ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #2131
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,796
I was on the opposite side of Sampson Rd. There's obviously miles & miles of trails on both sides.

The locals "have it made" down there.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #2132
Tarheel Wheeler
Around

Oddometer: 3,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplscrambles View Post
I live in Asheboro, have always wanted to check out coleridge. I just haven't done it cause I know if I see a race Im going to want to get into it. The dual sporting and hare scrambles cost me too much already!
Gathered that you lived in A'boro from the Zoo City location.

Coleridge was a hoot last night. You want to talk about inspiration...try a Pro FTer on a Kawi KX 450 with no right arm. Google Jason Griffin Racing sometime and watch an amazing guy ride a bike. He woods rides as well. He got the hole shot in the Main last night, but was pushed wide by Mike Dillon (Corner Speed and Corner Spin instructor).

Will hook up with ya Aps, to ride and combine logistics for a ride with the WNC boys.

Ride safe today!

"Get to riding or get to dying"...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE
Tarheel Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #2133
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,825
Thanks for showing us around on Sunday, Glenn. We wasted no time kicking it up to "adventure" without the need for any oath swearing. I look forward to checking out that area some more as well as Doe Mountain. I won't stay up so late the night before.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #2134
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Phil,
Glad you could make it. Wish I could have camped with you guys. Black Bear looks like a nice campground, and beer isn't far away.

We ended up in the rain, but found a couple more good trails before it got us.

You will really like Doe. The trails are all "trails", so you don't have to hunt & wonder about like we did. I will ask the MTRA (Mountain Trail Riders) for a map of Doe this coming weekend at the fundraiser on Saturday. Hopefully they will have one to hand out, obviously "somebody" has a map of some sort or all the trail workers would be lost & confused while working on the trails.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #2135
aplscrambles
WNC trail addict

Oddometer: 461
Yea Glenn had a fun ride last weekend. Next tim I'll have a gps so we can log some of the trails and make some sort of a loop, definitely had fun with that nasty hill climb! Cant wait to do it again, and maybe find others like it. Got a little iffy on that final hill climb before the pavement in the pouring rain Good times.
aplscrambles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #2136
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

The GPS will definitely be handy, and it looks like a chainsaw will be too. I was there yesterday and located the old trail, but it started getting harder to recognize & follow. The main problem is as it fades & forks. We'll need to start early with a truck nearby with a cooler & snacks. The logged roads were much drier than I'd expected, wish I'd started the day there, instead of finishing it there.

Earlier in the day I located another old trail which needs the GPS & saw too... It's in some deep dark woods near the Elk River. Looked like it used to be good trails which had been forgotten long ago. Not sure where they went, so it's hard to guess where they might exit. A couple of the main trails were broken up by sections of fallen trees & overgrowth. Without a GPS and probably some hiking I couldn't tell if the effort would be worthwhile, but had a feeling that it would be. If the lower ones continued down towards the river I'm certain they would get very steep, because that section of the river is like a gorge.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #2137
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,218
Folks,
I'm looking for a cabin to rent in the Wilson Creek area for Nov 15-18. It will need to sleep 5-6 people. A fire pit outside is real desirable. Some friends are coming in from out of town to ride the local dirt circuit. Please PM with any leads.

Thanks,
Jamie
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #2138
samft
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Folks,
I'm looking for a cabin to rent in the Wilson Creek area for Nov 15-18. It will need to sleep 5-6 people. A fire pit outside is real desirable. Some friends are coming in from out of town to ride the local dirt circuit. Please PM with any leads.

Thanks,
Jamie
http://www.brownmountainlodge.com/main.asp
samft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #2139
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by samft View Post
Thanks.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #2140
dj4tune
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
dirt and trail ride tomorrow morning.

salutations my fellow inmates. I am planing on riding maple sally to mortimer, to yancey's, then heading toward brown for some punishment. 1A>2>spring>up 8own 6 to 6>5>4 back all around to 9 to parking log. Know its late organization, just hoping for the best.

Leaving hickory around 8am

Call Me

dj4tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #2141
dj4tune
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
STill on?

I was trying a late ride mortinmer brown area. Wouldn't mind hitting some new trails. LEt ke know the meat up spot tlee, number Im on a tricked out wr250r.

704-340-2387

Darrell

r
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennR View Post
Anybody up for a ride on Sunday? There weather is supposed to be good.

I'm planning to ride on Stone Mtn, which is the NC/TN state line. It's between Boone & MtnCity. There's a lot of trails on top, and a few very tough rocky hill climbs from the TN side. I've been on a lot of it, but there is still a lot that I'd like to explore. There's also a long ridgeline to the south, all the way to Locust Gap, that I'd like to learn the route.

Best for a light bike, with low gearing & good tires, but come on whatever you've got & we'll go where we can.

PM me & we'll decide on a meeting time & post that here for others to join in.

dj4tune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #2142
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4tune View Post
I was trying a late ride mortinmer brown area. Wouldn't mind hitting some new trails. LEt ke know the meat up spot tlee, number Im on a tricked out wr250r.

704-340-2387

Darrell

r
Darrell,
I missed your post till now, but can't ride today anyway. Getting ready for the storm that's heading this way.

Hope you got some riding in.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:01 PM   #2143
patbrown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Anyone know if Stoney Fork Rd south of Barnardsville is paved or gravel?
Working a route around the BRP closure between MP 355-364.
Thought 80 north to 197 then drop down Stoney Fork back to the BRP. Some of the guys with me are on big touring bikes and I'm trying to keep them off gravel.
Thanks PB
patbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #2144
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by patbrown View Post
Anyone know if Stoney Fork Rd south of Barnardsville is paved or gravel?
Working a route around the BRP closure between MP 355-364.
Thought 80 north to 197 then drop down Stoney Fork back to the BRP. Some of the guys with me are on big touring bikes and I'm trying to keep them off gravel.
Thanks PB
No, it is not paved.

knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #2145
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knybanjo View Post
No, it is not paved.
Is there a road in North Carolina that you don't have in your portfolio?