail marker stakes & survey tape for the trail workers. New single track trails have been blazed, some connecting the original larger old roads, and others running much deeper down the ridge and also in other various directions. I didn't see anybody working today, so maybe the trail work is finished? They still need to mark the trails.

The private OHV park Calentee recently closed, which was nearby. Mountain City is a very popular place for bikes riding the Snake to Bristol. There's already a lot of National Park activities around the lake & rivers, and plenty of hiking & camping. I guess the FS or Carter Co. realized that they had an entire mountain that already had trails where local folks were riding that could easily become an asset for tourism with a little work.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:48 AM   #2120
dirtconnector
erythematic nucha

Oddometer: 768
Keep us posted.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #2121
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Thumb Sunday trail ride

Anybody up for a ride on Sunday? There weather is supposed to be good.

I'm planning to ride on Stone Mtn, which is the NC/TN state line. It's between Boone & MtnCity. There's a lot of trails on top, and a few very tough rocky hill climbs from the TN side. I've been on a lot of it, but there is still a lot that I'd like to explore. There's also a long ridgeline to the south, all the way to Locust Gap, that I'd like to learn the route.

Best for a light bike, with low gearing & good tires, but come on whatever you've got & we'll go where we can.

PM me & we'll decide on a meeting time & post that here for others to join in.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #2122
samft
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Glenn, I'm in Sugar Grove too and just rode up on Stone Mtn for the first time in a couple years. I know the area fairly well but it would be good to hook up and explore it a little more with someone else. I can't ride tomorrow so maybe another time soon. I am sending in my mountain trail riders club membership this week and plan on being at the Doe Mtn event on the 22nd. I know a few other decent DS loops in the area as well.
samft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:11 PM   #2123
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Howd the ride go on sun.? Im always up for seeing and riding new places. You gonna ride any this coming weekend?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:41 PM   #2124
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Howd the ride go on sun.? Im always up for seeing and riding new places. You gonna ride any this coming weekend?

I couldn't find anybody to ride Stone Mtn with last Sunday, so I hooked up with a buddy that lives across the county off Sampson Rd. I knew he was close to a lot of good trails, but I'd never ridden with him before. The riding was great, less technical & a lot faster paced than I've been riding lately. He was on a CR250 2-stroke & rides there daily, so I was proud of myself to be able to stay on his heels...most of the time anyway.

I am planning to ride Stone Mtn this coming Sunday. An inmate PM'd me earlier asking about this coming Sunday, I said "how about meeting around 11?" Nothing's "set" for certain, so maybe we could make it a bit earlier. Just depends on how far you guys are traveling from. How far away are you from Sugar Grove? (that's where I live)
Old 09-11-2012, 03:07 AM   #2125
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,907
Quote:
I couldn't find anybody to ride Stone Mtn with last Sunday, so I hooked up with a buddy that lives across the county off Sampson Rd. I knew he was close to a lot of good trails, but I'd never ridden with him before. The riding was great, less technical & a lot faster paced than I've been riding lately. He was on a CR250 2-stroke & rides there daily, so I was proud of myself to be able to stay on his heels...most of the time anyway.

I am planning to ride Stone Mtn this coming Sunday. An inmate PM'd me earlier asking about this coming Sunday, I said "how about meeting around 11?" Nothing's "set" for certain, so maybe we could make it a bit earlier. Just depends on how far you guys are traveling from. How far away are you from Sugar Grove? (that's where I live)

Barring any unforeseen problems, I can join you on Sunday. I'm in Morganton, so it takes me just over an hour to get to Sugar Grove. Earlier is probably better since I have to add on that transfer section at the end of the day.

Keep me posted.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:18 AM   #2126
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Quote:

I *may* be able to get away on sun. Yea It would have late morning for me as well, I'm a couple hrs drive from boone at least. You talking about mostly dirty and gravel stuff, right? My bike doesn't like the long pavement stints too well
Old 09-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #2127
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
I *may* be able to get away on sun. Yea It would have late morning for me as well, I'm a couple hrs drive from boone at least. You talking about mostly dirty and gravel stuff, right? My bike doesn't like the long pavement stints too well

Very little pavement once we get on top of the mountain, probably none unless we make a run into Mtn City for gas & grub.

Most of the trails aren't too intense, but there are a couple steep rocky trails that require good tires & plenty of dedication. You wouldn't want to be on a big heavy bike.

GlennR screwed with this post 09-11-2012 at 04:52 PM
Old 09-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #2128
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Stone Mtn

Update for Sunday ride.

We'll be meeting at 10am at Bulldog Rd & Hwy 421. There's a parking area there and it's near the road that goes up Stone Mtn. PM me if you're planning to ride, so we'll know to wait for you....if we're running early or if you're running late.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:45 AM   #2129
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,635
Quote:

GlennR, You're absolutely right about the riding around Old Sampson. Ridden there a bunch. Did you guys cut across from Old Sampson to the Hwy leading from Lenoir up to BR? Riding back in there is a hoot with tons of spurs off of the main.

Would love to get up there and ride some NC/TN line stuff with you guys soon. Definately need to hook up with apscrambles to combine efforts on getting the bikes up there.

Was up at Genuine Dirt Racer (North Wilkesboro) yesterday having suspension work done. They have a super nice test track and enduro trail if you guys ever want to drop in and support a realatively local dealer. Great guys who ride and know KTMs, Husabergs and WP suspensions better than anybody around.

We're racing at flat track at Coleridge Sat night, if anyone is down around Asheboro. Come on out...Good times.

Ride safe Sunday!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #2130
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

I live in Asheboro, have always wanted to check out coleridge. I just haven't done it cause I know if I see a race Im going to want to get into it. The dual sporting and hare scrambles cost me too much already!